PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, Michael Wilbon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard his comments, and I like Wilbon. He didn't say "go after his knees". He is advocating blitzing Brady, hitting him hard, to send a message that the Pats should call off the dogs in a blowout. If you think it's okay for the Pats to run it up, then you would have to expect that the opposing team, if pissed off, would blitz Brady and perhaps hit him late.

What I took from Wilbon's comments was not that he was advocating ending Brady's livelihood, his season, or taking out his knees. He said he'd make sure Brady was helped off the field, not carried out on a stretcher. I took it to mean someone should ring Brady's bell. Again, if the Pats are going to run up the score, there may be consequences they would need to deal with as a result, and Brady getting hit, hard, might be one of them.

Wilbon isn't a thug, he's trying to get viewers and he's trying to be provocative. I'd say he succeeded.

Ah so advocating cheap shots in attempt to injure a HOF QB is alright because he's just being provocative. Give me a break. He crossed the line.

Ah so advocating cheap shots in attempt to injure a HOF QB is alright because he's just being provocative. Give me a break. He crossed the line.

Again, if you're going to keep your 1st string QB in the game in a blowout, you might expect to get him hit, hard. Never used the word cheap shot. Someone earlier made the distinction between a pitcher throwing one in the ribs or throwing at the head. I didn't see what Wilbon said as advocating cheap shots. If the Pats are just "playing hard", you might expect the defense will do the same.

I read his comments and he did not say running up the score was wrong. His comment was meant to call out the Skins for giving up on that game. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting for one moment that the Redskins should have taken a shot at Brady's knees or gone headhunting." He was saying they should have been mad about the score and they should have showed it. If it was me playing on a team that was getting schooled like the skins were I would be mad and I would be trying to make someone pay. I am not saying that trying to end a carrer is fine but trying to put someone in some pain is.

You don't think that our DB's are trying to hurt someone out there? Have you ever seem Rodney hit someone? If the Pats were getting owned you don't think Rodney would hit someone as hard as he could to take his frustrations out on them and make them pay for the a**kicking? Penalty or fine be damned.

I have a legitimate concern over what he is saying. I think that we should be pulling our starters once they game is well in hand. (Say a 21 point lead). If we leave them in and they keep putting up points we run the risk of someone taking a cheap shot. Right or wrong it is becoming a real possibility.

Last edited:
We can't take our starters out in the 3rd quarter every game. That's just flat out ridiculous, and will create complacency.

Last edited:
We can't take our starters out in the 3rd quarter every game. That's just flat out ridiculous, and will create complacency.

Agreed, but if you're ahead by a comfortable margin, and you're dropping your HOF qb back to pass, you're leaving yourself open to getting him hit, perhaps hit late.

I don't think Wilbon was advocating injuring Brady, but he didn't clarify his statement which is what Kornheiser had attempted to do. Hitting Brady before he releases the ball is perfectly legal as long is it's not at his head or below the knees. While it's not an easy task, it's much easier when compared to trying to cover all the weapons he has to pass to. Until a team can devise a way to get to Brady I think the offense will continue to pass the ball because with these weapons that is the high percentage play as opposed to the run for every other team. I mean their completion % is something 80%! :eek:

Agreed, but if you're ahead by a comfortable margin, and you're dropping your HOF qb back to pass, you're leaving yourself open to getting him hit, perhaps hit late.

If they're ahead by a comfortable margin, and the other team, being "upset", wants them to "call off the dogs" of a blowout, then it becomes incumbent upon the other team to start substituting, to which Belichick will respond by substituting as well.

Just like the Patriots, the players on the opposing team are all highly paid professionals, and it becomes them, just like the Patriots, to play football to the best of their ability for 60 minutes. The Patriots owe no team anything, including offering a salving balm to perceived hurt feelings. If the Patriots have more physical talent, a better coach with better game planning, or a front office that sees the landscape better than anyone else and acts on it accordingly, that is not the fault of this ball club club. They should not be penalized for a successful skill set and forthright management, especially when all other clubs have had the exact same opportunity to do so.

It's taken a couple of years, but it appears Bill Belichick finally has something resembling the team he really wants. After being stiffed by the league office over the placement of a camera, and vilified by his brethren in the coaching fraternity for being caught and punished for something they all do, he's only too willing now to help these teams reap what they have sown.

This team is so, good, so talented, that, yes, it has records - all kinds of records - on it's collective mind. Yes, it wants those records. All of them. How can it achieve them without playing long enough? Win or lose, undefeated or once-defeated, Sons of Light or Sons of Darkness, fandom all over the nation want to see these guys, and they want to see if they can succeed in their quest for the modern day Golden Fleece.

And just to drive the point home: a late hit that takes out Brady is causus belli, and if you think these guys play mad now, then you have no idea of what Belichick, armed to the teeth with talent the likes of which this league has seldom, if ever, seen, is really capable of.

When the Pats of old were bad, and sometimes arguably the worst team to ever suit up professionally, they never got "mercy", nor did they ever ask for it. I have a really hard time feeling sorry for these teams, and their players, who are now whining about something they most assuredly wish they were capable of doing themselves.

If you want Marquis of Queensbury, make damn sure you follow that very same script yourself.

Just to review the comments in question:

"I'd hit Tom Brady with everything I had as late as I could and take the penalty...

"If I was on the other side my goal would have been for Brady to be helped off the field, by whatever means necessary."

it's easy for a fat turd like wilbon to say "what he'd do" on the field. he'd hit him with everything he has ? the funny thing is, wilbon doesn't bring anything to the table. he wouldn't last one play on sunday. he couldn't hit my daughter hard on a football field.

i also think he's a fat racist pig.

I wonder if Wilpig would say the same thing if McNabb were having a career year, and the Eagles were winning big.

Wilbon attempted to clarify his remarks yesterday indicating that he definately does not condone going after a player's knees or his head.

However, that's not what I heard the day before. I think he crossed the line - perhaps unintentionally.

If they're ahead by a comfortable margin, and the other team, being "upset", wants them to "call off the dogs" of a blowout, then it becomes incumbent upon the other team to start substituting, to which Belichick will respond by substituting as well.

Just like the Patriots, the players on the opposing team are all highly paid professionals, and it becomes them, just like the Patriots, to play football to the best of their ability for 60 minutes. The Patriots owe no team anything, including offering a salving balm to perceived hurt feelings. If the Patriots have more physical talent, a better coach with better game planning, or a front office that sees the landscape better than anyone else and acts on it accordingly, that is not the fault of this ball club club. They should not be penalized for a successful skill set and forthright management, especially when all other clubs have had the exact same opportunity to do so.

It's taken a couple of years, but it appears Bill Belichick finally has something resembling the team he really wants. After being stiffed by the league office over the placement of a camera, and vilified by his brethren in the coaching fraternity for being caught and punished for something they all do, he's only too willing now to help these teams reap what they have sown.

This team is so, good, so talented, that, yes, it has records - all kinds of records - on it's collective mind. Yes, it wants those records. All of them. How can it achieve them without playing long enough? Win or lose, undefeated or once-defeated, Sons of Light or Sons of Darkness, fandom all over the nation want to see these guys, and they want to see if they can succeed in their quest for the modern day Golden Fleece.

And just to drive the point home: a late hit that takes out Brady is casus belli, and if you think these guys play mad now, then you have no idea of what Belichick, armed to the teeth with talent the likes of which this league has seldom, if ever, seen, is really capable of.

When the Pats of old were bad, and sometimes arguably the worst team to ever suit up professionally, they never got "mercy", nor did they ever ask for it. I have a really hard time feeling sorry for these teams, and their players, who are now whining about something they most assuredly wish they were capable of doing themselves.

If you want Marquis of Queensbury, make damn sure you follow that very same script yourself.

Powerfully put !
Deserves instant replay.

And just to drive the point home: a late hit that takes out Brady is causus belli, and if you think these guys play mad now, then you have no idea of what Belichick, armed to the teeth with talent the likes of which this league has seldom, if ever, seen, is really capable of.

If they don't want to substitute first (i.e. before the Pats) I would say a reasonable response might be to continually all out blitz on pass plays. It's not illegal, and if I'm the Pats, I don't like my QB in that danger unnecessarily. Who says it's incumbent upon the team getting beat to substitute first? I'm involved in football to this day, and have never heard that one.

If they don't want to substitute first (i.e. before the Pats) I would say a reasonable response might be to continually all out blitz on pass plays. It's not illegal, and if I'm the Pats, I don't like my QB in that danger unnecessarily. Who says it's incumbent upon the team getting beat to substitute first? I'm involved in football to this day, and have never heard that one.

Well, if you want to use that line of reasoning, why is incumbent on the Pats to substitute first - or at all?

The talking points on this subject have shifted in the past week from the inane "hurt feelings" argument to the banal "avoidance of injuries" panacea. Neither one is really a believable argument, let alone a strong one.

Injuries happen in the first quarter, second quarter, and third quarter as well as the fourth quarter. So it's not a question of timing.

If you're arguing from a point of risk, then don't bother. It's a violent game populated by monster men trying to bash each other's brains out on every play. Not only are they paid well for their efforts, they're applauded for it.

If you're concerned about vulnerability, yes, that's sometimes an issue, but it's also sometimes irrelevant. Just last week, Matt Schaub got his clock cleaned during a play he was nowhere near. 2 years ago or so (I don't remember exactly when) Vinnie Testaverde ruptured his Achilles tendon when there was no one around him. It happens.

All these guys on the field are paid ungodly sums of money to play the game. Most all of them are there most willingly, men who in another time doubtless would have been known as gladiators or some such thing, They're all warriors, they all want to play, and they all understand and accept the risks inherent in their chosen profession.

That being said, the sole arbiter of who plays when, and for how long, is the head coach - in this instance, the estimable Bill Belichick. He is not wont to be swayed by "hurt feelings" resulting from the efforts of the team he coaches, and he certainly understands that injuries are an issue in the game, but he will not make a game decision on the basis of a phantom injury threat.

It's been extolled and repeated elsewhere that this is a team on a mission, or perhaps even a date with destiny. Most people look at what's gone down so far this season and instinctively realize this season has the very real potential to be Bill Belichick's legacy season. The talent level is immense, and great things are possible. There are records they want, and can realistically achieve, and to do that, they have to play long enough into each game to realize them. Everyone, at some level, desires a shot at immortality, and for these guys, this season is that shot.

You have to understand - it's not just winning a Super Bowl here, although that is important, but a very real shot at being remembered as one of the greatest teams of all time, if not the greatest. How many guys, how many teams, get a chance to deal with that?

If I'm one of them, I think it's a chance worth taking risks for, more than one normally would under different circumstances.

Like you, I haven't heard too much about the losing team substituting when getting their asses handed to them. However, whining and crying like we've seen in recent weeks only highlights the discrepancy between the Pats and their opponents, who are increasingly sounding like the sore losers their pedestrian outings have shown them to be. They need to stop whining, for the simple reason that if the shoe were on the other foot, they more likely than not would be crowing rather than crying.

Regardless of the "argument" put forth, I'm less than impressed.

Thank God Patton didn't listen to his critics!

I don't know who you're referring to with your hurt feelings argument, I for one never argued that.

Secondly, I'm not saying injuries can't happen any time, just pointing to the likelihood that if the game is out of reach, then the defense has nothing to lose by putting on all out blitzes against our quarterback when he passes. The thought being that in blitzing, the D risks giving up big plays. If the game is out of reach, then the D is less concerned about giving up big plays, they aren't going to win anyway. And in those situations (all out blitzes) the passer has a greater chance of getting hurt.

Also, I'm not defending those who whine, you want to stop the blowout? Make a tackle.

I actually agree with the destiny pursuit, however that would make a stronger argument that if I'm the opposition, I'm not going to roll over and allow the Pats to set all the records, I may take drastic steps to prevent it.

Last edited:
I don't know who you're referring to with your hurt feelings argument, I for one never argued that.

Secondly, I'm not saying injuries can't happen any time, just pointing to the likelihood that if the game is out of reach, then the defense has nothing to lose by putting on all out blitzes against our quarterback when he passes. The thought being that in blitzing, the D risks giving up big plays. If the game is out of reach, then the D is less concerned about giving up big plays, they aren't going to win anyway. And in those situations (all out blitzes) the passer has a greater chance of getting hurt.

Also, I'm not defending those who whine, you want to stop the blowout? Make a tackle.

I actually agree with the destiny pursuit, however that would make a stronger argument that if I'm the opposition, I'm not going to roll over and allow the Pats to set all the records, I may take drastic steps to prevent it.

These are true words that GNR has been posting.

I don't give a rat's behind about ManJudas, or Norv the Idiot Blackjack Player, or Jauron the Gutless, or Warden Marvin Lewis, or Cameron Cameron, or SonofaBum Phillips; Joe Gibbs, however, should have been shown a little more respect than a(nother) fake spike - and BTW, stop with the fake spikes already; save them for when we really, really need them, like against the dolts - or a deep sideline Brady-to-Moss pass, or a Brady-to-Welker TD pass.

Your starting QB can't get injured if he's sitting on the sidelines.

And if members of the press have thought about injuring TB, then you can bet that our past victims, our future victims, and - most especially - our current opponent have already thought the same thing. Remember, the dolts have already taken out David Garrard. I don't think they were reprimanded for it, either; what a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye