PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching ESPN's Camp Confidential and they reported negotiations between Asante and the Pats are thawing... kind of misleading.

Asante back = good news.

thin at DB without him = I used to agree and I guess it's still hard to say, but from reports re: Gay and the frequent use of Meriweather at CB AND the development of Sanders at safety, I'd feel more okay than I thought I would if Samuel weren't coming back soon. Thing is, he is. So all the better.

I'm thrilled that Samuel will be back next week.

And worried that patsox23 isn't getting enough sleep after a tough day warring with the world about Pete Kendall.

I guess its about time for my rebuttal. First let me say that I am happy that Asante is reporting in a few days. It will give us great depth now in the secondary and eventually allow Merriweather to go back to safety where we will have a great, flexible and deep 4 man safety corps that could be the best in the league. That means you can do a lot of things on defense that we couldn't do, scheme wise, the last few years because of all the injuries back there.

That being said, I stand by what I originally wrote. You CAN'T know football and thing that Samuel can come back after this exhibition game and with 10 practices be at close to 100% readiness for the first 3 games. Especially since by this time, contact will be severely limited. You CAN'T know football if you don't understand that being in physical shape and football shape are two ENTIRELY different things.

Why do you think they go to TC anyway. Do you think its merely for tradition sake? :rolleyes: Tell me if practice isn't important, why are BB team's better at the end of season than at the begining. Football is a game of practice and repetitions. Samuel not only missed TC, he missed ALL of the mini camps, passing camps, meetings, etc. So much of the work that USED to be done in TC is now done in those OTAs in the "off season". That's whay TC now seems less intense with fewer 2 a days, and less hitting.

Being familiar with the terminology helps, but it doesn't replace all those reps. It doesn't help with your timing and getting used to game speed. So don't think that he'll be the elite CB for the first quarter of the season. Including the OTAs, he's already more than 5 weeks behind. It doesn't replace the time the team spent in meetings and film study.

My complaint with Samuel is, again, that he is being paid at the level of the top 3 CBs in the league. There are likely only 2 other CBs in the league getting more money to play this year. If he came back 6-10 days ago, I'd not be talking like this, but right now he is getting paid to be an elite CB and that is NOT GOING TO BE POSSIBLE for the first 3 or 4 games.

Now MGteich wrote a great post stating the opposite position. Let me address it directly.

That's not entirely true MG, its not like they sprung this "Franchise" tag on him over this off season. When he signed his original contract he knew being franchised was a possibility (a remote possibility 4 years ago, and one he would have been thrilled to have, at that time). So don't be so dramatic with your tale about the poor indentured servant who thought his time was up only to be told he had to go back to the plantation. :rolleyes:

You are right MG, he deserves to be rewarded and the Pats did. In fact this year he will be paid more than 18 time MORE than what he made last year. Now he gets is to now be PAID as one of the best CBs backs in the league. What a screw job the Pats put on Samuel. Throw me a towel, a tissue isn't going to do it. :rolleyes: ON this point, you get an A+ in spin, but a D in reality. Also don't forget that he was offered a LT deal that was more than realistic based on his 4 year history of production, which would have given him EVEN MORE upfront money than he's getting now. The Pats didn't just slap the franchise tag on him, and leave him hanging...as you imply

Maybe you are right here, MG. The fans shouldn't whine. However the TEAM should. Because they are the ones who will write the game checks knowing that they are getting a lot less than what they are paying for...at least for the first 3 or 4 games

BOTTOM LINE: Don't let my rant make you forget that this is GOOD news. As someone said earlier the circle is now complete. The offense will be slow in putting it together, but the defense, even with a sub par Samuel, should be one of the top 3 defenses in the league from the start, and one that will get stronger as injuries take their tolls on teams that are not as deep as we are...and Samuel gets his legs under him.

AND that's how I feel even after 10 pages of posts. ;)
Many good points...It is good news no doubt..but it would have been better news if he was already here and READY for Game One. My prediction is he will be in camp AFTER the last preseason game...NOT before.

im sure Asante still isnt happy. if he didnt want to sign the franchise before..i doubt he really wanted to now. he wanted a long term deal ..didnt happen so after a while he realized might as well just take the money.

my question is if he'll play hard. i know some players just play safe and prevent injuries while others half ass everything. i hope Asante plays hard and proves hes worth what he wants.

my question is if he'll play hard. i know some players just play safe and prevent injuries while others half ass everything. i hope Asante plays hard and proves hes worth what he wants.

It simply would not be in his best interests to "half-ass everything." He is looking for a huge payday and no team will give him Clements money for a doggy year. If Samuel performs poorly, or only average, he will decrease his market value.

Why should Asante be happy. The patriots got everything they wanted when they franchised him.

im sure Asante still isnt happy. if he didnt want to sign the franchise before..i doubt he really wanted to now. he wanted a long term deal ..didnt happen so after a while he realized might as well just take the money.

Why should Asante be happy. The patriots got everything they wanted when they franchised him.
Millions of dollats??? If he is NOT happy with that he's a greedy scumbag..it's that simple. Millions of dollars to play a kid's game..get real.

I know but this isn't like that Brown character who is taking every penny he saves from player contracts and is putting it in his own pocket. The money Asante doesn't get this year goes into Warren's pocket...comprenez vous? This strategy is practiced with total heartless logic. Think about Rodney. You want to get upset about the injustice of imbalanced power? They took away 700K of the most dedicated fiercest warrior who ever played this game. Don't talk to me about Asante man. It's called capitalism. I should know what it's like since they sent my job and my health benefits to India after 12 years of faithful service. Asante can kiss my *ss.
Capitalism is a two-way street. Asante doesn't have to be happy that "his" money is going to Warren, or anybody else. The team is free to use whatever legal methods are at their disposal, and so is he. My permission, and yours, he does not need.

No, you get real! What do top lawyers make or singers or race car drivers make. If you want a union scale for all players based on experience fine. If you want to split all the cap money evenly among the players, then fine. Until, then the owners and players will negotiate a CBA and then use all they can to get the most they can for themselves. Samuel played out his contract. For me, the scumbags are those who do not.

Millions of dollats??? If he is NOT happy with that he's a greedy scumbag..it's that simple. Millions of dollars to play a kid's game..get real.

Last edited:
Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

Why bother, so the patriots can franchise him again?

Isn't that a danger that any player faces when his contract runs out? It must really suck getting payed top dollar average at your position... I mean... it is only a lousy 7-8M per year.

OK. Sarcasm over. The team does not have a history of continually slapping the FT on a player year after year. In fact, I don't think it happens very much in the entire league. I think you are putting too much weight on that happening again.

It is more likely that we work a trade out with someone (yeah, that would mean him signing a new contract that the new teams agrees on in order for us to trade him), or signing him to a long term contract ourselves, or just letting him go.

I don't think he had much of a choice. Holding out until week 10 meant forfeiting about $5M and decreasing the amount a team will offer him next year.

I don't begrudge Asante skipping out on camps, practice, and preseason games when he is not obligated to be there until he signs the FT.

I am still pissed at him about demanding insane money and causing us to be in this situation. I don't like that he held out and whined about not being happy, but I think it was all to put leverage on the Pats to get a deal done.

I just don't understand why he didn't say he would come back week 1 once the deadline for a new deal had passed. What was gained by continuing the holdout threat between then and game 1? Was he hoping to put pressure on the team to give him a 1 year deal with consessions in it? more money? promise of no FT next year? I just understand what the point was of not SAYING he would end the holdout even if he didn't actually plan to participate until week 1. Maybe it was just payback.

I think he will be ready to start at least by game 2.

Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week (per Schefter)

Samuel will start whenever the staff feels he's the best man for the job. Not a second sooner.

exactly. It's really that simple. On paper we look l;ike an o.k. team...hope it translates on the field too...

Excitement is building...:singing:

Great news.

Asante will be ready. Players today don't really need training camp. It's more of a formality, and a way to evaluate talent. Asante didn't need to be evaluated, he's on the 53. Training camp was important back when players drank cases of beer in the offseason, and didn't work out. Today's player is constantly in shape.

Asante is reporting next week because that is when preparation begins for week 1. So, he'll be just as prepared as anyone else on the team for the NYJ. It's a defense he already knows, so putting in the work for the NYJ gameplan is all that is necessary for Asante to be ready.

Training camp is critical for rookies and new young additions to the squad.

Great news.

Asante will be ready. Players today don't really need training camp. It's more of a formality, and a way to evaluate talent. Asante didn't need to be evaluated, he's on the 53. Training camp was important back when players drank cases of beer in the offseason, and didn't work out. Today's player is constantly in shape.

Asante is reporting next week because that is when preparation begins for week 1. So, he'll be just as prepared as anyone else on the team for the NYJ. It's a defense he already knows, so putting in the work for the NYJ gameplan is all that is necessary for Asante to be ready.

No, you get real! What do top lawyers make or singers or race car drivers make. If you want a union scale for all players based on experience fine. If you want to split all the cap money evenly among the players, then fine. Until, then the owners and players will negotiate a CBA and then use all they can to get the most they can for themselves. Samuel played out his contract. For me, the scumbags are those who do not.
He's playing a kid's game..getting paid millions....and should be unhappy???Let him do a REAL day's work and see how HAPPY he will be playing football and living life in the top percent. Let him live that life and see how he'll change his tune.

Last edited:
Great news.

I couldn't disagree more about your thoughts on TC. Every year there are new players added to the team (e.g. Meriweather and James) and these new players have to work with the vets like Samuel in order to build some chemistry and confidence with each other. It is also a time to learn the new playbook. Yes, it mostly stays the same but there are new plays installed every year. Also, there is a HUGE difference between being in shape to play football and being in football shape to play the game. A players body must get used to the hitting again and Samuel is not getting his body ready for that because he is not in TC or the preseason games.

IF TC was such a waste of time then why do all teams continue to hold TC? For traditions sake? He has missed how many practices? Asante isn't going to be able to just prepare for the Jets and perform at the same level had he been in camp.

He's playing a kid's game..getting paid millions....and should be unhappy???Let him do a REAL day's work and see how HAPPY he will be playing football and living life in the top percent. Let him live that life and see how he'll change his tune.
He's not going to, nor does he have to. A surgeon isn't going to one day work as a janitor, for janitor's pay, to see what life can be like. They're going to make as much money as they can, which is very dependant on their profession. NFL cornerbacks don't make average person money, they make NFL player money, and that's the only benchmark Asante should be going by. By your logic, every player should take a 50% paycut and still be happy because it still beats the real world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back