PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats to sign Kendall Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had two players capable of starting in Callaghan and Britt. Do you believe that there are better players than them out there? I think that LeVoir is probably almost ready and will be on the team as soon as is allowed. Until then, we have Vollmer and a street free agent to add if there is an injury.

Umm, O'Callaghan and Britt capable of starting? How do you come up with that conclusion?

Simmons was a terrific guard for Pittsburgh. If he can heal and recover someting of his former form, he would be a terrific pickup. Given Neal's age, salary and injury history I could see Simmons bumping Neal, but I think it's pretty unlikely because Simmons is coming off of an ACL tear and needs to prove himself healthy as well as adapt to the Pats' system. Pittsburgh was hurting badly for OL, but still cut Simmons, which doesn't bode well, but it's worth giving him a shot to see if he can regain some of his former form.

They are capable of starting because when they did for the patriots they did fine.

Also, next week O'Callaghan will likely be starting for an NFL team.

Umm, O'Callaghan and Britt capable of starting? How do you come up with that conclusion?

Simmons was a terrific guard for Pittsburgh. If he can heal and recover someting of his former form, he would be a terrific pickup. Given Neal's age, salary and injury history I could see Simmons bumping Neal, but I think it's pretty unlikely because Simmons is coming off of an ACL tear and needs to prove himself healthy as well as adapt to the Pats' system. Pittsburgh was hurting badly for OL, but still cut Simmons, which doesn't bode well, but it's worth giving him a shot to see if he can regain some of his former form.

Last edited:
NFL Network analyst Jason LaCanfora is saying they signed Simmons to a 3 year deal. Anyone else see this?

This would make sense. If true, this is by far the best news this week. He would be a 2010 starter if either Neal or Mankins isn't re-signed.

NFL Network analyst Jason LaCanfora is saying they signed Simmons to a 3 year deal. Anyone else see this?

They are capable of starting because when they did for the patriots they did fine.

Sorry, but Wes Britt was a marginal backup, much less a starter, and O'Callaghan spent more time injured than playing. Hence both were bumped by Mark LeVoir last year. With Vollmer and LeVoir we actually have 2 backups who are capable of starting, unlike past years.

I think signing Simmons for 3 years would be a great deal. Put him on IR (or PUP, if he is eligible) and let him get healthy. He is 3 years younger than Neal, who is a UDFA after this year. Hopefully resign Mankins; Mankins and Simmons would be a terrific guard combination if Simmons regains anything like his old form. If Mankins can't be resigned then Simmons and Neal is still a solid combo.

LeVoir is a future starter. The question is about now. Many are suggesting that we sign an OT. I suggested that if we needed insurance for the next six weeks, Britt or Callaghan would serve the purpose. Do you disagree?

Sorry, but Wes Britt was a marginal backup, much less a starter, and O'Callaghan spent more time injured than playing. Hence both were bumped by Mark LeVoir last year. With Vollmer and LeVoir we actually have 2 backups who are capable of starting, unlike past years.

I think signing Simmons for 3 years would be a great deal. Put him on IR (or PUP, if he is eligible) and let him get healthy. He is 3 years younger than Neal, who is a UDFA after this year. Hopefully resign Mankins; Mankins and Simmons would be a terrific guard combination if Simmons regains anything like his old form. If Mankins can't be resigned then Simmons and Neal is still a solid combo.

LeVoir is a future starter. The question is about now. Many are suggesting that we sign an OT. I suggested that if we needed insurance for the next six weeks, Britt or Callaghan would serve the purpose. Do you disagree?

As you know from our numerous exchanges, I was always in favor of carrying 4 OT's, with either Britt or O'Callaghan making the 53 man squad (probably O'Callaghan, based on his performance this preseason) until LeVoir returns from PUP. My only question was calling them "starting caliber" linemen, as opposed to "needed insurance" linemen.

I think BB views Levoir as the 4th OT.

I think Simmons is weak and this move makes no sense. I do not think Simmons is even an upgrade over Connelly.

I thought he and Britt were capable of not beating out Kaczur which is why they're gone. Vollmer's as big and much more agile IMO.

Not a sexy signing but I like this pick-up, he's a nice mauler.

And you too think that it is the norm to have only three OT's instead of four. These two were indeed beaten out for the game day backup position by Vollmer. We have carried an additional OT, usually inactive, as long as I can remember. We have chosen to take a 6 week risk, expecting LeVoir to be 100% after returning from injuries.

I thought he and Britt were capable of not beating out Kaczur which is why they're gone. Vollmer's as big and much more agile IMO.

If they bring back Britt that is fine. I just think it's very tenuous when there is only 1 back up at a position...and that player is a rookie. The team played with only 7 OL at the end of 03 and again for a LOT of the season in 04, but they were vets...BUT since they have not done that. I know it's only for a few weeks...6-7...basically till after London, but it's risky. If they are comfortable with it, obviously..that is fine. Also wondering if Ohrnberger has played any tackle?? I think he played some in college...and it was Felger or another today that claimed that was a possibilty...I tended to think too small.

I can not see Orhsburger playing OT because he is small and does not have the feet.

Yes, of course we might end up playing with 7, but starting with 7 or starting with 3 OT's is another matter.

If Simmons is healthy and we bring back Britt, we will have our insurance policies. We can then see if Wendell or Connolly make it to the Practice Squad as I expect they will. If they are good enough, they should be paid full roster salary as Yates was in the past.

For me, these two changes would be a significant improvement over the initial roster with little downside. Since we had 9 OL's on the initial roster, no other units are even affected.

And just BTW, I think that Britt is a better choice than O'Callaghan since he is a better LT.

If they bring back Britt that is fine. I just think it's very tenuous when there is only 1 back up at a position...and that player is a rookie. The team played with only 7 OL at the end of 03 and again for a LOT of the season in 04, but they were vets...BUT since they have not done that. I know it's only for a few weeks...6-7...basically till after London, but it's risky. If they are comfortable with it, obviously..that is fine. Also wondering if Ohrnberger has played any tackle?? I think he played some in college...and it was Felger or another today that claimed that was a possibilty...I tended to think too small.

Last edited:
In what world is Stephen Neal's position in ANY WAY in danger? It's not. Why the Hell are we talking about Stephen Neal? Obviously there's an injury history there, but he's a very, very, VERY good OG. Simmons we'll see about.

Given Neal's age and injury history, I think we always need a backup that is ready to step in immediately. With Hochstien, I think there was a drop off.
And since Orhnsburger has been playing mostly at center, BB must have felt he needed a better option in case Neal went down.

Times like this I wish BB would have drafted TJ Lange to play OG for us.

Last edited:
Given Neal's age and injury history, I think we always need a backup that is ready to step in immediately. With Hochstien, I think there was a drop off.
And since Orhnsburger has been playing mostly at center, BB must have felt he needed a better option in case Neal went down.

Times like this I wish BB would have drafted TJ Lange to play OG for us.

Your not the only one that wanted TJ Lang. He would have been a nice pickup, and went about 10 picks before Ohrnberger.

We had two chances in the third to draft a guard. Belichick chose to trade Hobbs to get the player he wanted.

Your not the only one that wanted TJ Lang. He would have been a nice pickup, and went about 10 picks before Ohrnberger.

I think BB views Levoir as the 4th OT.

I think Simmons is weak and this move makes no sense. I do not think Simmons is even an upgrade over Connelly.

I agree. I'd rather have seen Bill sign somebody younger with some upside like '08 5th-rounder Roy Scheuning, who was cut by St Louis; or younger with some experience like '05 draft alum (Mankins, Kaczur, Britt) Evan Mathis. Simmons is older, fatter, lazier and has now lost whatever explosiveness he once had.

Edit: Mathis is still w/ the bungles. Oops.

Last edited:
NFLN is reporting that the deal with Simmons is for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe