PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My way too early and I will deny making them when they end up being wrong predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the preseason is over, I decided to throw some revised predictions based on what we have seen this preseason:

• I think that Belichick and McDaniels will throw Tim Wright into the mix right away since he showed on Thursday he is a fast learner and they probably want to ease Gronk back into things over the first few weeks. I am still not sure exactly how extensively they will use him so I think he will have 40-70 balls. But for this thread where I gave hard numbers, Gun to my head, I will say he has about 60 catches for about 750 yards and 7 TDs (boy, this will peiss off condon that I made a hard prediction). Obviously if Wright puts up these numbers, some of my predictions of other receivers will be overly high.
  • All the talk about the loss of Mankins this week, I think people won't miss him by the end of the season. I expect the Pats to give up far less sacks (I am guessing about 20-25) and with Brady rebounding, the Pats will see a lot of sub packages and will still have a good running game because of it.
General NFL Predictions
  • I said that the 49ers will be a team on the decline already, but now I am predicting them as a prime implode candidate. I would not be surprised at this point if they miss the playoffs all together.

General NFL Predictions
  • I said that the 49ers will be a team on the decline already, but now I am predicting them as a prime implode candidate. I would not be surprised at this point if they miss the playoffs all together.

I agree, especially with Ray McDonald likely facing a hefty suspension. Take away Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Glenn Dorsey and McDonald and you have a significantly crippled defense. Plus Justin Smith turns 35 in a month, and at some point will start to show signs of aging.

Here's a prediction: the Pats will have the Worst OL in football & the Worst running game,
and only the magnificence of Brady will allow the offense to sustain any drives.

Here's a prediction: the Pats will have the Worst OL in football & the Worst running game,
and only the magnificence of Brady will allow the offense to sustain any drives.

Aw, Captain...that's a harsh prediction.

Let the Mankins effect wear off for a month or so, and I think you'll be feeling much better. I try and keep in mind that Belichick had to make a difficult decision regarding the OL and the team in general.

If this move allows us to keep a solid secondary intact with both Revis/McCourty, that's certainly a positive.

I think that Belichick and McDaniels will throw Tim Wright into the mix right away since he showed on Thursday he is a fast learner and they probably want to ease Gronk back into things over the first few weeks. I am still not sure exactly how extensively they will use him so I think he will have 40-70 balls. But for this thread where I gave hard numbers, Gun to my head, I will say he has about 60 catches for about 750 yards and 7 TDs (boy, this will peiss off condon that I made a hard prediction). Obviously if Wright puts up these numbers, some of my predictions of other receivers will be overly high.

As rookies, Wright (54 rec/571 yds/5 td), Thompkins (32/466/4), and Dobson (37/519/4) all had really decent showings. I think odds are that ONE of the sophomores is poised to have the type of year you described. Add that to expectations for strong production from Gronk, Edelman & Vereen (and, when healthy, Amendola), and the passing offense could be downright awesome!

Didn't people say the same thing when Brian Waters decided he didn't want to play in New England to be close to his family? Ridley rushed for over 1,200 yards that year.

You take Mankins' name off his jersey and you would see that the Pats lost a good, not great guard.

You take Mankins' name off his jersey and you would see that the Pats lost a good, not great guard.

While we're all moving on from Mankins there's no need to discredit him, he was a great player for us.

While we're all moving on from Mankins there's no need to discredit him, he was a great player for us.

He was only good last year and the year before. He was great, but he is a great run blocker and average pass blocker. Pass blocking is more important than run blocking which makes him good, not great.

I am not discrediting him. Last year, there were tons of people calling for him to be cut.

lol boyce

My early target for losses are @ Green Bay, @ Indy, and Cincy. Not that I think any are neccesarily better than the Pats. It is always hard to beat Green Bay in Green Bay especially in late November. Cincy is on a short week and the second night game in a row. Plus, their defense is a good match up for any offense. I think Indy treats the game like a playoff game for revenge for getting embarrassed in the playoffs last year.

The traditional 3 loss Patriot formula is more like:

1) Loss to a good team
2) Loss to a division foe
3) WTF?! loss

People always look at the toughest competition for the potential losses, but other than 2002, 2008 and 2009, NE hasn't struggled against the cream of their schedule. And I think we can point out obvious reasons why those rosters don't compare to this one.

I suppose we could add in 2011, but NE was on their way to a comfortable 38-17 win over Baltimore before the replacement refs took over and I've given up trying to make sense of Giant games, so I think that season earns an exemption.

Using my formula, I predict the three losses as being against Green Bay, NYJ and KC (who I do not expect to be all that good this year). Interestingly, the away schedule doesn't have very many obvious WTF? possibilities, unless they lose to Miami or Buffalo and have two division losses instead.

Oh Captain! My Captain!

In mid-season form, I see. :cool:

Truth is the fate of the O-line is very hard to predict. When Scarnecchia was there, you knew that he would put something together that was at least adequate, just because they were so well coached. You know too that they knew that Scar's departure was coming way before we did and planned accordingly.

Yes, Mankins is a big loss, but it's the kind of loss that the team have overcome in the past. Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Connolly are all very solid, experienced, tough players.

As for the new coach, Mr Guglielmo has been carefully hand-picked. But how will it work out in practice? No denying that BB has made some strange personnel decisions, but the main thing is that the coaching staff hang together as a unit. If Guglielmo isn't getting the job done as they want, you can be sure that BB and McDaniels and Daboll will be in there pretty quickly.

So my prediction is that you're wrong. My confidence isn't 100%. Still ... happy to re-visit it at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3