PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sirius Radio says Bodden still in Houston, could sign a deal later today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats could not have franchised Bodden, they may be willing to pay 8 million.

Although, I doubt it.

Re: Sirius Radio says Bodden still in Houston,could sign a deal later today

The Pats answered the question of whether Bodden is worth 8 Million by NOT tendering him

No question.

I think it's a done deal. Bodden is going to be a Texan.

I would throw some serious money at Asomugha if Davis would be crazy enough to trade him away.

I wouldn't. You don't build a great defense under a budget/cap by throwing $10M at a CB, no matter how good he is. Using that money for the DL, LBs or multiple DBs is the better plan.

I'm just waiting for this board to blow up when Bodden signs with the Texans for 5-6M.

Why are people throwing out the number $8 million a year? Are some people already trying to justify losing him.

It's a pretty safe bet that when Bodden is finally signed with somebody, his contract numbers are going to be closer to $5 million a year than $8 million a year.

I'm just waiting for this board to blow up when Bodden signs with the Texans for 5-6M.

It'll be all Bodden's fault. He'll be overpaid, ungrateful and a malcontent.

Your point is 100% accurate. I'll looking at FAs and signings from 3 different angles and trying to determine what a FA is...

1. Value to the Team
2. Worth to the Team
3. Market Demand
4. Payroll Ranking within team.

I look at value being what this player does for you that is incredibly important to your team. We can all agree that VW has tremendous value to the defense. Bodden. A good deal, but not great. Worth- If you were to sign Bodden and trade him (like a commodity or asset) what is his worth to you and to other teams. Wilfork- substantial. Bodden- good amount. With market demand, it looks like Bodden is going to get big money. As it relates to the Pats, (IMO) their value and worth assessment is lower than the market. Payroll. By dishing out potentially $8m for Bodden, the Pats are saying that he is their 2nd most important defensive player. IMO I don't see it.

And to add to this, value to the team is not a direct mapping to what a player is "worth". At each position you can find a high-priced player that is "worth" that money, but under a salary cap you have to pick and choose very wisely of which positions you give the high-priced contracts to.

I'll miss Bodden if he isn't retained, but I also understand that CB is probably the least important position on the defense. Bodden with no pass rush is worse than Pass rush with no Bodden. Both would be ideal obviously, but if they need to use that $$ to fix more important areas, then that's what they need to do.

Now... come on Bodden, don't be stupid!

Why are people throwing out the number $8 million a year? Are some people already trying to justify losing him.

It's a pretty safe bet that when Bodden is finally signed with somebody, his contract numbers are going to be closer to $5 million a year than $8 million a year.

Robinson's 6y/$57m carries an annual-average of $9.5m w/ a $25.5m signing bonus.

My thinking is that Bodden will get less than that, but not 1/2 less.

The homers will all state that is still "only the first week of FA"

but I don't know where his replacement is going to come from. Can't expect Wheatly or Wilhite to match him, can't expecta rookie to come in and match him and there are scraps left in free agency.

If the PATS lose Bodden they will be significantly worse at one of the 2 nost critical positions on defense while their intradivisional rivals (Jets and Dolphins) have both upgraded their defense

If he signs 4 years for 20 million with 8-10 guaranteed..I do not know why the PATS would not do that.

but I don't know where his replacement is going to come from. Can't expect Wheatly or Wilhite to match him, can't expecta rookie to come in and match him and there are scraps left in free agency.

If Bodden cannot be retained, his "replacement" is likely to come in the form of pass rushing rather than an equally skilled CB.

If the PATS lose Bodden they will be significantly worse at one of the 2 nost critical positions on defense while their intradivisional rivals (Jets and Dolphins) have both upgraded their defense

If he signs 4 years for 20 million with 8-10 guaranteed..I do not know why the PATS would not do that.

They may be worse at CB but that does not mean they will be worse overall defense when all is said and done.

I know he is not worth 8 Million...and Julius Peppers is not worth 13 Million either.

There is alot of crazy money floating around this uncapped season.

I dont think its because of uncapped, i think its because there are so many less FAs due to the length of service to be UFA increasing.

It is. Another 7 months of potential transactions to be accurate.

Draft. Trade. FA. Many great CBs were acquired via the draft.

Pats have some needs on the D. It has been proven that you don't need great corners to win a SB.

Those numbers seem reasonable. I'm pretty confident the Texans are offering double that.

The Pats answered the question of whether Bodden is worth 8 Million by NOT tendering him
As I recall, Bodden included language in his contract a year ago that the Pats would not place any type of tag on him. In other words, he was planning on seeing what he could get as a free agent this spring even before he signed with the Pats a year ago. It was also why he was signed to a one-year deal rather than a multi-year contract.

As I recall, Bodden included language in his contract a year ago that the Pats would not place any type of tag on him. In other words, he was planning on seeing what he could get as a free agent this spring even before he signed with the Pats a year ago. It was also why he was signed to a one-year deal rather than a multi-year contract.

Nice recall. I had forgotten Bodden had that language in his 1-yr deal.

Last edited:

Yeah I just don't see the Texans giving him $8M a year, wouldn't make sense if you think about it. They let Dunta Robinson get away for about 1M more per year, why go out and pay somebody else who is unproven on your team the same type of money.

I read somewhere where DeShea Townshend might be a looksie for the Pats.

Anyone more familiar with this ex-Steeler?

Pats tried to sign him in 2006 based on believing as the Steelers did he was a great nickle back who was a servicable starter on a SB defense (and based on the horrendous season Asante turned in 2005...even as he was already chirping about his contract and not interested in doing the off season program with the team). They offered him $7.5M for 4 years, Steelers matched the offer and he chose to stay with the team he'd started with and won a ring with. He wasn't an RFA. He's strictly a nickle now but could provide some veteran presence/depth depending on where they stand with Springs (locker room wise).

I wish Boldin would have felt that way

Last edited:

Exactly -- this was Bodden's plan all along, and he was pretty open about it:

1) Get out of the black hole known as the Detroit Lions
2) Avoid longer-term deals and include language to restrict tag usage
3) Sign a cap-friendly one-year deal with a playoff-bound team historically known for defense -- i.e. Patriots
4) Play hard that year and create interview reel for next job
5) Explore free market and sign with best option for the player. Could be with Patriots, but in no way guaranteed.

Give Bodden credit -- he followed his plan to a T, and things more or less worked out for him.

However, there's no way Belichick and company have been banking all of their long-term CB hopes on a guy who comes in the door insisting on a one-year, no-tag deal. Bodden's departure, if it does happen, was at least a highly anticipated outcome.

Maybe his replacement is on the roster and will emerge as he did in Cleveland a couple of years after being signed as A FREAKIN' UDFA...LOL

And who is to say those other teams have actually upgraded as opposed to adding a player who may be a replacement wash or who doesn't replace players they lost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back