PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the Pats put the tag on Samuel, they made the Vashers of the world irrelevant to getting a deal done with him.

He was now able to count on 1 year 7.8 million guarenteed. You offer him the Vasher deal, you have offerred him a 4 year extension for 20m with 5.2m guarenteed in it. No way he is going to take that.

The Asante Samuel situation has likely played out exactly how the Pats expected it would when they tagged him. They have not tired to trade him. They have not offerred him a deal that was likely to be accepted by a guy who has been tagged. They tagged him to keep him for this year and if reports are right and he shows this week then they will have gotten exactly what they wanted.

Last edited:
Once the Pats put the tag on Samuel, they made the Vashers of the world irrelevant to getting a deal done with him.

He was now able to count on 1 year 7.8 million guarenteed. You offer him the Vasher deal, you have offerred him a 4 year extension for 20m with 5.2m guarenteed in it. No way he is going to take that.

The Asante Samuel situation has likely played out exactly how the Pats expected it would when they tagged him. They have not tired to trade him. They have not offerred him a deal that was likely to be accepted by a guy who has been tagged. They tagged him to keep him for this year and if reports are right and he shows this week then they will have gotten exactly what they wanted.

And to add to that they also get him for one more year to see if last year wasn't just a fluke. Maybe if he puts up another great year they will offer him a multi-year contract.

They tagged him to keep him for this year and if reports are right and he shows this week then they will have gotten exactly what they wanted.
I don't think so...if he had reported a week ago absolutely..but reporting now?? No..he won't be ready for Week One.

I don't think so...if he had reported a week ago absolutely..but reporting now?? No..he won't be ready for Week One.

Is it safe to assume you also have marked Richard Seymour as no chance of being ready for week 1?

Is it safe to assume you also have marked Richard Seymour as no chance of being ready for week 1?
Comparing an injury a player has to a player NOT in camp NOT in anyway doing anything with the team? a fine comparison that makes no sense..

Last edited:
Comparing an injury a player has to a player NOT in camp NOT in anyway doing anything with the team? a fine comparison that makes no sense..

So you are saying your belief is not based on Samuel missing camp and not being physically ready to play football in week 1.

You are Samuel will not be mentally ready to play in the Pats defense?

There is very serious doubt he will be mentally unprepared - Dean Pees suggested in his presser a week or so back that corner was the easiest position to play in the Patriots system from a mental standpoint. There are no calls they have to make, etc. It IS however, the hardest physically and I will be very surprised if Asante is not in superb shape. By all accounts he has been keeping himself in tip top shape - he is playing for another contract, and his play on the field is the only part he can control that will factor in to his possible contract. Unless, Asante is really stupid, don't expect him to miss significant time if at all.

So you are saying your belief is not based on Samuel missing camp and not being physically ready to play football in week 1.

It's based on his NOT being in camp..which is what many people believe.

There is very serious doubt he will be mentally unprepared - Dean Pees suggested in his presser a week or so back that corner was the easiest position to play in the Patriots system from a mental standpoint. There are no calls they have to make, etc. It IS however, the hardest physically and I will be very surprised if Asante is not in superb shape. By all accounts he has been keeping himself in tip top shape - he is playing for another contract, and his play on the field is the only part he can control that will factor in to his possible contract. Unless, Asante is really stupid, don't expect him to miss significant time if at all.
Again from a menatl standpoint that MAY be true..but it is not like he is on the field like in baseball. There are other players on the field and that chemistry will not be there for a few games. He can be as mentaly prepared, but there is more to cornerback than that and the physical nature of it.
Felger believes that if he was truly going for that mega-deal he would have been in camp on time and preparing for that big year. He also thinks he is a month behind. I think he should have been in a week ago at least, to get himself ready and do NOT think he will be ready in game one. Tomase seems to think Samuel thinks he doesn't need all this time and will be OK, but both Felger and Tomase feel that his being behind could bring on an injury as he pushes to get ready in short time span. I think that is very possible as well.
I also think Samuel is gambling big time with that mega-deal, but he has only himself to blame if his late show impedes his progress and he ends up with a less than banner year.

LMAO, fair market value??? Fair market value is what he left on the table! Fair market value is what the bears resigned their corners for and what A$ante left as a similar deal on the table. He was strictly looking for a MEGA deal that was WELL over market value.PLEASE!:
If we define "fair market value" as what Asante could have gotten as a UFA, then his contract demands were not unreasonable. But he wasn't a UFA, so his value on the open market is irrelevant.

However, if we want to try and figure out Samuel's value on the open market, we can't really look at the Bears' contract signings because the Bears' players weren't UFA's.

There was one high profile UFA CB this past year that sticks out: Nate Clements. If we wanted to guage Samuel's value as a UFA, that would be a good starting point, give or take. But Samuel wasn't a UFA, so IMHO it's pretty irrelevant.

Again from a menatl standpoint that MAY be true..but it is not like he is on the field like in baseball. There are other players on the field and that chemistry will not be there for a few games. He can be as mentaly prepared, but there is more to cornerback than that and the physical nature of it.
Felger believes that if he was truly going for that mega-deal he would have been in camp on time and preparing for that big year. He also thinks he is a month behind. I think he should have been in a week ago at least, to get himself ready and do NOT think he will be ready in game one. Tomase seems to think Samuel thinks he doesn't need all this time and will be OK, but both Felger and Tomase feel that his being behind could bring on an injury as he pushes to get ready in short time span. I think that is very possible as well.
I also think Samuel is gambling big time with that mega-deal, but he has only himself to blame if his late show impedes his progress and he ends up with a less than banner year.

We will see then.
As a personal note, Felger may be right, but he is a completely biased against the Patriots as well as a lifelong Packer fan. He rarely gives the Patriots kudos for anything and predicts the worst of all outcomes, so if in the rare event he is right he can take credit for it.

Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

yes it is perfectly legal..but please tell me this.
He will be getting paid as a top corner in teh league..top 5. Week 1 he will get a salary for that week being PAID as a top corner. But considering he is NOT in camp, he will not be ready...and whether he is ready as a player, his lack of time with the team will hamper his being ready on week 1. What are your thoughts on this?? Getting paid top dollar and yet not ready?? Just the way it is? he has every right to to that? It's legal OK? Part of it all?? Or do you find something unprofessional about that? That since he is getting paid top dollar, he should be ready; part of what is expected??
Well this brings us to the CBA and what's good for the goose is good for the gander. The CBA says the Pats have the option to franchise Samuel and that's what they did. So the same CBA says Samuel has until such-and-such a date to report and if he does, he gets paid the full franchise tender. It doesn't make any provisions for "not being ready".

Here's a shocker, as well: I believe if he does excel, it would be a class move for the organization to let him seek a new contract, rather than re-franchising him. I am not so sure they will, but by coming to camp rather than hold out 10 games, Samuel definitely puts himself in sight of that treatment.
There is no "class move" in doing something stupid or forfeiting your rights under the CBA to franchise Samuel again. As a fan, I thank the good Lord that Belichick does not think like you do.

After this season, the team will evaluate their options based on his performance. If they feel his performance is worth another year at $9.3 million, they will exercise their rights to franchise him again (assuming they cannot come to terms on a long term deal).

Last edited:
There is no "class move" in doing something stupid or forfeiting your rights under the CBA to franchise Samuel again. As a fan, I thank the good Lord that Belichick does not think like you do.

After this season, the team will evaluate their options based on his performance. If they feel his performance is worth another year at $9.3 million, they will exercise their rights to franchise him again.

Agreed - No way they let him off without compensation unless they really feel they may have damaged their reputation in the eyes of potential free agents by franchising him during consecutive seasons. I hope they can bang out a long-term deal before the franchise tag is exercised again. If he is tagged, I have a feeling it will play out in two ways - he holds out until week 10 in 2008 or is traded. Once he recieves his $7.79 million for this year, if he really feels financially secure enough to forgo the prorated portion of the tag next year, I would expect he would do so to protect his health, unless of course he is injured or has a down year this year.

Last edited:

Well this brings us to the CBA and what's good for the goose is good for the gander. The CBA says the Pats have the option to franchise Samuel and that's what they did. So the same CBA says Samuel has until such-and-such a date to report and if he does, he gets paid the full franchise tender. It doesn't make any provisions for "not being ready".
Everyone sidesteps the question...you state the obvious..where is teh professionalism in that?? Character issue?? The Samuel rumpswabs fail to address that at all..instead stating what can be done..NO S** Sherlock...everyone KNOWs that.

Last edited:

Everyone sidesteps the question...you state the obvious..where is teh professionalism in that?? Character issue?? The Samuel rumpswabs fail to address that at all..instead stating what can be done..NO S** Sherlock...everyone KNOWs that.
You're getting too emotional over something which is purely a business matter. I will say the same thing to you that I said to some other guy: I thank the good Lord that Belichick does not think and act as you do.

You remind me of the people that got all worked up in spring of 2004 over the comments Ty Law made (waving to DannyBoy). In that case, as in this one, the team acted with pure logic and reason.

Obviously the Patriots do not think character or professionalism is an issue with Samuel or they would not have offered him almost $8 million guaranteed to stay here for one year. I would have thought that was obvious, but apparently it isn't obvious to everyone.

Last edited:

You're getting too emotional over something which is purely a business matter. I will say the same thing to you that I said to some other guy: I thank the good Lord that Belichick does not think and act as you do.

You remind me of the people that got all worked up in spring of 2004 over the comments Ty Law made (waving to DannyBoy). In that case, as in this one, the team acted with pure logic and reason.

Obviously the Patriots do not think character or professionalism is an issue with Samuel or they would not have offered him almost $8 million guaranteed to stay here for one year. I would have thought that was obvious, but apparently it isn't obvious to everyone.
Maybe that is why we are teh fans and he is the coach. Unfortunately, as I have said before..the Samuel rumpswabs sidestep that question..and with good reason. It's a bit sticky one..not easy to answer.
Of couse WE ALL know what the Patriot's think on this more or less..they knew what was possible when they put teh tag on him of course. BUT THAT wasn't the question. Good answer..but to teh wrong question. Law though ACTED professional..was in camp on time..and did not hold out. I think THAT may be where there is a difference.

We will see then.
As a personal note, Felger may be right, but he is a completely biased against the Patriots as well as a lifelong Packer fan. He rarely gives the Patriots kudos for anything and predicts the worst of all outcomes, so if in the rare event he is right he can take credit for it.
I agree we will see...and I am well aware of teh Felger bias...I actually disagree with almost everything he says..but like some idiots, onece in a blue moon they make a good point and are right. This I think is one time THAT is the case. I think he understands the value of camp and he also gave a bit of history of holdouts and inhuries..which because of teh poor reception, I missed fully. But I think it's a gamble for AS..and more so than most think it is. And Felger basically made a point that with the AFC so close a one game loss might be vital.

Last edited:

Of couse WE ALL know what the Patriot's think on this more or less..they knew what was possible when they put teh tag on him of course. BUT THAT wasn't the question. Good answer..but to teh wrong question. Law though ACTED professional..was in camp on time..and did not hold out. I think THAT may be where there is a difference.
So calling Bill Belichick a liar and telling everyone in sight how much you want to leave the Patriots is what you consider "acting professionally"..? Interesting definition you've made up. I consider it far more professional to mostly keep your trap shut like Seymour or Samuel did than what Law did.

Law was in camp on time because it would have cost him tremendously in the form of a roster bonus if he wasn't. It's really that simple. Samuel did very much the same thing, only with less attitude. Both players showed up in time to prevent them from losing money.

So calling Bill Belichick a liar and telling everyone in sight how much you want to leave the Patriots is what you consider "acting professionally"..? Interesting definition you've made up. I consider it far more professional to mostly keep your trap shut like Seymour or Samuel did than what Law did.

Law was in camp on time because it would have cost him tremendously in the form of a roster bonus if he wasn't. It's really that simple. Samuel did very much the same thing, only with less attitude. Both players showed up in time to prevent them from losing money.
Did I ever say that??? Or are you reading other threads??? Oh...you just took something out of context..typical for ones with no points to make..(that make sense anyway..) The only definition is the one you have made in your mind.. and said it was mine...but again..same reason that ones like you do that who have no argument. Get glasses they may help as well. "Law though ACTED professional..was in camp on time..and did not hold out. "....Acted professionally AFTER the Ty Law Hunger tour..and was in camp..Oh you get it now?? he didn't dog out like Samuel and Branch. Oh...you said Samuel was in camp....is he now...Breaking news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference