PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So...What's your gut feeling on the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a general bad feeling. They come too hot and the Patriots come kind of warm. If Brady doesn't get the offense scoring in every other drive, I don't see the defense stepping up to Cruz-Manningham-Hicks-Manning. It's one thing to "contain" Tebow or Flacco, another is to contain an offense that produced over 4900 yards passing and that have been in synch for 3 years.

I don't think the talk about the defense stepping up is valid. The secondary was burned badly in at least 5 plays. Steerling Moore got away from a holding penalty in the second-to-last play of the game (the pass to Pitta before the kick). Had Flacco been a better QB, I see two passes he could have converted in TDs: the long pass to Smith in the first half (he could have planted his feet and throw in that roll, he had the time; ended up undethrowing him) and another pass to a receiver I don't remember, I think Boldin that, had he thrown it on stride, he was gone. He wasn't under pressure then.

Most of the Patriots success on not giving up as many points and yards as in the regular season came from Wilfork and Love having a great game against the inside of the Ravens line, particulary the right side, and the Ravens commiting to the run with Rice even though it wasn't working.

Although the Giants don't have a great offensive line, as seen by how Smith, Smith and McDonald ate them alive in the second half of the Championship Game, they have a quicker, more experienced passer, and better receivers. Also, I think, a better coach. Or luckier, I don't know, but I know he won't be trying to establish the run if it isn't working.

As for the Patriots offense, without Gronkowski at 100%, I'm not saying it's going to suck, but it won't be lights out as much as it was during the regular season. The Giants may not have players like Reed, Lewis, or Webb in the back, but they have better players rushing the passer. Since Brady seems to struggle lately when teams back-up and rush only 3 or 4 and mix coverages behind to confusse him, and since they can afford to rush the QB with only 4, I think they have the upper hand at least based on the number of players they can commit to coverage.

I hope BB sticks to the run even if they fall behind. That seems to be a strong point in this offense that can help mittigate the "everybody fall back" strategy. Use LawFirm and Woodhead. Use Ridley. Don't use Faulk. Set screens, use Gronkowski to block upfield, split wide as though as he was healthy, and set the screens that way.

Overall, I expect a shootout. Either the Giants blow the Pats out, or it goes toe-to-toe.

the more and more the Giants and Giants fans talk crap...the more and more I feel confident the Pats will win

My gut right now is going back and forth:

a) agony over the fact that there's STILL 8 more days
vs.
b) appreciation that we're waiting only 8 days and not 8 MONTHS for our next game (and this one's for all the marbles)

c) devastation over the thought of losing to the Giants again
vs.
d) elation over the thought of beating the Giants and avenging 07.
(The risk/reward associated with losing/winning the SB against the Giants is MUCH GREATER in either case than it would have been against any other team.

But overall, my feeling is that the Pats will be triumphant:
-for players like Brady, Welker, Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, etc who play at such a high level that only the highest honor is fitting for them
-for players like Waters, Anderson, Carter, etc who came in from other teams and have made great contributions
-for Belichick to further prove his greatness (same goes for Brady, again)
-for Bob Kraft for being the greatest owner in the league, and for being largely responsible for there being a full season this year
-for destiny
-for glory
-for the rebirth/extension of the dynasty
-for MHK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giants for these reasons:

(1) Gronk may not play and if he does, he may be injured. Compare Welker's injury causing Patriots loss in 2009 playoffs.

(2) O'Brien situation is a major distraction. I don't believe for a moment his work is not suffering because he is spending so much time working at Penn State. And the fact that he is leaving is demoralizing to the players. Very tough to work for a lame duck boss.

(3) Brady is getting older. Lot of statistics about his poor playoff play the last four years: simple explanation is just that at the end of long seasons he is tired.

(4) Giants offense is laser calibrated to exploit weak Patriots secondary, since Giants love the long pass.

(5) Giants are very hot, Patriots looked terrible in AFC championship.

Last edited:

(1) Gronk may not play and if he does, he may be injured. Compare Welker's injury causing Patriots loss in 2009 playoffs.

(2) O'Brien situation is a major distraction. I don't believe for a moment his work is not suffering because he is spending so much time working at Penn State. And the fact that he is leaving is demoralizing to the players. Very tough to work for a lame duck boss.

(3) Brady is getting older. Lot of statistics about his poor playoff play the last four years: simple explanation is just that at the end of long seasons he is tired.

(4) Giants offense is laser calibrated to exploit weak Patriots secondary, since Giants love the long pass.

Don't forget #6

(6) I'm a Giants fan and I want them to win really so I'll just make up anything and hope it's true. :rolleyes:

Patriots looked terrible in AFC championship??? WTF are you talking about....... They put 23 points on a VERY good defense that gave up an average of 16 during the regular season. Our defense held them to 20 when they averaged almost 24 a game during the season.......... All this, and the Ravens played well.

You can say Brady didn't have his best day, but the Patriots beat a VERY tough Ravens team by playing a good game. You can't beat a good team (that played well) by playing terrible.

That game was lost on 2 plays........ A Patriot defender made a great play and a placekicker choked. That's really it.

Last edited:

here...have some of this....

Cheese-is-yellow.jpg

with this....

whining+copy.jpg

Don't forget #6

(6) I'm a Giants fan and I want them to win really so I'll just make up anything and hope it's true. :rolleyes:

Patriots looked terrible in AFC championship??? WTF are you talking about....... They put 23 points on a VERY good defense that gave up an average of 16 during the regular season. Our defense held them to 20 when they averaged almost 24 a game during the season.......... All this, and the Ravens played well.

You can say Brady didn't have his best day, but the Patriots beat a VERY tough Ravens team by playing a good game. You can't beat a good team (that played well) by playing terrible.

That game was lost on 2 plays........ A Patriot defender made a great play and a placekicker choked. That's really it.

And you can also say it was won on a Tom Brady 4th quarter touchdown and a great defensive play.

Washington's crappy defense kept the Giants offense to 10 points and a terrible playing SF defense to 20 in the rain, a game which should have benefited the passing game. I think the #2 most efficient defense in the NFL can do just as good or better as long as our offense doesn't turn over the ball 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:

1) Welker tore his ACL, Gronk will play, maybe at 80% maybe 100%, who knows

2) We had both the OC and DC leaving after the 04 Super Bowl, how did that work out for us?

3) Brady didnt look too tired in the Denver Game, he had a soso game against a really good D, he made a lot of big throws and scored more than the other team.

4) Giants O didnt look laser calibrated against San Fran, Manning threw the ball 58 times for a 55% completion rate, not really laser sharp, if a rookie punt returner doesnt muff 2 punts, your not playing next week.

5) Giants are hot and getting all the breaks, you need that to make it to the Super Bowl, nothing wrong with that, Pats didnt play terrible against the Ravens, thats you wishing in one hand and hoping in the other

Heres to a good game next week.

Last edited:

tumblr_leot0ybAtm1qdlkgg.gif

I'm really quite sure the Patriots are going to win...maybe by a lot. I think the Giants are the overconfident team this time. This Patriots team really wants it...the guys that were here in 07 get a chance for redemption, and I think even the guys that were not on the team then have have some of those feelings spill over to them. Also...Bill Belichick is our coach.

This team has not played their best game yet...they will play it next Sunday.

My gut feeling is brady score the game winning touchdown only for manning to take it away. That is my gut feeling

My gut feeling is that I've seen enough of this crap, and this is why I'm going to be on pins and needles to the very end (unless the Giants somehow are winning a blowout, which I don't see happening). No lead will will make me feel comfortable. That said, I hope New England wins 70-0 (although I'll gladly take a W by any margin).

I admit I don't have the greatest feeling for this one, although it's been getting better reading the forum and re-evaluating things, news reports, etc.

My gut tells me it's going to be a knock-down, drag-out fight that will shake the pillars of hell, with one team or the other making just one or two more plays (or one or two fewer mistakes) than the other.

Honestly, I'm trying not to get my hopes up (this is my first time posting on here in four years) because I hate it when I take sports so seriously that I get bothered by feeling so down about something over which I have no control. What I do know is that if the Pats win, there is going to be a triumphant scream resonating so loud from the northern Great Plains (in which I reside) that people in Massachusetts will be able to hear it - if only they could quiet themselves down (which ain't happening, I know).

i feel confident but i think we have to play a perfect game

the NYG are really a good team imho - it will be a tough game but... I BELIEVE

still one week to wait - i'm allready excited

It all comes down to turnovers. Looking at our game from earlier this year we put up 438 yards of offense but lost because we turned it over 4 times (2 INTs, fumble, missed field goal) for a -2. We simply have to protect the football better than we did that game and yesterday as well and we need to pick Eli off at least once.

This is the key,turnovers.If the Pats play at least even in the TO battle they win the game.
The Giants have gotten this far due to huge errors by the opposition and limiting their own.Giants are 6-1 in the playff turnover battle.
The Pats however are lucky to be moving on they lost the TO battle in the last 2playoff games. ( I would bet this is the only time in NFL history)
These things have a way of evening out.Pats are lucky to be playing in spite of themselves but it shows their resilency.
Giants I believe have peaked and have statistically played way over their season average.
Show me a plus turnover for the Pats and I will show you a 4th ring next Sunday.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I feelfoe this game, I just want the Patriots to blow the door off the Giants. I want to shutthem up, all the New Yorkers, all the media who say the Patriots haven't won anything since spygate (which is always wrong ebcause they won 2 playoff games and 16 regular season games, but admittedly, needed the SB as well).

For me, we haven't tried to many trick plays since Chung and the botched fake punt. We haven't put too many screens into play or dump offs to the open RB in the flat or middle. This would seem to leave us a bunch of options, but at the same time it would be deviating from our normal play. I just have to think BB has been waiting for an opportunity to get back in there and has some new wrinkle up his sleeve on how to use this offense.

Defensively, we're much likethe Giants in that we've gotten better during the stretch and that had alot to do with getting key people back and healthy. Injuries mid game might be a big x-factor for both sides.

I've had a week to digest this so here goes...I never really had a euphoric feeling after Cundiff shanked his FG attempt. I sat there for an hour in disbelief nursing my beer watching the highlights. When it finally set in, I watched the rest of the Giants/San Fran game rooting for the 49ers just because I hate all things NY. After seeing the Giants win I got that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach rehashing the loss of '07 and thinking to myself...I can't go through that again. Now that I've had a week, I feel the Giants did us a favor because I don't think the Pats would be able to win a shootout with the Saints or GB. Of course I'm rooting for the Pats to win, but I'm still pretty hesitant on predicting a win. One thing that I keep coming back to is that in 6 Super Bowl appearances, the Pats have NEVER had an easy game. They've been blown out once and had one fairly close to 4 extremely tight games coming down to the last drive winning 3 out of 4. I highly doubt this will be the Super Bowl that I dream of where I can be totally relaxed after the 3rd quarter enjoying my beer knowing the SB is wrapped because it is of course the Pats and they're playing the NY "Football" Giants. To expect anything short of a nail-biter would be very naive. Go Pats!

This one will be a W.

I feel great!

This will get me killed on the forum, but....

We're in the SB with the greatest QB and HC of all time with the league's best D limeman, O lineman, slot receiver and TE's. Fill in the rest with good players and some not-so-good, and this is the best team in the NFL. Showing an exaggerated respect for the opponent seems wierd to me unless you're actually playing in the game, I guess. Even then, what difference does it make at game time? Let the media do that! Relax. Be a fan! Have fun! We're gonna kill the Giants!! Otherwise, what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3