PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's say Maroney can't go against the Fish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be glorious to see Kyle Eckel pound out 100 yards? This needs to happen.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be glorious to see Kyle Eckel pound out 100 yards? This needs to happen.

That'd be cool for Eckel but I'd rather see Maroney go off for 150...

Agree with you both. I expect to see Maroney unleashed, and would love to see the result of BB being careful with him. But I also wouldn't mind going with Eckel and letting Maroney get to 150%.

I expect Maroney is going to play. If not, the Patriots wil try to run and throw short passes for runs like they used to in 2001 a lot. If they have no Watson, Maroney and Morris the team with all the weapons will have a few bullets missing. Rivers will play more of course. And they'll use all 3 of the RB's left.

Although I am not a big fan of faulk, he will be the #1 or #2 option on sunday.
Faulk does well on draw plays and screens as long as he holds onto the ball.
Evans and Eckel are bit players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a new RB this week.
The big event with running backs will be the nuetralisation of R brown who is off to a great start. Expect him to have less than 100 total yards. That would leave them only Cleo Lemon to beat us...:bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

If Maroney is hors de combat (again) this weekend, then the FO needs to find a quality running mate, if not replacement, this offseason.
For the shorter term, I would waive Eckel and re-sign him to the PS, if he clears. He and Evans are the same person, and we cannot afford that luxury right now.
Then I would sign a professional RB who has the experience, or at least the potential, of finding a seam at the LOS and exploding through it.
Kevan Barlow has been mentioned, but his #s have declined across the board since his peak of 2003.
A better option might be Ciatrick Fason, Dontrell Moore or Wali Lundy, or, if you want an extra 3 years and 15 lbs., Verron Haynes.
There is also the mysterious Antonio Pittman, selected in the 4th round by NO this year (and considered a great value).
Another available RB from Fason's class of 2005 is KayJay Harris. He was one of the players I had targeted for the NEP's Mr. Irrelevant choice.
And does anyone know of Duce Staley's whereabouts?

I am keeping my imaginary fingers crossed that Morris will available vs. the dolts. The O of the NEP will need to have all hands on deck for that game, because if the D of the NEP does not improve its tackling and its middle-of-the-field coverage (i.e., the land of TEs and RBs), the O will have to score 50 points to emerge victorious.

It's also a shame that Dave Thomas was rushed off the Pre-season PUP; he would have been eligible to return to action this week, and would have been a capable replacement while Watson recuperates.

Great point about Thomas. There was no reason to rush him back.

Also, great point about needing a "professional" RB who has experience. The choices would have been better months ago, but the situation is what it is. We need a running back!

If Maroney is hors de combat (again) this weekend, then the FO needs to find a quality running mate, if not replacement, this offseason.
For the shorter term, I would waive Eckel and re-sign him to the PS, if he clears. He and Evans are the same person, and we cannot afford that luxury right now.
Then I would sign a professional RB who has the experience, or at least the potential, of finding a seam at the LOS and exploding through it.
Kevan Barlow has been mentioned, but his #s have declined across the board since his peak of 2003.
A better option might be Ciatrick Fason, Dontrell Moore or Wali Lundy, or, if you want an extra 3 years and 15 lbs., Verron Haynes.
There is also the mysterious Antonio Pittman, selected in the 4th round by NO this year (and considered a great value).
Another available RB from Fason's class of 2005 is KayJay Harris. He was one of the players I had targeted for the NEP's Mr. Irrelevant choice.

I am keeping my imaginary fingers crossed that Morris will available vs. the dolts. The O of the NEP will need to have all hands on deck for that game, because if the D of the NEP does not improve its tackling and its middle-of-the-field coverage (i.e., the land of TEs and RBs), the O will have to score 50 points to emerge victorious.

It's also a shame that Dave Thomas was rushed off the Pre-season PUP; he would have been eligible to return to action this week, and would have been a capable replacement while Watson recuperates.

Great point about Thomas. There was no reason to rush him back.

Also, great point about needing a "professional" RB who has experience. The choices would have been better months ago, but the situation is what it is. We need a running back!

Maroney will most likely be hurt again before Morris comes back.

I say we rest Maroney, if he's ready to play, let him play a few snaps against Miami, but no many. I think we should perserve him as much as we can, seeing that Morris is out for awhile, we can't offord to be without the 2 of them against Indy. I also think Eckel is better then we've seen, I remember him being pretty impressive last year in preseason, he's a great downhill runner !

The Fins run D has been hurting, true, but I'd still rather see a real NFL running back out there. Faulk will fill in fine if Maroney can't go, but I'd still rather see another body in there besides Evans or Eckel for him to split reps with.

Heath Evans, Dolphin Slayer.

Good breakdown on the RBs, it is so tough with the younger backs to understand if they can do anything more than run the ball. Anyone who fills in for Morris will have to pass block (keep the franchise in one piece), catch passes and play special teams.

In the short-term I see Maroney coming back against Miami, it is not exactly Sayers and Payton but we would have Maroney, Faulk, Evans (who has a RB at Auburn) and Eckel.

Defense - I agree the tacking (especially at Safety) has to improve, we may not need to score 50 but at least 35. It should be a battle of attrition, the first offense to run 50+ plays will be able to grind the opponent into the ground.

Maroney will most likely be hurt again before Morris comes back.

yes yes we know he's made of glass. For a patriots fan you sure are negative.

yes yes we know he's made of glass. For a patriots fan you sure are negative.

Here we go again. I am not negative ALL the time. Lately I have been getting on Maroney for his lack of durability. I say the same about Jackson. I knew Morris would get hurt eventually. Frankly I think its troubling a free agent number two was performing better then our number one stud back.

I don't swill the koolaid and think EVERY pats player is god's gift to the NFL.

I said Maroney was a concern. If he cant stay healthy and Faulk gets hurt we are screwed. I like Maroney's ability. I dont like how he is always hurt though. You nor any one else cannot tell me they don't cringe every time he takes a big hit.

Eckels and Evans are not going to hack it if Maroney cant stay healthy. Can you imagine playing indy with Faulk as the number one?

Last edited:
Update to my earlier post: Antonio Pittman is on Saint Louis' 53-man roster, as of September 2nd.

Could this Sunday be Kyle Eckel's coming-out party? Or perhaps his last game on the active roster? I don't want to see Faulk attempt > 20 runs, but I don't want TB to attempt > 30 passes, either. Damn, I miss the 2004 Clock-Killin' Corey Dillon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes