PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau or McGinest: who will have a better season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will have a better season?

• Willie McGinest

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • Junior Seau

Votes: 32 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
The parallels are obvious. One #55 leaves, another arrives. Both played at USC. Both are linebackers. Both have multiple Pro Bowls on their resumes. One is 35, the other is 37.

So while the media lambasted the Patriots for cutting 35-year old Willie McGinest for salary reasons, the same media calls the Patriots "desparate" (Len Pasquarelli, ESPN) for signing 37-year old Junior Seau, who arguably was the far superior player in his prime.

My question therefore is, who will have the better season? At this point in their careers, who will produce the most THIS year? Not that the answer to that question alone tells us who we should have on the roster because McGinest is getting paid far more in Cleveland than Seau is in New England. But at the end of this season, who do you think we would have WISHED we had on our roster, McGinest or Seau?

I had to vote for McGinest just because he seems way more likely to stay healthy. If that weren't a factor I would vote for Seau behind our DL vs. McGinest behind the Browns'.

I'm a self-admitted homer but I have to say McGinest in this case. Seau's recent injury history, age and expected limited use (running downs only) could all keep him from putting up the numbers. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll help but he's not going to mean as much to this defense as Willie will to the Browns.

The Next One said:
I'm a self-admitted homer but I have to say McGinest in this case. Seau's recent injury history, age and expected limited use (running downs only) could all keep him from putting up the numbers. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll help but he's not going to mean as much to this defense as Willie will to the Browns.
I agree if you base it on the past 3 years but injuries are tough to predict. Willie was on the shelf a lot of the time between 1997 and 2001, when he was in his mid to late-20's. Ironically he has been relatively healthy since then, but will he be healthy this year. Junior has been on the shelf a lot of the past 3 years but will he be injured this year?

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results." ;)

Assuming both guys stay healthy, it has to be Seau by default, doesn't it? He's the guy surrounded by superior talent, and being asked to play a small, specific role. Willie has to go into Cleveland and be a starting OLB, with a poor defensive line in front of him and a worse secondary behind him (not to mention a 3 and out offense keeping his unit on the field). All he's got is whatever Andra Davis and the rookie Wimbley give him for help on defense. Contrast that to Seau, who gets to play with Vrabel, Colvin and Bruschi, with a half ton of grade A, black angus quality beef controlling the trenches in front of him, and a solid secondary behind him, and who will likely only have to play 15 snaps a game or so, and will likely be playing with a lead more often than not... the choice has to be Seau, regardless of their individual talents.

Willie will have a greater impact on his team. Though who wouldn't in Cleveland?

PromisedLand said:
So while the media lambasted the Patriots for cutting 35-year old Willie McGinest for salary reasons, the same media calls the Patriots "desparate" (Len Pasquarelli, ESPN) for signing 37-year old Junior Seau, who arguably was the far superior player in his prime.

My question therefore is, who will have the better season? At this point in their careers, who will produce the most THIS year? Not that the answer to that question alone tells us who we should have on the roster because McGinest is getting paid far more in Cleveland than Seau is in New England. But at the end of this season, who do you think we would have WISHED we had on our roster, McGinest or Seau?

first of all during their primes willie was very close to seau, NO WAY was seau far superior, so far off on that statement

for ur question i say willie has the better year, seau is often injured at this point in his career, and willie still has a knack for the big play
plus willie will be in for a lot more plays

Ummm hellooooooo? Junior getting his first ring is better than Willie earning the #1 draft pick over all.

patsfan55 said:
first of all during their primes willie was very close to seau, NO WAY was seau far superior, so far off on that statement
First of all you might want to look up the word "arguably" in the dictionary before you dismiss my point. Secondly, Seau went to 12 Pro Bowls and is a lock for the Hall of Fame. Willie went to 4 or 5 and is a long shot for the HOF. That's my case that Seau was superior in his prime. What's your case?

edit: oops I did say far superior. My bad - I have edited the above.

for ur question i say willie has the better year, seau is often injured at this point in his career, and willie still has a knack for the big play
plus willie will be in for a lot more plays
10 characters

Last edited:
I hope Seau He is a Patriot McGinest is a Brown. But I will never Understand why we let him go. It makes no sense to me. If some one wants to take the time to explain it by all means. I know we have to get younger, but based on our options keeping him would have made more sense.

Born_a_Patriot said:
I hope Seau He is a Patriot McGinest is a Brown. But I will never Understand why we let him go. It makes no sense to me. If some one wants to take the time to explain it by all means. I know we have to get younger, but based on our options keeping him would have made more sense.
He was going to count a bizillion dollars against the cap - I don't remember the exact amount - $8M, $9M, $12M, whatever it was was way to high to spend on a 35 year linebacker. Once we let him go we made what the team felt was a fair offer and Cleveland bid more. That's nobody's fault; it's just the way the system works. Willie himself said he has no bad feelings about on Rome Is Burning, yesterday.

Willie Mac - he shows no signs of slowing down. Remember the Jacksonville game? Effin awesome.

Junior will have the more successful season, because his team has a legit chance to win the SB.

Well, guess you'd have to define "better season". Better, as in highest personal #s, or better, as in wearing a Super Bowl ring in Feb.?;)

bishbash said:
Well, guess you'd have to define "better season". Better, as in highest personal #s, or better, as in wearing a Super Bowl ring in Feb.?;)
I tried to define "better season" when I wrote "at the end of this season, who do you think we would have WISHED we had on our roster, McGinest or Seau?"

We all seem to agree that Willie Mac would be better on the Pats, but the Browns D is spotty and for someone of his age, I question his ability to hold up playing 50 plays a game. I think Seau will do very well here.

I've got a feeling that by Week 7ish that this D will be rolling and Seau will have been able to grasp the defensive concepts with Bruschi helpig him be in as better position to make plays.

So I guess I say that Seau will have a more sucessful season based on the surroundings and supporting cast.

Willie had the heart of a champion.....I mean, how many times, late in the game, when you are so tired it hurts to breath did Willie come through with a great defensive play. And how about all the years he played DE at 275 lbs and taking on 300-335 lb D lineman?

Willie earned his SB rings. If Seau plays one more season at 90% of what he used to be for the whole season and playoffs, I will gladly buy a Seau jersey. But I for one, will never say Seau is better than Willie. I wish the Pats would retire his # when he calls it a career.

NEM said:
Seau is hungrier for a Super Bowl ring, imo. And, he appears to be in fantastic shape, and from the look in his eyes, that I have seen...he is going to be a revitalized player, much the way Dillon and Rodney were.....and Traylor and Washington too.....

Something happens to these kind of players when they become a part of this team..and it shows both on, and off, the field.

Junior will have a fantastic season, IMO.

as dirty as it makes me feel
its kinda like the way players are when they go to the (throw up a lil in my mouth) yankees

hey, nem, bout to go onto 15,000-mazel tov

Seau will have a better season.
McGinest is old slow and will be injured soon...

Patjew said:
Willie will have a greater impact on his team. Though who wouldn't in Cleveland?

You are correct, sir. Willie's rejoining RAC and coaching of players on the field will make a big difference in installing the 3-4 that RAC had to abandon last year. They just didn't get it. While his stats may drop off (teams won't be heading his way to avoid Sey and Rosie), he isn't learning to fit into a new system like Seau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News