PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Branch to New England for 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old patriots are back!!!

Time to hang up the pictures again?

Hopefully, Branch will sit for a new portrait.

9781403450784.jpg

First off, I'm not a fan of this trade. You over spent for Branch.

At the least, Branch is worth a sixth round pick. At the most, a fifth round pick. If Seattle is asking for more than a fifth, then New England needs to decline.

In my opinion, I don't believe Branch is worth more than a sixth or fifth round pick when you consider that Seattle should release him anyways. They've already released TJ Houshmandzadeh, and have talented wide receivers Deon Butler and Golden Tate and tight end John Carlson. And Branch is still an injury concern and he's an older player. Unless Branch is acquired to assume the other starting wide receiver position on New England. You buy low... Is Branch a better player right now than Tate? Because Tate at least gives you a deep threat option.

Personally, I would rather talk to either Denver or Chicago about acquiring one of their wide receivers. Maybe, Jabar Gaffney or Devin Aromashodu.
Why would Denver or Chicago make that deal? That would be foolish on their part to part way with either of them.

Is Branch better than Tate? Can we honestly answer that question? Is Tate better than Branch? No.

The Seahawks held the Patriots up with this deal. A fourth round choice was too much to give up for the 2010 version of Deion Branch. The only way this makes sense is if the Pat's don't have to take the majority of his contract.

Exactly what role is Branch going to fill for the Patriots?
Who cares if we pay the contract. Its an uncapped year. Quit being cheap. people complain when we dont spend money then when we do its "wtf not that much"

Its an uncapped year so who cares.

What role? How about quality WR depth.

Thats a great for flexibility and play calling

Yikes... Moss was a "rebound" until Brady hooks up with Branch again?

On the positive side, my official Patriots football helmet signed by Deion Branch after the last Super Bowl victory (tied for the most receptions in the Super Bowl with Wes Welker, also #83) that I got from NFL Auctions just regained some value. :)

I own a Branch autographed helmet as well, I also have a Vrabel, Harrison, Watson, Samuel helmet, eh 1 out 5 still on the Pats is better than nothing.
Welcome back Deon!

Am I missing something? Not to be too pessimistic, but what's with all the excitement? All I have ever seen from Branch since he left was an oft-injured, marginal player. I know he played well when he was here, but will that be how it plays out the second time around?

Excitement? I'd say the reaction is about 50-50 round these parts.

I'm happy to have him back. Should be a lot better with Brady slinging him the rock.

The price was worth it if (1). he stays healthy and (2). he plays at least two years at a high level and drinks the kool-aid.

He hasn't been healthy for two years and hasn't played at a high level ever

Oh beside one game!

But it's a 4th rounder!!!!!! Just think of all the mock players I could mock draft with that before the Patriots trade it for a 2012 3rd!!!!!!!

Am I missing something? Not to be too pessimistic, but what's with all the excitement? All I have ever seen from Branch since he left was an oft-injured, marginal player. I know he played well when he was here, but will that be how it plays out the second time around?

Well, we don't know obviously! But shouldn't we wait and see?

I was hoping for someone like a Lee Evans too, but this is OK. I don;t need the personnel moves to light me on fire with excitement anywhere but on the field. I will wait and see how it plays out.

Biggest question mark for this guy right now ...as it has been much of his career...is can he stay on the field...he was injured a fair amount here and in Seattle. There is no secret that both his knees are in bad shape....I guess BB has a master plan for Deion....hard to forget the horse sh/t he did before leaving last time.

Love Branch, but a 4th rounder seems a little steep. Shows how desperate the Pats were for another veteran WR who knows the system and can make an immediate impact

Who cares?.......they've got draft choices up the ying-yang.He's got TB throwing to him....he knows the system and most importantly,he's NOT Vincent Jackson:rocker:

He's been on the seahawks!!! They are the worst franchise.

He's the perfect player for this dump off offense they are going to use.

How can you guys not be happy. This whole board was ripping Bill for not getting a reciever and holding on to draft picks, now they do and everybody is *****ing.

He's playing to win this season and I love it!

Welcome back D.Branch!!!

Just stay healhty and you'll get back into it in no time:rocker:

Should of never left but thats a diffrent topic, gotta feed your kids right? lol don't take millions to feed anyone.:p

Now we are getting back to the Pat's of old, I like this move BB keep up the good work hoodie.

Im heard a lot of the same things about this guy...Not saying his production will be equal but it was a 4th round pick. We got a 4th for Maroney IIRC.
a606bc862fb051fd32b261bccbafa573-getty-98621671ab012_new_england_p.jpg

Last edited:
doesn't matter what the Pats have in picks...Is Branch worth a 4th rounder?..I say no

I'd have to disagree.
A guy who pretty much knows the system, who works well with Brady, who has plwnty of experience, 4 weeks into the season, is weel worth a 4th.
Teams throw 4th's around all the time, no big deal. It won't make or break our draft.

not sure why people are so excited about this...he isnt the same player anymore .hopefully its a football move not a nostalgic move..

I hate the guy, but you have to admit he fits what we want to do and has a comfort level with Tom so, except for the fact he's a devious weasel, he should help us more than anyone else we could pick up if he's healthy.

Nobody's giving away receivers in their prime, I checked the list of available vets.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, he still has something left in the tank. This would be a great deal if we didn't have to give up a 4th. It seems a little steep, but we need receiver help and there's nobody better suited to help out than Deion.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed in what Branch will be. He is not going to make a huge impact, he will make an impact, but not a huge one. He is getting up their in age and has been battling injuries his entire career. He isnt Moss' replacement, he cant do the things Moss does. What he is, is a veteran WR that knows the Pats system and will probably be the #2/3 WR on the team. He was one of Brady's favorate targets back when he was on the team, so I am sure Brady is happy. I think the team is getting back to the SB days with 4 solid WRs and no super stars, back to when Brady spreads the ball around to WRs/TEs/RBs. It will be interesting to see how it all works out because unlike the SB years, the team doesnt have an experienced proven defense to win games for them

Branch for Maroney! I think so!

From what I've seen, he still has something left in the tank. This would be a great deal if we didn't have to give up a 4th. It seems a little steep, but we need receiver help and there's nobody better suited to help out than Deion.

And he can help right away, He knows the system and knows Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News