PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we overpay for Adam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Felger has been saying for a while now, that we should overpay and keep him. Today, he provided a few facts.

Per Felger:

Games that AV misses directly cost us a game over past 5 years -

2005 - Denver 43 yarder - debateable, making the kick brings us within 8 points.

2004 - None

2003 - Week 4 at Washington, he missed a kick in a game we lost by 3 points.

2002 - None

2001 - None

AV in a dome on turf - career misses - None.

Tom Brady is 7-0 in overtime, AV has not missed in OT and won 6 out of 7 of those games (Troy Brown TD in Miami was the 7th)

AV = money, as in making field goals and as in what it will take to keep him. I still say that overpaing by as much as 500/M per year is relatively short money - keep AV, please.

fgssand said:
Felger has been saying for a while now, that we should overpay and keep him. Today, he provided a few facts.

Per Felger:

2005 - Denver 43 yarder - debateable, making the kick brings us within 8 points.

2004 - None

2002 - None

2001 - None

Tom Brady is 7-0 in overtime, AV has not missed in OT and won 6 out of 7 of those games (Troy Brown TD in Miami was the 7th)

AV = money, as in making field goals and as in what it will take to keep him. I still say that overpaing by as much as 500/M per year is relatively short money - keep AV, please.

I guess the answer is what you would consider overpaying. I don't like the list though. It suggests that if he missed a field goal, but we won, it doesn't count. Off the top of my head, in addition to the one's mentioned, he missed two in the Superbowl, two in the game against Houston that we won in overtime. Because the team overcame those misses doesn't make them irrelevant.

fgssand said:

Per Felger:

2004 - None

2002 - None

2001 - None

I want to keep AV, can't think of anyone i would rather have kicking for the Pats....but didn't he miss 2 dome kicks in SB 38?

Right he missed 4 alltogether there
plus cost pats 2 wins in pete carroll last year here
Pete record would have been 10-6 last year here cost us going
to playofs.Then our history changes pete would not have been fired

pats-blue said:
I want to keep AV, can't think of anyone i would rather have kicking for the Pats....but didn't he miss 2 dome kicks in SB 38?

One was blocked, but maybe he kicked it too low. SB 38 was in Houston; was the roof closed that day?

Sign Adam.

Fanfrom1960 said:
One was blocked, but maybe he kicked it too low. SB 38 was in Houston; was the roof closed that day?

Sign Adam.

just give the man his money!

I would be willing to pay Vinatieri up to $5 million per season. Our super bowl hopes hinge on whether or not he signs with us.

Relax.
BB promised Adam he would not tag him again. He put a $2.5mm/yr multi-year deal on the table. So now Adam wants to test the waters. But he reads. He hears people like the Tuna say he'd be stoned to leave. He's not stupid.

He will go out and see what his value is on the open market. He will then weigh it against the offer by BB and all of the perks he has here. The offer keeps him as the highest paid kicker in the league, at least for now.

He hesitates, makes us nervous, then re-signs with the team.

pats-blue said:

Relaint Stadium is grass not turf.....Felger is tricky

huskeralk said:
I would be willing to pay Vinatieri up to $5 million per season. Our super bowl hopes hinge on whether or not he signs with us.

I totally agree that he is worth and more.

Are we doing this again? OK Bob Kraft should give Adam his house, car and Gillette Stadium.:singing:

For what I've seen and heard the deal that he has been offered is good enough. I love Adam but if he is going to be really greedy, don't let the door hit him in his ass on the way out.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Don't. Overpay. Anybody.

OMG, TSD you ARE BB in disguise aren't you?

I was listening to WEEI all day at work and they all seem to think it is a matter of a few hundred thousand dollars that is keeping Adam from re-signing. If that is truly the case then give it to him!!!

One point they made today that I agree with is that when AV goes out to make a kick we don't worry about him missing it! With a new kicker, be it Longwell or Vanderjgat we would not have that same comfort. I think the extra half million or 750K is worth it!

I really think that we should make Adam the highest paid player in the NFL. Just think, we could top Manning's deal...or even more if that's what it takes.

id hope we keep adam, i know hes not perfect but how can you expect him to be? 3 kicks ill never forget, snow bowl, SB36 and SB38. should we not want brady cuz he never plays well againts miami? or maybe cuz he is 1-4 all time against denver. well he sucks, lets look to trade him *rolls eyes*

groundgame said:
I totally agree that he is worth and more.

Would you say......$10 google?

Bill's Girl said:
OMG, TSD you ARE BB in disguise aren't you?

I was listening to WEEI all day at work and they all seem to think it is a matter of a few hundred thousand dollars that is keeping Adam from re-signing. If that is truly the case then give it to him!!!

One point they made today that I agree with is that when AV goes out to make a kick we don't worry about him missing it! With a new kicker, be it Longwell or Vanderjgat we would not have that same comfort. I think the extra half million or 750K is worth it!

Do you really think WEEI has any clue or insight into AV's deal? Herald says there was no guarantee or bonus money - I am still hopeful it will play out that he stays.

hwc said:
I really think that we should make Adam the highest paid player in the NFL. Just think, we could top Manning's deal...or even more if that's what it takes.

...at the very least! In fact, I would be willing to spend the entire salary cap on him. :D

Just another way to look at it all...

From Pro Football Talk.com....3/4 seems to have gottten lost amongs all the CBA drama...an interesting blurb about vets.....

"Guys who probably should be taking all of this to heart include, in our opinion, Jets quarterback Chad Pennington, Titans quarterback Steve McNair, Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander, Colts running back Edgerrin James, Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri, and Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El.

The problem, as we see it, is that the players are hearing the advice of their agents when the time comes to decide where to sign or whether to take that pay cut to stay put at a time when another team has already said (hypothetically) that it would pay more. Agents, you see, usually don't care about the 30 years of income following the pro football career (unless, of course, they're the ones lining it up and getting a fee for doing so). Instead, the agents want their points on the biggest pie available now, without regard to whether a move to a new town screws up the potential earnings post-football in the old one.

So think about the future, guys. It's coming. You can't stop it, but you can plan for it. And one way to do so is to know when to conclude that a little less now could translate into a lot more later. "

I do wonder about whether AV has looked at this...and it is very legitmate..in a few years, the agent is gone..he has his money and?? The long term is far from looked at...I think this may indeed swing the pendulum back this way.
It should!! Listen to BillP who brought you here..he knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back