PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So now Culter's camp is saying Pat Bowlens lied to him too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew Bledsoe was a great QB back in 94 when he threw for 4500 yards 25tds and 27 ints?
Great to us homers I guess. Don't get me wrong I love what Drew did for this city and franchise. He was great to watch, I was on the seat of pants every game watching him.

I see Cutler and Bledsoe as similiar players. They both have{had} strong arms, Cutler is more mobile and may possibly have a better career than Bledsoe. But the one thing about Drew that we all came to figure out was the little mistakes, the ints at the wrong time. And it never got any better even up until Drew's last game when he threw his windmill pass right into the LB's arms who some how dropped it. They are so similar as far as processing information it's scary. Just my opinion so don't take it to heart. If Cutler could have as good as a career as Bledoe there is no shame in that. Bledsoe had a great career as far as QB's go. Just not legendary.
Bledsoe wasn't in the same league as Elway,Young, Montana and Favre. Just like Cutler is not in the same league as Brady,Manning,Brees or even Rothleisberger.

First let me address a couple of things here so others can know where I stand on this entire issue...

1. I side with McDaniels on this entire situation. He is going about his business in Denver exactly the way BB would. By putting Cutler on the trading block, he is sending a message to other guys in the locker room that anybody, at anytime, can be cut for not doing their job. I believe that Cutler is being an overdramatic baby about the whole thing. He almost comes off as an immature little *****, for lack of a better word.

2. When I draw parallels between Cutler and Brady, they are used as a point of reference. Not as a comparison. As I said in my last post, there is no comparison between the two. Brady is a multiple Super Bowl winner and possibly one of the top three quarterbacks ever to play the game (hell, possibly the BEST by the time his career is all said and done). Cutler is not. The reason I refer to Brady and the Pats so much is due to the fact that the Pats are the team by which you and I are most familiar with. It's easy to point them out. We were arguing inconsistent QB play, right? I could have pointed out some of the best QBs in the game today. Manning, Palmer, Rivers, even your boy Brees. But it's easier for me to point to Brady and the Pats to make or counter a point and it's easier for you to understand without having to look up Wikipedia or Google.

I don't know if I can get to every point because the back and forth is getting too cumbersome, but I will address some of the issues. The guy is far too inconsistent and can be rattled.

Again, any quarterback can be rattled. Our very own TFB was rattled in the Super Bowl. NFL defenses are far too punishing not to rattle you when you get hit. Does that mean every quarterback in the league is overrated? And I would agree with you that Cutler is somewhat inconsistent. But he's pretty far from very inconsistent. Very inconsistent would be Derek Anderson, who looked like a Pro Bowler against the defending champion Giants then looked like crap the rest of the season. Very inconsistent would be throwing more TDs than INTs in your first three seasons, which Cutler has not. I will agree, however, that he has a tendency to force balls and/or adopt the gunslinger mentality that Favre had.

First, I never said Cutler sucked. I said he is overrated. Big difference. I think he is an above average QB, but he has no awareness of the field, can't read defenses, and doesn't seem to believe in game preparation. He kinda reminds me of Daunte Culpepper in a way. Culpepper is a really dumb QB who relied on his physical abilities and never developed the mental part of the game and when he lost his physical gifts went from an MVP candidate to a marginal starter (and I am being kind here).

Again -- where is the proof that Cutler does not like watching film or skips film sessions? You said yourself before that's a rumor. There is no concrete evidence of it. As a Pats fan, have you not learned yet about those rumors? If Cutler has no awareness of the field, can you explain why he's thrown more TDs than INTs in every season that he's been a starter?

You can talk about having no running game and no defense, but you can make the same argument about Drew Brees over the last two years.

Brees had one of the best running games in the NFL to work with in 2006 and still had those two behind him in 2007. I will agree with you about the defense part though. The Saints' defense is god awful. However, using Brees only backs up my point, IMO. Brees has thrown double digit INTs every year since he's been a pro except for one. While the beginning of 2008 started off with Reggie Bush finding his way step by step on the field and becoming more and more explosive, Brees lit defenses up because they were forced to stay honest against Buch, Henderson, and Colston. Once Bush went down, Brees finished a little slower than he started. His final stats - 34 TDs, 17 INTs. Now, while 34 TDs is very good, 17 INTs is not, in your line of thinking. Brees finished with one less INT than Cutler did with, arguably, more weapons on offense to keep the opposing defense honest. In 2007, he finished with 28 TDs and 18 INTs... not a whole lot better than Cutler did in 2008.

Peyton Manning rarely has a defense to back him up although he does have a running game most years (although not last year).

So you try to tear me a new one for Brady but then use Manning as your point of reference? Yes, Manning did not have defenses to back him up in 2003 and 2004. Look what happened. No Super Bowl. In 2005, some of the pieces for Dungy's Tampa-2 were there but it was not complete. They rolled into the playoffs behind Manning, James, Harrison, and Wayne on offense and a pretty good defense. Unfortunately, Manning choked against the Steelers and cost his team the game. In 2006, the pieces were complete but injuries depleted the defense in the regular season. When those pieces came together right before the playoffs (along with Bob Sanders coming back), the Colts defense carried them to a Super Bowl despite Manning not putting up great performances in the playoffs. Lesson? The team may have it's superstar, but even that superstar needs help from personnel around him in order to be better.

Comparing Brady to Cutler is a little laughable. Even when Brady had no WRs in 2005, he was never up and down like Cutler was. Brady had bad games here and there, but Cutler had 8 games with a QB rating under 78 and six games where he threw more INTs than TDs (any time you throw more INTs than TDs is a bad game in my book). Brady has never been that inconsistent. Few if any great QB are.

Brady had pretty good receivers in 2005. You're thinking of 2006. That was the Caldwell-Gaffney-Gabriel-Brown year. And yes, I do agree that you cannot compare Cutler to Brady... as I've already said. By the way - Cutler's QB rating to finish last year was 86.0. Not bad for a guy who is supposedly overrated.

As for the San Deigo games, two points: Yes, Cutler redeemed himself with a key TD, but that TD should never had happened because of a bonehead mistake for Cutler.

Again, every quarterback makes a boneheaded mistake in his career. Even the best coaches make mistakes (see Bill Belichick vs. Colts 2008).

Yeah, this is getting tedious.

First let me address a couple of things here so others can know where I stand on this entire issue...

1. I side with McDaniels on this entire situation. He is going about his business in Denver exactly the way BB would. .

At the risk of sounding like Maverick, I need to make one point that should be very obvious by now and is the crux of the clusterf*** going on in Denver right now: Josh thinking he can handle this situation like BB would IS the problem.

I want to type the following in red, all caps, 34 point font, with about 200 exclamation points, but I'll refrain:

Josh McDaniels is no BB, not now, not two years from now, probably never. The Belichick who took his first HC job in Cleveland makes Josh look like, well a ball boy right now, in terms of football knowledge and experience. Anyone who thinks that having worked for BB in the past automatically gives him any kind of instant respect and credibility is really going about their business the wrong way.

Josh is handling this situation like a bush league coach and all the prognostication over whether Culter is overrated, or a legitimate NFL QB, comparable to this player or that statistically etc., misses the bigger point in this whole drama.

Last edited:
Again, any quarterback can be rattled. Our very own TFB was rattled in the Super Bowl. NFL defenses are far too punishing not to rattle you when you get hit. Does that mean every quarterback in the league is overrated? And I would agree with you that Cutler is somewhat inconsistent. But he's pretty far from very inconsistent. Very inconsistent would be Derek Anderson, who looked like a Pro Bowler against the defending champion Giants then looked like crap the rest of the season. Very inconsistent would be throwing more TDs than INTs in your first three seasons, which Cutler has not. I will agree, however, that he has a tendency to force balls and/or adopt the gunslinger mentality that Favre had.

There is a difference between being rattled in a game or two a season and four to six. Cutler is closer to the latter.

Again -- where is the proof that Cutler does not like watching film or skips film sessions? You said yourself before that's a rumor. There is no concrete evidence of it. As a Pats fan, have you not learned yet about those rumors? If Cutler has no awareness of the field, can you explain why he's thrown more TDs than INTs in every season that he's been a starter?

Culpepper had no awareness on the field. He didn't have more INTs than TDs. Few starting QBs do unless they really suck. Most DBs are DBs because they can't catch the ball. So even if a QB throws a lot balls that are interceptable, the percentage actually intercepted is still relatively low.

Brees had one of the best running games in the NFL to work with in 2006 and still had those two behind him in 2007. I will agree with you about the defense part though. The Saints' defense is god awful. However, using Brees only backs up my point, IMO. Brees has thrown double digit INTs every year since he's been a pro except for one. While the beginning of 2008 started off with Reggie Bush finding his way step by step on the field and becoming more and more explosive, Brees lit defenses up because they were forced to stay honest against Buch, Henderson, and Colston. Once Bush went down, Brees finished a little slower than he started. His final stats - 34 TDs, 17 INTs. Now, while 34 TDs is very good, 17 INTs is not, in your line of thinking. Brees finished with one less INT than Cutler did with, arguably, more weapons on offense to keep the opposing defense honest. In 2007, he finished with 28 TDs and 18 INTs... not a whole lot better than Cutler did in 2008.

Brees had a collapse at the end of the season. That's why he threw so many INTs. Even then he had a higher completion percentage and nine more TDs with less to work with. He didn't have a running game last year. The Saints' running game (28th in the league last year) was worse than the Broncos (12th). In fact, the Broncos lack of a running game is way overrated because they averaged 116.4 YPG and 4.8 YPC. It wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, the Broncos DID have a better running game than the Chargers (20th with 107.9 YPG and 4.1 YPC). Denver even had two more rushing TDs than the Chargers. So I guess Rivers is back on the table too.

So you try to tear me a new one for Brady but then use Manning as your point of reference? Yes, Manning did not have defenses to back him up in 2003 and 2004. Look what happened. No Super Bowl. In 2005, some of the pieces for Dungy's Tampa-2 were there but it was not complete. They rolled into the playoffs behind Manning, James, Harrison, and Wayne on offense and a pretty good defense. Unfortunately, Manning choked against the Steelers and cost his team the game. In 2006, the pieces were complete but injuries depleted the defense in the regular season. When those pieces came together right before the playoffs (along with Bob Sanders coming back), the Colts defense carried them to a Super Bowl despite Manning not putting up great performances in the playoffs. Lesson? The team may have it's superstar, but even that superstar needs help from personnel around him in order to be better.

I'll drop the Manning reference.

Brady had pretty good receivers in 2005. You're thinking of 2006. That was the Caldwell-Gaffney-Gabriel-Brown year.

I meant 2006. My bad.

By the way - Cutler's QB rating to finish last year was 86.0. Not bad for a guy who is supposedly overrated.

I agree with you there. I would expect an overrated QB to have an average QB rating like 86. You do realize Cutler was 16th in the NFL in QB ratings last year. It was worse than Shaun Hill and Seneca Wallace. Trent Edwards had an 85.4 QB rating. Jeff Garcia had a 90.2 QB rating. I don't put a whole heck of a lot of weight in QB ratings because if I did, it would be one of my stronger arguments that Cutler is overrated.

Last edited:
cutler threw 18 ints for -68 points last year

case closed ladies, he's a bum with a great arm

hello jeff george

Everytime I see Jay Cutler I see a striking resemblance to a handicapped version of Peyton Manning.

I don't mean to be demeaning to mentally impaired people, but that's what I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3