PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen is the new Kevin Faulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchmaster617

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I watched the two fourth quarter scoring drives about twice last night and the same tonight, And while Blount had one run for 3 yards before the Edelman TD let us acknowledge Vereen:

4 catches and 2 carries for 33 yards on the two drives, another catch for a 5 yard first down taken back on an offensive penalty:

After the helmet to helmet on a huge 21 yard Edelman catch....Vereen screen for 11 yards followed by ETIII late hit
After that Lafell incomplete where Simon cries to the refs and....well Vereen rush for 2 yds

Next drive:

Brady pump fake...Vereen for 8 yards!
Next play Brady to Vereen for 4 yds
After a nice Edelman catch, Vereen for 5 and a first (no good due to a stupid penalty)
Huge Gronk play followed by Vereen stuffed for no gain (but a catch)
After another huge Gronk play Vereen rush for 8 yards (this was HUGE IMO)

Gotta bring this guy back..gotta

There's lots of talk about not re-signing Vereen, and have J. White as our "Faulk".
Frankly, I don't believe J. White has anything to offer. He looked good in pre-season, and nothing in regular season.

IMO

I think Vereen comes back. The SB just highlighted his value as a player. It was always there, but never so obvious a choice as what the game plan called for Sunday. Loved what he contributed. 11 catches! If not for Demaryius last year, he'd have tied the SB record, also held by two other Patriots (Branch, Welker). Pretty awesome stuff.

This guy put in work for us in the Superbowl. My gut tells me someone looks at that and throws more green at him than the Pats. Plus my mom is a Vereen so he's a distant relative(yea right lol), but on a more serious note we sort of need this guy. He is very Faulk like.

Vereen was awesome in that Texans playoff game few years back. Last year was really good but he somewhat disappeared this year until the Superbowl. If he comes back and we use him like we did in the big game or like last year. The offense is honestly unstoppable with the additions of Gronk and LaFell

Sorry - as much as Vereen deserves a ton of credit for his SB contributions, he's not even close to Kevin Faulk. Great game and that one handed catch was incredible, but I think someone will overpay him and we'll have to move on. Anyone remember JR. Redmond's super bowl?

Love Vereen but there is a 75% chance he is playing in another uniform next season

they don't win without him...pats need a back like vereen against the elite defenses.

I was expecting a huge season for Shane statistically so I was actually a little disappointed with him as of late but damn he was crucial to the win. Didn't have any big plays per se but he was instrumental in keeping the chains moving.

There is not enough cap space for everyone. I think Ridley is out the door, I would not be surprised if vereen prices himself out as well.

I am hopeful gotkowski and mccourty are resigned.

Ps: I think the pats like Cody prewitt as a fs draft pick.

I would love for Vereen to return but I have my doubts that the Patriots will pay nearly as much money for him as another team will. Someone will pay big for him, but not us. It comes down to whether he will take less for title chances, which I don't expect.

It could be likely that we are watching the James White show next year.

would love to see vereen come back, nice option out of the backfield

faulk was the screen pass master!:D

Shane Vereen is Faulk's equal in everything except receiving, ball carrying, blocking, kick returning, and punt returning.

That said -- it's a crucial position, and I want Vereen back.
I think Faulk's blocking was simply amazing for his size ... took him a few years to get there but he did it.

Vereen came thru! That was a clutch performance!

Vereen & all the receivers/runners were clutch in the SB & throughout the POs.
I can't even recall the last turnover on offense by someone not named Brady.

I agree that Vereen is a key piece of this offense, as long as LeGarrette Blount is the main running back on 1st and 2nd downs and in 3rd and short. They need to make a competitive offer to bring Vereen back. The combination of Develin, Blount and Vereen is a complete and diverse-threat backfield.

Vereen as Kevin Faulk's equal? Not really. Vereen is as good, if not better, as a receiver. Faulk was a far superior pass blocking back, and blocker in space. Faulk also was a solid return man, althought not as dangerous as Edelman on punts nor Danny Amendola on kick returns.

Vereen and Faulk are different as running backs. Both are reliable, don't fumble, and hit creases quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft