PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaun Rogers available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badluck

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
JasonLaCanfora
Browns have informed NT Shaun Rogers he will be released. Rogers, 31, has had off field issues and was due to make $5.5M w/ a $500k bonus

It hasnt been posted yet so why break the tradition of making a thread saying the pats should sign a guy whenever a semi relevant player becomes available

Pros: Big strong and fairly athletic for his size, when motivated as a youngster he was a beast for a half a season or every so often. Played well for romeo in his 3-4 when he was coaching the browns. Potential could be reached when playing for a winner, the only two teams hes played for are the lions and browns (poor guy) Could be paired well with Wilfork.

Cons: Hes 31. can be lazy at times. We dont have much room at D-line to take a flyer on a guy like this and draft a youngster in april.

IMHO the Cowboys will be all over this guy

I'm a bit wary of Rogers. Seems like a less insane, much less talented version of Haynesworth.

The Pats have Big Vince. The Pats need a DE, not NT. Personally, I would rather see the Pats go after Kenyon Coleman who got cut with Rogers. Granted Coleman would be more of a first and second down type of player (strong against the run, but sucks as a pass rusher) and would be more of role player than a starter. Not a strong advocate of going after Coleman either, but he would be a better fit at a need.

Rodgers isnt very good anymore... certainly not worth the baggage he brings.

Shaun had 2 sacks in 2010... Not good

We would be getting a slightly younger version of Gerard Warren.....no thanks

The Pats have Big Vince. The Pats need a DE, not NT. Personally, I would rather see the Pats go after Kenyon Coleman who got cut with Rogers. Granted Coleman would be more of a first and second down type of player (strong against the run, but sucks as a pass rusher) and would be more of role player than a starter. Not a strong advocate of going after Coleman either, but he would be a better fit at a need.

I think this is right. Go with Wilfork/Love at NT, re-sign G. Warren or add a Coleman type so you have a third experienced d-lineman, and possibly add a high pick to the line if you love the guy and the value is right (say if Dareus slides or you think highly of M Wilkerson).

Poor comparison considering Rodgers at 350 is more of a NT than Warren at 330 who played DE for us. Although 330 should be ok to play the Nose but evidently he lacks the strength to do so.

Rodgers may be worth a cheap flyer if he has got something left in the tank. Sacks aren't everything. I would like to hear about how he held up vs the run and did he get a good push on the center. That's what makes guys like him effective in our kind of defense.

Ted Washington was 375 and had 2 sacks in 10 games in 03. But his effectiveness was felt all over the front 7. I don't think anyone will question that. He never had more than 4.5 sacks in his career.

Is Rodgers worth bringing over? Only if they can't or don't think there is another DE or free agent worth bringing in. Personally I think the move would be nice because it would create disquises for Wilfork in a 3 man front and better enable us to play 43 with a couple of tanks in the middle.

Poor comparison considering Rodgers at 350 is more of a NT than Warren at 330 who played DE for us. Although 330 should be ok to play the Nose but evidently he lacks the strength to do so.

Rodgers may be worth a cheap flyer if he has got something left in the tank. Sacks aren't everything. I would like to hear about how he held up vs the run and did he get a good push on the center. That's what makes guys like him effective in our kind of defense.

Ted Washington was 375 and had 2 sacks in 10 games in 03. But his effectiveness was felt all over the front 7. I don't think anyone will question that. He never had more than 4.5 sacks in his career.

Is Rodgers worth bringing over? Only if they can't or don't think there is another DE or free agent worth bringing in. Personally I think the move would be nice because it would create disquises for Wilfork in a 3 man front and better enable us to play 43 with a couple of tanks in the middle.

Ted Washington was a better player than Shaun Rogers. Not counting CLE and OAK, every defense he played on got immediately better from the previous year.

Last edited:
The Browns actually liked Rogers better as a DE than as a NT. Can be unblockable at times, but has a history of conditioning and weight issues. Off the field-issues aren't nearly as bad as you would think, he's rather a somewhat dumb guy instead of a bad guy. The Browns even saw him as a positive locker-room influence. Could be a playmaker for the Patriots if he's in the right shape, motivated and not given too many snaps.

Wouldn't mind bringing him in for training camp ( if there ever will be a camp this summer, given possible lock-out ), could still be cut if he doesn't pan out.

Rogers went to the Pro Bowl in 2008. I expect the Chiefs to be among the teams looking at him.

DE is more about height than weight. A reason vince can play DE but cannot pass rush like a 3-4 DE.

DE - TALLER to see over gaurds to where the qb is and if he is passing.if so they go into pass rush mode. They also need to be tall and fast enough to close on a qb for a sack as they have to cover more distance .

what type of analysis is that? wilfork only had 2 sacks too

Ted Washington was a better player than Shaun Rogers. Not counting CLE and OAK, every defense he played on got immediately better from the previous year.

You shouldn't even mention those two in the same breath. Washington was one of the best NT's to ever play the game. He sucked up lineman like milkshakes.

He sounds like a raiders kind of player.

Shaun Rogers isnt a great fit scheme wise for the Pats. While he may have the body of a NT he is best suited as a UT in a 4-3. He's a gap shooter that likes to get in the backfield ans isnt very disciplined when controlling gaps. He's more like an Albert Haynesworth type of player than Vince Wilfork. Saying that I think a lot of 3-4 teams will be interested based on size alone. I wouldn't be suprised to see him end up in Washington, Houston, KC or even the Jets.

he only started 1 game last year not sure way ?

Browns GM says all the losing Rogers has done over the years has affected him

Rookie error, botched the headline:
Browns G.M. Tom Heckert said that all the losing Rogers has done over the years has affected him.

Patriot Rehab?
He may be very, moody angry fellow.
Wishes to break things.
Tom Heckert sends a warning message about Shaun Rogers | ProFootballTalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Browns G.M. Tom Heckert said that all the losing Rogers has done over the years h

He seems like he would be a great player, and he has always been a beast, if the Pats were to sign him i'm sure that would improve the defense. ALOT. Rodgers and Wilfork. That would be something, BUT I think that would only take playing time away from Pryor, or Brace, Wright, etc. It's mainly the young guys that worry me.

If he would sign for cheap, mentor the young guys, and put some pressure on QB's, that would be great. I don't see him landing in NE unless BB is ready to cut some yung lineman.

Re: Browns G.M. Tom Heckert said that all the losing Rogers has done over the years h

He seems like he would be a great player, and he has always been a beast, if the Pats were to sign him i'm sure that would improve the defense. ALOT. Rodgers and Wilfork. That would be something, BUT I think that would only take playing time away from Pryor, or Brace, Wright, etc. It's mainly the young guys that worry me.

If he would sign for cheap, mentor the young guys, and put some pressure on QB's, that would be great. I don't see him landing in NE unless BB is ready to cut some yung lineman.

You want this to mentor your youngsters???

You people are insane. The rehab is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST