PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats granted 4 compensatory picks - three 7ths and one 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Possibly a total of 12 picks for this year

So I'm speculating that the Pats' draft picks will look something like this once these compensatory picks are officially announced:

1st round #22
2.12, #44 overall (from Jacksonville)
2.15, #47 overall (from Tennessee)
2.21, #53 overall
4.21, #119 overall
6.21, #186 overall
6.38, #203 overall (compensatory for Jabar Gaffney)
7.22, #226 overall
7.24, #228 overall (from Philadelphia)
7.42, #246 overall (compensatory for Heath Evans)
7.43, #247 overall (compensatory for Lonnie Paxton)
7.45, #249 overall (compensatory for LaMont Jordan)

Obviously, the Patriots cannot sign all of them. Would it be better if they trade 4-7th rounders, for a 2011 late 5th-rounder?

Obviously, the Patriots cannot sign all of them. Would it be better if they trade 4-7th rounders, for a 2011 late 5th-rounder?

They signed that many last year. What's different?

Compensatory picks cannot be traded.

Perhaps it's better to not put all your eggs in one basket. You know many of those late picks will contribute little or nothing, but hopefully you hit on one or two of them.

Compensatory picks cannot be traded.

Perhaps it's better to not put all your eggs in one basket. You know many of those late picks will contribute little or nothing, but hopefully you hit on one or two of them.
Exactly. If one of the seventh rounders turns into David Givens, the others won't matter.

...a few will end up stocking our Practice Squad.

Alternatively, those picks could be used to draft guys destined for injured reserve. Players who normally would have been drafted higher and have a lot of upside potential, but are available at the end of the draft because they will probably miss most or all of the upcoming season. I'm not sure how many of these types are available, but if there are, we can be patient. Didn't the Pats try this with Antoine Womack a few years ago?

I believe they passed on a pick before to save money. I could see that happening (check me on that, I think it's true).

...a few will end up stocking our Practice Squad.

Alternatively, those picks could be used to draft guys destined for injured reserve. Players who normally would have been drafted higher and have a lot of upside potential, but are available at the end of the draft because they will probably miss most or all of the upcoming season. I'm not sure how many of these types are available, but if there are, we can be patient. Didn't the Pats try this with Antoine Womack a few years ago?

I believe that's how it went.

Obviously, it might as well have been Bobby Womack.:D

I hope we grab a punter and 3 OG with those picks.

I believe they passed on a pick before to save money. I could see that happening (check me on that, I think it's true).
If a team is looking to save money by skipping their selection it would make sense to do it early in the first round. For example if Detroit knew the player they really wanted would be available one or two picks later, they could skip their turn and let Tampa Bay make their selection. There could be a substantial amount of savings between what it costs to pay a #2 draftee and the guy taken a few slots later.

But I don't see how skipping on a 7th round pick would save a team anything. Those guys are only going to make rookie minimums or not much more, so there's no substantial monetary incentive. Besides, if they skip one of those picks then it's just one more undrafted free agent to be signed to take his place - i.e., no cost savings at all.

Where do you get that they can't sign them all?

Now, it's a different story if you were to say they won't all make the team. However, they had 10 of 12 make the team last year and the other 2 made enough of an impression to get signed to the Practice Squad.

Also, Comp picks can't be traded.

Not under Belichick they haven't. Other teams have passed on picks (Minnesota), but not the Pats.

Not under Belichick they haven't. Other teams have passed on picks (Minnesota), but not the Pats.
In '02 we passed on a 7th rounder a few times before eventually taking Givens. It wasn't to save money, but still.

Last edited:
1 - 22
2 - 44
2 - 47
2 - 53
4 - 119
6 - 190
6 - 205 (comp)
7 - 229
7 - 231
7 - 247 (comp)
7 - 248 (comp)
7 - 250 (comp)

1 - 22
2 - 44
2 - 47
2 - 53
4 - 119
6 - 190
6 - 205 (comp)
7 - 229
7 - 231
7 - 247 (comp)
7 - 248 (comp)
7 - 250 (comp)

We lost our 3 and 5 for Burgess, but I wonder if we could package 119/231 to get back into the 3rd round. Or 229 and a pick from next year to pick a 5th. I forgot where that value table is- to determine the numerical value of combining picks to move up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes