PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some more tidbits on Barwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very random question about Barwin, but if we drafted him, while he is learning the 3-4 OLB position, and because of his ability as a TE and his obvious athleticism, could he be an option to line up as FB on occasion and help save the roster spot on a traditional FB? Just a thought.
Perhaps, Coach Waldron was looking at him for TE which includes H-back duties with a role as lead blocker.

We should probably have a new thread to discuss this. :D

The reality is that OLB is in need of help-no one is doubting that. However the ILB position in more dire through this draft. The Pat's can improve the defense faster by adding a Peppers or J.Taylor. There are no veteran ILB's out there that can do any better than say, Maualuga.After Mayo-Bruschi is on his last legs even as a role player, Guyton is similar to Roman Phifer role,there is no other help inside. One injury, and Thomas is forced back into a role that takes him away as a pass rusher. Who else can come in and play well as a rookie at ILB? Any round 2 options? Give me some names. Does Laurinaitis renter this discussion at any point? Can Barwin play ILB?
What about drafting Mitch King-Iowa DT-teach him how to play run stuffer role inside. I am looking for solutions? Nic Harris-can he move into ILB role like coach B was trying to prep Tank Williams for last year?

Who else can come in and play well as a rookie at ILB? Any round 2 options? Give me some names.
In the first two rounds (as projected by most draftnik sites) there is no ILB whom I consider a good fit, certainly not at the price.

Day Two: Tyronne McKenzie would struggle taking on blockers, but he has the skills to learn the job. I'm intrigued by Jason Williams from Rodney's alma mater - quite the downhill player who also has good coverage skills. Frantz Joseph is slow, but he's great for stuffing the run. Jason Phillips showed me excellent stack & shed capability in the Shrine game and has played MLB in a 3-3-5 so he's had to play without protection. Josh Mauga has possibilities. Robert Francois looked to have good potential when I watched him in the Shrine game. Mike Rivera showed some coverage skill early in the season when I saw him early in the season, and his testing numbers look good.

Guyton is similar to Roman Phifer role,there is no other help inside.

Guyton becoming a Phifer-like player would be amazing. Phifer was a 3 down LB who was instrumental for our 3 rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes