PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Skins/Eagles - MNF thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that his PE portfolio is questionable at best. IMO, Snyder has taken many risks and like any good businessman, has experienced failures.

The origional arguement was, "Is Daniel Snyder a good businessman". We'll have to agree to disagree or derfer to time as the judge. He can sell the 'Skins tomorrow and walk away with $600m in cash - plus or minus $100m.

This is an interesting argument to pursue. On paper, yes it looks like Snyder is a good business man in terms of strict cash gains; i.e., if he were to sell the Skins tomorrow, he would have made a profit.

But in terms of maximizing the bottom line, we know that winning is intricately tied into extracting the most of ROI, in terms of owning a sports franchise.

We think about the top 1% traders on Wall Street- take Soros for example, the man who "broke the bank of England" when he bet everything he had against the depreciation of the English pound and ended up making $1 billion in one day of trading, in '92.

So is Snyder a good businessman? Yes. The best? No.

EDIT: NEXT YEAR, the Skins will have 10 guys in excess of 5M, and the Pats will only have 5 (if they don't resign Wilfork, or Mankins), but seeing as how theres no cap next year, thats irrelevant.

the Skins could have $200 million to spend, will be the same hype, nonsense, and underperformance - funny that a Pats fan of all people would defend it

the Skins could have $200 million to spend, will be the same hype, nonsense, and underperformance - funny that a Pats fan of all people would defend it

I'm not defending anything. I'm saying that these "the skins waste their money on top free agents" is ludicrous. All teams spend tons of money on top players.

Where the skins do poorly is the middle of their roster. They've got a ton of 3 and 4M players who just aren't any good. Their issue is talent evaluation and lack of draft success. NOT spending top money on FAs.

Last edited:

Who here has defended the spending patterns of the Redskins in this thread? I seem to have missed that post. Stating that blaming the Haynesworth signing for the Redskins troubles is wrong is not the same as defending the Redskins spending habits in general.

Last edited:
I'm not defending anything. I'm saying that these "the skins waste their money on top free agents" is ludicrous. All teams spend tons of money on top players.

all teams don't spend on $100 million on a defensive tackle who has to come off the field after every first down

all teams don't get stuck with $17 million in dead money against the cap charges because of all the massive signing bonuses they have to write off when they cut guys, and the reason these hits are there is because Snyder loves offseason hype press conferences with skill position players who can sell jerseys and create buzz, he is the anti-Kraft

taking a $12 million hit for Tom Brady is one thing, taking a $6 million hit for Jon Jansen after he's gone is another

personally, I think the cap could be gone for good after this season, but the hatred here for Dan Snyder is already having an impact on the Skins' ability to maximize revenue, it's very different than the end of the Cooke era teams in the mid to late 90s who got as much support as the Super Bowl championship teams

The Skins franchise was a top tier money maker before Snyder bought them. Since that time the value of 'any' NFL team has risen with the tide of NFL growth. Good football businesmen like Kraft have seen the relative value of their franchise rise above the tide. Snyder is destroying the value of his franchise. Fanbase inertia and NFL well being makes it less visible from a strict financial book value viewpoint at this instant in time.

Last edited:
all teams don't spend on $100 million on a defensive tackle who has to come off the field after every first down

None do. And its funny when you say this and your team is going to probably drop almost as much on Wilfork.

Haynseworth's deal is 4 years, 44 million. It is followed by a TEAM option for 6 years, 56 million. It is NOT a $100M deal.

all teams don't get stuck with $17 million in dead money against the cap charges because of all the massive signing bonuses they have to write off when they cut guys,t
The Patriots have $12M worth of dead cap space.

taking a $12 million hit for Tom Brady is one thing, taking a $6 million hit for Jon Jansen after he's gone is another

Kind of like taking a 5M hit for a retired Corey Dillon?

Last edited:
I need the Eagles to do well because I have McNabb and the Eagles Defense on my Fantasy team. :D

Welcome to the board nikkinicole ...

joined here on 10/26 and already your member page is approaching 75 visits ... ;););).

Last edited:
The Skins franchise was a top tier money maker before Snyder bought them. Since that time the value of 'any' NFL team has risen with the tide of NFL growth. Good football businesmen like Kraft have seen the relative value of their franchise rise above the tide. Snyder is destroying the value of his franchise. Fanbase inertia and NFL well being makes it less visible from a strict financial book value viewpoint at this instant in time.

I contend that if the team was winning, he'd be a genius. The problem is this is where Snyder is being an idiot. Hes doing a good job making money and marketing the team.

The problem is that he is not practicing what he did as a successful businessman- which is to hire kick-ass people, delegate responsibility who are SMEs and get the hell out of the way.

Last edited:
None do. And its funny when you say this and your team is going to probably drop almost as much on Wilfork.

who was drafted by the team, plays every week, and will be signed post salary cap

The Patriots have $12M worth of dead cap space.

half of which is for Richard Seymour for whom they get a 1st round pick in 2011, not for someone who's retired like Jon Jansen, moreover, Pats are under the cap by nearly 3 million

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back