PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shefter on Cassel as a QB [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put me among those who believe Cassel is a top 10 QB now. Line up all the best QBs in the league and ask yourself "who would you rather have in a big game?" The only clear picks are Brady, Manning, Roethlisburger, Warner, and maybe McNabb, Brees and Rivers. Cassel was phenomenal late in the Jets, Dolphins and Seahawks games. He had presence.

Put me among those who believe Cassel is a top 10 QB now. Line up all the best QBs in the league and ask yourself "who would you rather have in a big game?" The only clear picks are Brady, Manning, Roethlisburger, Warner, and maybe McNabb, Brees and Rivers. Cassel was phenomenal late in the Jets, Dolphins and Seahawks games. He had presence.

I'd agree with your list, minus McNabb and Brees.

I'd agree with your list, minus McNabb and Brees.

Minus McNabb maybe, but minus Brees? Brees almost broke Marino's yards-passing season record. Brees is really, REALLY good.

Minus McNabb maybe, but minus Brees? Brees almost broke Marino's yards-passing season record. Brees is really, REALLY good.

Yeah, maybe, but I've decided to hate him forever and can be heard to spew "Drew Brees Sucks Balls" at various times throughout the season.

Re: Adam Schefter & Michael Lombardi - MC one of top 5-8 QB's in FOOTBALL.

I personally agree with this. Watching film of Cassel the last 4 games of the season, he looks almost "Bradyesque" at times. He really looks more like Tom Brady than any other player I have seen.

Almost?

Remember Gil during the @MIA game? "Empty backfield for Brady, three receivers . . . er, for Cassel!"

Quite simply, here's the way I see it: Cassel's floor is probably a sturdier Chad Pennington. If he can make his long ball consistent, his ceiling could be a defense's worst nightmare: a Tom Brady who can run. [And here's the really scary part . . . Kevin O'Connell is waiting in the wings for his turn on stage. :)]

Almost?

Remember Gil during the @MIA game? "Empty backfield for Brady, three receivers . . . er, for Cassel!"

Quite simply, here's the way I see it: Cassel's floor is probably a sturdier Chad Pennington. If he can make his long ball consistent, his ceiling could be a defense's worst nightmare: a Tom Brady who can run. [And here's the really scary part . . . Kevin O'Connell is waiting in the wings for his turn on stage. :)]

It should be wrong for such things to make one feel giddy...

It should be wrong for such things to make one feel giddy...

Speaking of which . . . have you ever gotten the feeling that in that sig pic of yours, Cassel is thinking "I know something you don't know. . . ."?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. I defended Cassel when most people wanted him beheaded or staked out for the ants, but people have just gone way overboard. The Patriots had 2 wins against playoff teams: a Miami team that really had no business making the playoffs and a Cardinals team that didn't bother to show up for the game. Cassel feasted on the worst teams in the league. This doesn't make him a bad player or a good player, but for people to act as if he's clearly in some upper quarterback echelon is just insane.

Yeah, maybe, but I've decided to hate him forever and can be heard to spew "Drew Brees Sucks Balls" at various times throughout the season.

LOL, fair enough!

I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. I defended Cassel when most people wanted him beheaded or staked out for the ants, but people have just gone way overboard. The Patriots had 2 wins against playoff teams: a Miami team that really had no business making the playoffs and a Cardinals team that didn't bother to show up for the game. Cassel feasted on the worst teams in the league. This doesn't make him a bad player or a good player, but for people to act as if he's clearly in some upper quarterback echelon is just insane.

Oh God, your point is exactly what I'm thinking.

It is all supply and demand. Even if he was universally rated a top 10 QB for 2009, that doesn't mean there are 22 teams willing to trade for him. Only Titans, Jets, Chiefs, Lions, Vikings, Panthers, Bucs, Redskins, Niners and Rams are even viable options. The Titans, Panthers, Redskins and Rams seem to be willing to go with what they have in 2009. Nobody is trading for Cassel to sit in 2009 and become the franchise QB in 2010 or beyond. That leaves only 6 teams possibly in the bidding.

That is still a healthy market to get good value in a trade, but start knocking a couple off (Jets would never offer enough, Chiefs and Lions look long-term with Stafford and Sanchez, Vikings trade for Sage) and now things get a little dicey with only two bidders. Drop one more team and the trade value nosedives. Lose the last team and goodbye salary cap (and maybe Wilfork).

If the Pats have a deal in place, all of this is moot. If they don't, there is significant risk this situation could end up less than optimal.

If the Pats have a deal in place, all of this is moot. If they don't, there is significant risk this situation could end up less than optimal.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume they thought about that possibility before they franchised Cassel. I don't know what their contingency plan is, but I'm sure they have one that doesn't consist of "Oh, s#%t! We have to pay Cassel $14.6 million!"

I'm not sure what "less than optimal" means. IF you believe that Cassel is the real deal and not a one year wonder or a product of the system, then the only way the Pats can really lose out is by trading him too cheaply. He's worth a lot, even if only as insurance for Brady. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and someone named Manning have won 7 of the last 8 SBs. The NFL is still a QB-driven league, and a top QB has almost immeasurable value.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume they thought about that possibility before they franchised Cassel. I don't know what their contingency plan is, but I'm sure they have one that doesn't consist of "Oh, s#%t! We have to pay Cassel $14.6 million!"

Absolutely. Belichick doesn't take a dump without a plan. That is why I said "less than optimal" and not "badly".

"Less than optimal" to me includes any scenario where Cassel isn't traded. I can't think of a situation where Cassel's cap hit for the Pats wouldn't be problematic. I'm thinking that Belichick at least has a trade partner in place, with the logistics (trade and Cassel contract) still in play. Obviously any deal could go sour for a number of reasons, but I would imagine both Belichick and Cassel want to see a trade happen.

If Matt Cassel going forward is the Matt Cassel who played the second half of last season, of course he is top 8 in the league. He might be on that second tier below Brady and Manning and possibly a few others.

This is why I think the Pats will get good trade compensation for Cassel. He is potentially a franchise QB that a team can build a championship around. In this league, those are few and far between. I think someone will bet the farm (if they haven't already and we will find out in the next few hours or days) to get him. He is a safer bet than the second best QB in the draft in Mark Sanchez.

Re: Shefter on Cass el as a QB [merged]

Let's not forget that besides all of the abilities we have watched him develop and accrue this season, that in the total of his college and NFL career there is only one season of wear and tear on his frame. AFAIK he's never been injured, never mind seriously. If he can realize all of his potential, there is an easy 8 to 10 years of franchise level starting caliber QB in this man.

system qb, nothing more

this is what the pats specialize in

people want to believe in a great player more than a great system

That means that Montana and Young were also system QBs. But hell they are in the Hall of Fame, so what does it matter?

speaks to the system belichik has installed in NE

if cassell would have had a full camp last year as the #1 , going into the season, the pats would have finished alot better than 11-5, and probably would have won the superbowl

if brady doesn't get hurt they'd have finished alot better than 11-5 and probably would have won the superbowl

yup .bill walsh installed the west coast system when he got montana .montana is also a system qb. he played in the west coast system only.as did steve young.:rolleyes:
not comparing casel to any of thse but i never get this system qb argument.Not everyone plays like brett favre -throw high and deep and pray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft