PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a question of being happy v. unhappy. It's a question of maximizing your market value.

Furthermore, people have a rosy picture of an athlete's life based on the money, and don't focus on the work they put in. I may not make as much as Tommy does, but he works a hell of a lot harder than I do. He works 14, 15 hour days, takes a physical pounding, and essentially crams all week for a mental exam at the end of the week. Go into an NFL lockerroom after a game. If you want to see some guys that take a beating, and keep on going, take a look around. They make a lot of money, sure. But they also have a very short shelf life, and their career is in danger every play of every game, every play in practice, and in the weight room. Is football fun? Yes. But there is a lot of hard work, and abuse taken in order to play the game. They would be silly not to maximize the amount of money that they make. Perhaps it's because I've seen it from both sides, but I laugh sometimes at how bitter and hostile fans get over player negotiations. It really is just business.

Sure, this is all true and fine and dandy, but don't expect people to feel sorry for athletes. I think you're taking it too far. My father was working full-time, going to grad school and help raising - at the time - two children all at once. He wasn't getting paid 7.8 million a year and nobody felt sorry for him.

It's called being a responsible adult, and the vast majority of America has to do it on a daily basis from the moment they turn 21 until they hit about roughly 65. Boo-F-ing Hoo for everybody, professional athletes included.

The reason Asante has pissed people off is because he hasn't been professional about. He's run his mouth and said stupid things. He's going to come back and play, and play well, and turn into a model Patriot again. We've seen it with Ty Law, we would've seen it with Deion Branch - we as a fan base are very quick to forgive people saying and acting stupidly re: contract stuff.

Last edited:
It's called being a responsible adult, and the vast majority of America has to do it on a daily basis from the moment they turn 21 until they hit about roughly 65. Boo-F-ing Hoo for everybody, professional athletes included.

Not me, I am pretty certain I am going to win the lottery.

I have a tattoo on my arm that says 'Win Lotto'

Last edited:
Sure, this is all true and fine and dandy, but don't expect people to feel sorry for athletes. I think you're taking it too far. My father was working full-time, going to grad school and help raising - at the time - two children all at once. He wasn't getting paid 7.8 million a year and nobody felt sorry for him.

I never said to feel sorry for Asante. I just said that people need to understand the situation and stop blindly hating someone for making a smart decision.

Sure, it's difficult for us to imagine making that kind of money. But it's also tough for me to imagine being at work at 6, 7 am, and working through the night. It's tough to imagine getting physically destroyed on Sunday, and coming back on Tuesday or Wednesday and engaging in contact again. There are different sacrifices they make. It isn't all glitz and glamour. That is all I am saying.

How is this any different than someone working doing physical labor rolling their eyes at people who sit behind a computer in the office and typically get paid more? We work and have challenges in our job duties, they are just different. That is all. Don't feel sorry for Asante. But don't pretend to think that he has it easy and is just being greedy, and is somehow slighting the Patriots. If Asante shreds his knee this year, you think the team will hold firm on the offer that was on the table last spring? Hell no.

Funny thing I noticed about the Samuel issue --

As a rule, it seems like Pats fans are happy with Ty Warren for giving the team a "hometown discount" on the contract extension and upset with Samuel for being "greedy" for not happily reporting to camp for the $7 million one year deal.

Of course, Ty Warren's rookie deal was worth $20 million over 6 years.
Samuel's? $2 mil over five.

Because Warren was a 1st round pick, he was in a much easier situation to leave some money on the table, because he already had a big payday. Players taken in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds spend their rookie deals working for what Warren got right out of college.

In terms of running the franchise, BB + SP have to be looking forward, of course. We can't and don't expect the franchise to even try to make up for the inequalities of the rookie salary structures when resigning players. But at the same time, we have to remember that guys like Samuel can't and shouldn't be expected to see it that way.

I took a brutal hit on the option from Dhani Jones. Laid me out. Concussion.

I still feel that.

Kid's game my ass.

Hah! Try this. You've never been hit straight on by all 170 LBS of Aqua4Ever who has challenged Patsfans to a football game against a Miami team he isn't even on.

And that's exactly why this should be viewed as the player and team doing what is necessary from their relative perspectives. Given what's transpired with Samuel having a career year in his last rookie contract year, I'm happy to have him do what's necessary. However, he has little choice but to attempt a repeat at the level of play he exhibited last season as per the CBA and the franchise tag rule.

As stated, I'll withhold my jubilation until he's in pads and practicing after signing for this season. Until then, go Hobbs, Gay, Meriweather, James, Jackson, Wesley, and Richardson.

I still have a hard time with A$ante. He said it was all about respect, yet he blew off a teammate’s funeral. That's just low IMO. He left a fair deal on the table (IMO) with 13mil in guarantees. One good great season doesn't make a great player! He was strictly looking for the mega deal, he's all about the money.

That being said, I don't mind having the guy in uniform for us. He makes the team better. If he can put together a second great season, then I believe he is more deserving of the mega deal he is looking for. I dout though it will be with the Pats.

But don't pretend to think that he has it easy and is just being greedy, and is somehow slighting the Patriots. If Asante shreds his knee this year, you think the team will hold firm on the offer that was on the table last spring? Hell no.

It's a fair point and I think complaining about what athletes make is stupid. They make what they make for a reason. Supply and demand. It's completely proportionate to the amount of people they entertain and the duration of their careers. If millions of people tuned in to watch teachers everyday, then sure, they'd probably be making millions, too. But until that day, I agree that it's silly to think atheletes are overpaid or greedy or anything. They make what the market says they make.

Again, Asante would not have irked people as much as he did if he had just said the right things as the process went along. And as I said, within the next few weeks, everybody will get over it, and Asante will be a fan favorite again. It's all part of the process.

Last edited:
What are you talking about??

Let's go over this again. Supply and demand. A rare and premium skill. Market value. Feeling slighted in relation to your peers.

Add to that the fact that these guys are generally 1.) egotistical; and 2.) superficial thinkers, and it becomes clear how easily and how much these guys are affected by their agents and their peers.

Please, a lot of these guys come from poor, difficult backgrounds, don't begrudge them their chance to simply bargain for the fair market value of their services.

LMAO, fair market value??? Fair market value is what he left on the table! Fair market value is what the bears resigned their corners for and what A$ante left as a similar deal on the table. He was strictly looking for a MEGA deal that was WELL over market value.PLEASE!:bricks:

Moving back on topic, I have never had a problem withthe Samuel situation. I've always seen it as the business side. The only problem I have is when they shoot off their mouths ashe did once or twice. But, he has now kept it shut for quite a while now.

Now, if he was not in the fold by the time the season started then I would have a problem with it and not looked at it as business anymore.

Eggs-actly, Batman.

Most people do not begrudge football players the money they earn, or seek to earn.

What angers some people, at least me, is when jocks and/or their agents throw around words such as " disrespect", "insulting", and, who could forget, "feed my family".

Please, keep it behind closed doors, and stay humble. It's funny how people seem to admire that in a person.

LMAO, fair market value??? Fair market value is what he left on the table! Fair market value is what the bears resigned their corners for and what A$ante left as a similar deal on the table. He was strictly looking for a MEGA deal that was WELL over market value.PLEASE!:bricks:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but don't be an idiot.

1) You don't know the exact figures that were being discussed between the Patriots and Samuel. You don't know what has offered by the Patriots or what Samuel was seeking.
2) Vasher and Tillman were extended before their contracts expired. The Patriots could have had Samuel for less than Tillman and Vasher had they extended him before the 06 season.

I love the cap talk as much as anyone but can't we just be happy that if he does report next week our thoughts on the CB position went from a delusional "Randall Gay is a quality starter who can stay healthy" to a more sane perspective "Now we have some adequate depth and 2 quality starters"

I think some where in this thread it was said "Welcome back Asante, you make the Patriots a stronger team" lets try not to lose track of what is important in our battles over how billionaires over pay millionaires.

Actually fair market value would only be determined if Asante was free to go into the open market and choose the highest bidder. Nate Clements just got $22M in guarenteed money on a $80M contract. Since I consider Asante better then I would think fair market is at least that amount. $8M vs $80M and yet you think the $8M is fair. The salary cap went up in the offseason so you can't use old deals under a lower cap to compare contracts.

I think Asante could have gotten the mega deal he was looking for on the open market given that he led the league in INTs last year, is 26, and steps up in playoff games. If he could get it on the open market then its not above market value. The open market determines market value based on what teams will offer.

Last edited:
Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

Sorry, but he is NOT under contract and is NOT getting paid. What he is doing is perfectly legal, whether or not you like it.
yes it is perfectly legal..but please tell me this.
He will be getting paid as a top corner in teh league..top 5. Week 1 he will get a salary for that week being PAID as a top corner. But considering he is NOT in camp, he will not be ready...and whether he is ready as a player, his lack of time with the team will hamper his being ready on week 1. What are your thoughts on this?? Getting paid top dollar and yet not ready?? Just the way it is? he has every right to to that? It's legal OK? Part of it all?? Or do you find something unprofessional about that? That since he is getting paid top dollar, he should be ready; part of what is expected?? Do you see a character issue there or what's legal is fine, no matter what? He's there in camp and that's all that he will do. I wonder what people truly believe is OK and fair? If he doesn't show in time to get ready with the team is OK because
he just cares about getting there for week one to gey paid, what does that show?
And this is all with a backdrop of Franchise Tag..as if THAT somehow is making him play for peanuts...like some kind of indentured servent..and NOT the top dollar of that position.

He will be getting paid as a top corner in teh league..top 5. Week 1 he will get a salary for that week being PAID as a top corner. But considering he is NOT in camp, he will not be ready...and whether he is ready as a player, his lack of time with the team will hamper his being ready on week 1. What are your thoughts on this?? Getting paid top dollar and yet not ready?? Just the way it is? he has every right to to that? It's legal OK? Part of it all?? Or do you find something unprofessional about that? That since he is getting paid top dollar, he should be ready; part of what is expected?? Do you see a character issue there or what's legal is fine, no matter what? He's there in camp and that's all that he will do. I wonder what people truly believe is OK and fair? If he doesn't show in time to get ready with the team is OK because
he just cares about getting there for week one to gey paid, what does that show?
And this is all with a backdrop of Franchise Tag..as if THAT somehow is making him play for peanuts...like some kind of indentured servent..and NOT the top dollar of that position.

It is complete speculation on your part that he won't be ready for week 1. How about we wait and see how he does in week 1 before we make any judgements on how unprepared he is. If he has an INT in week 1 will stop with this nonsense?

He will be paid as is required by the CBA, period. Once, the patriots and the team did not come to terms, each party is simply making business decisions. Asante is coming to camp and fuillfilling his obligations. He is not the one who decided to pay him $7.8M to show up when he is showing up. The patriots and the CBA did that. The patriots well understood the conditions when they put the franchise tag on Samuel.

You're misunderstanding the economics.

FMV means the most he could get on the OPEN market. Vasher never got on the open market b/c the bears resigned him before his contract was up. Therefore, that is a meaningless comparison.

Clements is the better comparison. He got $22m guaranteed. And I think most GM's would say Samuel is better and has more upside at this point.

He is not the one who decided to pay him $7.8M to show up when he is showing up. The patriots and the CBA did that.
Huh?? Who decided what??
His goal is to fulfil his obligations under the CBA, which he can do in a number of ways. He's under no obligation to go "above and beyond", since in his mind the team didn't go "above and beyond" for him.

Samuel's playing for the franchise tag, which, IMO, is about what he's worth. He flashed huge potential last year, so what this represents is a moderate risk for both sides, rather than a loading of risk on one side or another.

IF Samuel is what he believes he is, his value is north of $10M/year, with a lot of that guaranteed. Like it or not, that's the going rate for elite corners. I do not believe that he is one, and the argument that he is basically rests on his number of interceptions in one season.

BUT - I don't deny, nor should anybody deny, that he is a GOOD corner.

If Samuel is just a good corner, the franchise tag is a little high for what the Pats will pay a competent performer, but not a standout.

The "top 5" number that the franchise figure derives from is almost always a trailing indicator. That is, many very good athletes are under contracts made years ago, yet they still are in the top 5. Were each and every top 5 player to get a new deal every season, that number would be much higher.

So, he is being paid like a "top 5" corner, but understand that many top 5 guys cut their deals in previous years. He is being paid like a very good, but not elite, corner.

Yes, we can slap him with the tag again. It is just as legal as holding out (or holding out again.)

But this year, Mr. Samuel had better play a season that shows he is what he says it is, or it becomes moot. If he plays just "average":

- The Pats allow him to test the waters
- The offers he gets aren't stupendous
- The Pats have the option of paying fairly (but not exorbitantly) high numbers, or letting him walk.

If he plays up to his self-perceived potential, the Pats can do the second tag year. This would probably cause another holdout situation. Back to square one.

I personally don't believe, if Samuel excels, that the Pats will spend the cash to lock him up on the type of terms he feels are fair and reasonable. I do believe that someone else will. The Pats obviously have reserved their re-franchise rights.

Welcome back, Asante. A pro-bowl year is your ticket to the big(ger) money... unless you get tagged again, of course. My thought is that the team still has some negotiating power -- you could have locked up a long-term deal on the order of "not bad at all." But if you need to maximize the cash, hey, I can't say you'll likely do it here. It might be yet another year.

Still, your chances of doing it elsewhere are greatly enhanced if you do what comes natural and what it is all about, and that's playing your best game.

So the season's here. Your goals are in line with the team's. Get the money out of your head, and shut down Coles. (You were working out, right?)

PFnV

Clements is the better comparison. He got $22m guaranteed. And I think most GM's would say Samuel is better and has more upside at this point.

Huh? Clements is the better comparison but please list where any GM's would openly compare the 2 and which CB had more upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST