PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mankins is being a **** about this. And the pats O-Line has looked great without him anyway. If he refuses to publically apologize then screw him. Got to send a message to the players that they just can't come out talking smack about the owner

I think Mankins is being a **** about this. And the pats O-Line has looked great without him anyway. If he refuses to publically apologize then screw him. Got to send a message to the players that they just can't come out talking smack about the owner

I'm beginning to wonder if any conversations other than a private one between Kraft and Logan, ever took place. The owners keep saying that there is no deal with Logan. So who keeps putting it out there that there is one?

Kraft says this report inaccurate/untrue.

Any update?? Thanks!

Basically he said Mankins did apologized to him and the negotiation did happened, the patriots offered an extension around Nick Mangold money (he didn't give exact figures) but the Patriots has never reach a deal with Mankins, said negotiation is both side thing.

(Side note: He also was asked about Randy Moss towards the end, definitely should check out the audio on demand when it's available on WEEI!)

So here is a question from left field.

What stops a team from making an unreasonable request as part of the contract? Is there anyway (if this really did happen) that Mankins could say he is ready to play and the Pats need to cut him if they are waiting for a public apology.

As much as I do think Mankins should apologize how can they possibly make that demand? I do not think they can. But, I am no lawyer

I've actually spent a good 10 minutes reading 21 of the 25 pages and am left scratching my head a little. My PERSONAL take on it is that if you are paid a salary by someone, that someone is your employer and your actions need to be about building up the company.

I own my own small business that deals with the public. I keep the "business" end of my business private...but if an employee of mine decided to PUBLICALLY slander my business or ethic (ie stand out in front of my business with a sign saying I'm a liar etc) that person would need to do some serious public apology for me to even consider possibly keeping them on the payroll. The Patriots are in the public spotlight and this has nothing to do with straying from the "Patriot Way" and everything to do with protecting the brand, the team and the other thousands of employees that work for the organization. Kraft and the FO are doing what any other pespected company would do, and quite frankly I feel they have gone above and beyond by even giving him an offer after the public trashtalking of his Employer. Mankins was WAY out of line from the minute he decided to slam Kraft publically and is an idiot for not publically apologizing. Oh and the argument about them being football players and expectations are different etc, thats crap...a grown man should act like a grown man. my 2 cents.

Basically he said Mankins did apologized to him and the negotiation did happened, the patriots offered an extension around Nick Mangold money (he didn't give exact figures) but the Patriots has never reach a deal with Mankins, said negotiation is both side thing.

(Side note: He also was asked about Randy Moss towards the end, definitely should check out the audio on demand when it's available on WEEI!)

Thanks!!

Just read the BH link someone posted on the other thread that covers this. I was doubting public apology request but looks like Kraft preferred that.

(Need to check on the Moss comments later during lunch. Thanks again for the heads-up!)

So here is a question from left field.

What stops a team from making an unreasonable request as part of the contract? Is there anyway (if this really did happen) that Mankins could say he is ready to play and the Pats need to cut him if they are waiting for a public apology.

As much as I do think Mankins should apologize how can they possibly make that demand? I do not think they can. But, I am no lawyer

They didn't. Kraft asked him to make his private apology public within their lone conversation on the matter where Logan had apologized, apparently sincerely, so that people would know this isn't the way you get a deal done here. Logan said whether he signed here or was traded and signed elsewhere he absolutely would do that because he realized in hindsight he'd mispoken. He said he still hoped to finish his career here and go into the Patriots HOF, and Bob said that was his fondest wish too!!

That was three weeks ago. Then they began talking deal again and Robert isn't involved in that, football ops is Bill's area and while Kraft "blesses" deals he doesn't get involved in the actual process - Floyd does. What obviously happened is as they began to talk the numbers didn't jump to where Mankins or his agent must have anticipated they would. And they apparently don't want to admit that is all it is. It can't be that they don't think he's worth Evans money, so it must be they are unreasonable idiots who elevate insulting players they would like to retain for a fair price to an art form...:rolleyes:

I've actually spent a good 10 minutes reading 21 of the 25 pages and am left scratching my head a little. My PERSONAL take on it is that if you are paid a salary by someone, that someone is your employer and your actions need to be about building up the company.

I own my own small business that deals with the public. I keep the "business" end of my business private...but if an employee of mine decided to PUBLICALLY slander my business or ethic (ie stand out in front of my business with a sign saying I'm a liar etc) that person would need to do some serious public apology for me to even consider possibly keeping them on the payroll. The Patriots are in the public spotlight and this has nothing to do with straying from the "Patriot Way" and everything to do with protecting the brand, the team and the other thousands of employees that work for the organization. Kraft and the FO are doing what any other pespected company would do, and quite frankly I feel they have gone above and beyond by even giving him an offer after the public trashtalking of his Employer. Mankins was WAY out of line from the minute he decided to slam Kraft publically and is an idiot for not publically apologizing. Oh and the argument about them being football players and expectations are different etc, thats crap...a grown man should act like a grown man. my 2 cents.

I think this makes my point though. Sure this is a reason to cut Mankins. But, is it a reason to keep him while not actually signing him? Can they make an apology demand as part of his contract agreement? I don't think so.

It sounds like they're still talking which means Mankins could be still be signed any time.

I guess the more I think about this the more I think the story is completely BS. Schefter should be called out for running with a story that really does not make sense. There is no way it happened the way he reported

It sounds like they're still talking which means Mankins could be still be signed any time.

As long as this poor reporting did not hurt negotiations

I think this makes my point though. Sure this is a reason to cut Mankins. But, is it a reason to keep him while not actually signing him? Can they make an apology demand as part of his contract agreement? I don't think so.

And as Kraft clearly stated, they didn't. Kraft suggested one was in order and Mankins AGREED and said whichever way it went, whether he got signed here or somewhere else, he would absolutely do that because he acknowledged he knew in hindsight he had mispoken earlier and regretted that. Then apparently some time later, maybe a little as 90 minutes later (perhaps after seeing the offer the team was then prepared to put on the table??) something changed... Logic dictates it was probably disappointment triggered by either the latest offer...or perhaps inability to line up a trading partner willing to pay more, either...

And as Kraft clearly stated, they didn't. Kraft suggested one was in order and Mankins AGREED and said whichever way it went, whether he got signed here or somewhere else, he would absolutely do that because he acknowledged he knew in hindsight he had mispoken earlier and regretted that. Then apparently some time later, maybe a little as 90 minutes later (perhaps after seeing the offer the team was then prepared to put on the table??) something changed... Logic dictates it was probably disappointment triggered by either the latest offer...or perhaps inability to line up a trading partner willing to pay more, either...

Yeah, I agree. I have not made my stance clear but really I was questioning the story as reported by Schefter

If Kraft wants to run his football franchise like he and his wife have to best friends with all his employees, he should get out of the business.

You're right, Upstater, he doesn't know how to run a business or a football team.

Bring back the Sullivan family or Victor Kiam.

You're right, Upstater, he doesn't know how to run a business or a football team.

Oh yeah, I loved Victor. He made such cool ads.:rolleyes:

I think this makes my point though. Sure this is a reason to cut Mankins. But, is it a reason to keep him while not actually signing him?

THIS is why you will never get with 1,000 miles of an NFL front office job (but, neither will I).

Mankins is under contract for another year. Why cut him and get nothing? He's a tradeable commodity. What you suggest is business suicide.

I said IF

Do you know how to read?

THIS is why you will never get with 1,000 miles of an NFL front office job (but, neither will I).

Mankins is under contract for another year. Why cut him and get nothing? He's a tradeable commodity. What you suggest is business suicide.

He's under contract?

No, the team holds his rights. He's not under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe