Welcome to PatsFans.com

Seau

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ropese, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ropese

ropese Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Anyone know how bad his injury is? He did leave the game early and never came back.

Thanks
  2. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I didn't even know Seau was hurt. As far as I know he's fine. None of our reporters have said anything about him being hurt. No one on the fifth quarter either.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  3. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wow, i didn't know he was hurt---i haven't heard anything else about it.
  4. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm fairly certain I saw him in there late in the game. I definately know he was in there as late as the Rudi Johnson TD, I saw him on the replay.
  5. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

i thought he wasn't in there becuase they were in the nickle late in the game
  6. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

We started playing with a 4 man line, 2 LBs and 5 DBs in the second half. BB had some unusual defensive formations out there. I think Seau's absence was by design, not because of injury. We'll know more when the injury report comes out.
  7. alamo

alamo praedica numerum! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The gamebook credits him with an assisted tackle on the very first CIN series, then never mentions him again for the rest of the game. Either he had a truly horrible game and was pulled early or he was injured, unfortunately. But it is indeed surprising we haven't heard anything.
  8. bishbash

bishbash Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Surprising we haven't heard about whether a Patriot's player is injured or not? What, is the sun rising in the West tomorrow?
  9. jaychamp

jaychamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Didn't the Pats switch to a 4-3 late in the 2nd quarter?
  10. alamo

alamo praedica numerum! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I don't expect the team to volunteer a lot of info, but the local media is normally anything but a bunch of lapdogs like in some other cities, and I expected some reporter to questions BB about it after the game.
  11. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

He was still in there later in the game; I remember seeing him fail to break loose off a couple of blocks and the RB going by him. Not sure if that was late 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter though. But I think it was the cincy drive where they got the TD.
  12. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 2 / -2

Seau?

Jarvis Green brothers

gameplanning extroidinaire
  13. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The defense began the game in a 43 with Jarvis starting at RE. In the next two plays of the opening drive, they reverted back to their traditional 34 set, then switched back to the four man front. They continued to switch back and forth for the duration of this drive.

On the defense's second series, they mostly showed a four man front with Wright seeing many snaps as a RT. On the last third down play of this series, the D switched to a 3 man front with Poteat shooting through on a delayed blitz to force an incompletion.

On their third series, they mostly played out of a three man front.

Though I cannot state with any degree of certainty, I suspect the Dline kept switching back and forth throughout the course of the game.

As far as Seau goes, yes, he was blown out of running plays many times by the lead FB blocker. But we've seen Sam Gash do this to him often to expect it. And though I really can't say he played as well as Bruschi, he still had a very solid game dropping into coverage all over the field in protecting lanes.
  14. shakadave

shakadave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Seau must be feeling pretty good about his decision to come to NE about now. I like to think of what he's thinking-but-not-saying while he's among Patriot teammates. Things like "wow, you can go into Cinci and WIN?" Even though he's a HOFer, he's in a brave new world right now.
  15. arrellbee

arrellbee Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Very good observations. Perhaps the key thing to notice was that it seemed like there was little that you could call 'classic' on many of the downs.

For example, on the first down of the game that Wotan mentions, it was a 4-3 but with two ILB who stayed in the middle and a ROLB.

The 2nd and 3rd plays were pretty much standard 4-3

but on the 4th play, you had a very different set. You had a 4-3 with Seymour and Green in the middle of the DL and linebackers in down stance at the ends of the DL (Colvin at 'LDE' and Banta-Cain at 'RDE' with Bruschi tucked right up at the line between Colvin and Green. Poteat is up almost to the position of a ROLB and Vrabel slides from ILB to right side of line to cover man in motion and Poteat backs off leaving effectively no ILB.

On the 7th play (1st-11:53) the set was a 4-2 with a LOLB and a RILB. Then Harrison comes up into the LILB spot and appeared to plug the line (effectively) as a LILB rather than as a blitz. Wright did a really good job at RDT of holding the line and then sliding off to make the tackle with Bruschi right there to stop forward progress.

As I say, a lot of non-'standard' defensive sets.
    As ususal, it's frustrating with the camera shots available to figure out DLmen and LBs a lot of the time.
  16. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good stuff and the camera shots make it impossible when you're trying to figure out what the DBs are doing downfield away from the ball. Wish the telecasts ran more bird's-eye-views on replays. On thing that surprised me was that the D never played in a two lineman set in big nickel or dime as I expected.
  17. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just finished watching the replay On Demand, and from what I saw, I couldn't pinpoint any injuries. I think he was pulled by design. As far as getting blown out on running plays, he's been getting beat all year on stretch and mis-direction plays. He has been over-agressive, has over-persued and has failed to stay home. This is a new experience for him, not having to carry a large burden by himself. This will be coached out of him, I am certain. Then the cut back runs will stop gashing the d up the middle.
  18. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is his first time at ILB so he is having to adjust and get used to playing the new position with different responsibilities.
  19. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I checked a random play in the 2nd quarter.

He was in there.

I checked a random play in the 3rd quarter.

He was in there.

The few random plays I checked in the 4th quarter were in the 4-2 nickel, prevent defense.

He wasn't in there, but only because Vrabel and Bruschi were the LBs and Colvin/TBC the DEs.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  20. fillylabinga

fillylabinga Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You just described every Seau play from this year.

Seriously, I don't think I've seen him shed a block and make a tackle even once.
  21. arrellbee

arrellbee Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You know, you have to be a little careful listening to or repeating uninformed analysis. I haven't gone back and looked at Seau's plays in slow motion, so maybe I would see what folks are sying or maybe I woudn't. But in the Broncos game, just from stats (which may, of course, not tell the full story) -

He had 2 solo tackles and 11 assists for a total of 13 (leading the team).

5 of the assists were on pass plays at least 4 of which were wide receivers which certainly wouldn't have been his assignment at all but shows his hustle and pursuit.

He had 2 solo tackles against the run, both of which were stops for 0 yards gained.

He had 6 tackle assists against the run where the plays averaged 2.7 yards.

As I say, stats don't necessarily tell you what you want to know - but those stats certainly do raise some serious questions about some of the critiques against him as to whether folks know what they are talking about.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.