PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this just conjecture and rumor that Assante will sighn or is there a specific time that he will.

We all know he will, but he hasn't yet, it could be 2 more weeks.

Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

Nope, it's about money. This is a business. He wanted to be paid. Actually, I still hope that the patriots have agreed not to franchise him next year in return for his coming back.

BTW, he doesn't have to give 110% to be starter on our team. Half-hearted is still better than Randall Gay.

We are in agreement that this is about money, but Asante is not thinking about only this year. He's thinking about a potential future contract as well. Having another great season solidifies his spot as a top tier corner in the league, appreciating his value if and when he becomes a free agent in 2008. He has no better option because if he sits out 2007 he risks being tagged again anyways - and if they let him walk after a 6 game season for Asante, which I doubt the Patriots would ever do without proper compensation, his value would be hurt because of his lost season and being labeled as a me first, TO personality. NO he has not hit the TO level yet.

Last edited:
1) He's not yet in camp and wearing pads and until then, I have zero interest in him.
2) Should he report, I'll root for him as I would for anyone else in a Patriot uniform.
3) Whether he's committed to the team beyond this season is irrelevant as long as he plays hard.
4) He will play hard, as this is his one shot at proving he deserves a healthy long-term deal.

He's saving face by showing up late for camp. I don't hold that against him,he's seen many others get paid. I do think that he has to prove he's more than a one year wonder and shouldn't have expected to be paid 80 mill. Branch on the other hand still had a year to go on his contract. Thats someone who I would hold a grudge against.

1) He's not yet in camp and wearing pads and until then, I have zero interest in him.
2) Should he report, I'll root for him as I would for anyone else in a Patriot uniform.
3) Whether he's committed to the team beyond this season is irrelevant as long as he plays hard.
4) He will play hard, as this is his one shot at proving he deserves a healthy long-term deal.

Good point!

As all others in their rookie contracts, Samuel thought that playing hard LAST year earned him a fine long-term contract from among the teams that he chose to negotiate with. He didn't sit out like Seymour and Branch. He played his butt off to get the best free agent contract possible. His reward from the patriots: a denial of free agency, a franchise tag and a take it or leave it contract offer. We're patriot fans. We have no issue with our team using every method they can within the CBA to get the best for the team.

HOWEVER, IMHO we shouldn't whine when a player uses what little leverage he has.

WELCOME BACK, ASANTE!!!!

Good point!

Last edited:
I am glad to hear he is coming back!!! Our starting defense is going to be awesome!!!!!

Imagine being an opposing QB, looking across the line of scrimmage and seeing....

Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin, Samuel, Hobbs, Wilson and Rodney!!!!!

HOWEVER, IMHO we shouldn't whine when a player uses what little leverage he has.

Huh? I never was in disagreement with Asante's holdout - I was just pointing out that Asante will play and play hard as he is once again playing for another contract.

As a personal aside, I don't believe the Patriots will franchise him again with Meriweather waiting in the wings, who Bill has had play corner throughtout the preseason thus far, a much cheaper option. The Patriots would also be hurting their reputation as a player friendly organization by franchising him again.

Last edited:
We talk alot about depth. Let's be real. On defense, it is our starting 11 that is absoltely awesome.

I am glad to hear he is coming back!!! Our starting defense is going to be awesome!!!!!

Imagine being an opposing QB, looking across the line of scrimmage and seeing....

Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin, Samuel, Hobbs, Wilson and Rodney!!!!!

Last edited:
We talk alot about depth. Let's be real. On defense, it is our starting 11 that is absoltely awesome.
It is but considering the "depth" includes Gay, Meriweather, Sanders, Seau, Wright, Green . . . that's pretty awesome too.

In fact I daresay all of them could start for us and we'd have a strong defense.

I don't understand it. If he is coming in next week, why on get in this week, or last week, so he can be at full speed for the season. He IS NOT going to be at full speed for the season opener. So to my way of thinking he is getting a $500,000 game check under false pretenses. In fact it will be unlikely that Samuel will be ready to step into the starting lineup until the 4th of 5th game.

Its unlikely to effect whether the Pats win or lose, but it dimishes Samuel in my eyes. I had no problem with his holdout, even if it went to 10 games. He is a FA and has that right. However by coming in now he takes the money, but without providing the services. He's a fraud in my eyes now. It will be hard to root for him in the same way again.

He has played in this system his entire career. I think he is familiar with how to cover one on one and with most of the AFC starting wide outs. Plus he did score more touchdowns last postseason than our running back of the future (even when you include the kick pass). BE HAPPY THAT HE IS COMING BACK.

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/
Posted by John Tomase at 9:35 pm

Alonzo Shavers, the agent for cornerback Asante Samuel, just got off the phone with colleague Karen Guregian and refused to confirm the NFL Network’s report that his client plans to rejoin the Patriots this week. However, he didn’t exactly deny it.

He initially labeled the report speculation, but when asked if Samuel would be back soon, equivocated.

“Well, the season is about to start,” Shavers said. “Of course we’re getting closer. But I couldn’t tell you one way or the other. It’s really up to him at this point when he decides to come in. There’s really no rush. What’s the rush?

“I’m sure he’ll definitely be around in the near future.I just don’t want to speculate because he hasn’t given me an inkling one way or another. I’m sure when he’s ready, he’ll tell me. He has not given me the green light, so I can’t confirm or deny anything.”

Asked if Samuel is ready to go, Shavers said yes.

“If he decides to come, he’s ready to go,” Shavers said. “I don’t know if he’s decided that he wants to come next week or what the case is going to be. But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.”

Last edited:
1) If this is true, great!
2) I agree with those who wish he would have come back a week or two earlier in order to be ready for the first couple of games, but this is a business and he did what he felt he had to do.
3) I hope that the Pats didn't make any concessions regarding next year's Franchise Tag. He treated it like a business. So should they.

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/
Posted by John Tomase at 9:35 pm

Alonzo Shavers, the agent for cornerback Asante Samuel, just got off the phone with colleague Karen Guregian and refused to confirm the NFL Network’s report that his client plans to rejoin the Patriots this week. However, he didn’t exactly deny it.

He initially labeled the report speculation, but when asked if Samuel would be back soon, equivocated.

“Well, the season is about to start,” Shavers said. “Of course we’re getting closer. But I couldn’t tell you one way or the other. It’s really up to him at this point when he decides to come in. There’s really no rush. What’s the rush?

“I’m sure he’ll definitely be around in the near future.I just don’t want to speculate because he hasn’t given me an inkling one way or another. I’m sure when he’s ready, he’ll tell me. He has not given me the green light, so I can’t confirm or deny anything.”

Asked if Samuel is ready to go, Shavers said yes.

“If he decides to come, he’s ready to go,” Shavers said. “I don’t know if he’s decided that he wants to come next week or what the case is going to be. But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.”

it sounds like his response to the rumor is 'maybe,' and maybe in my hoursehold means yes.

Last edited:
We have no issue with our team using every method they can within the CBA to get the best for the team.
And that's exactly why this should be viewed as the player and team doing what is necessary from their relative perspectives. Given what's transpired with Samuel having a career year in his last rookie contract year, I'm happy to have him do what's necessary. However, he has little choice but to attempt a repeat at the level of play he exhibited last season as per the CBA and the franchise tag rule.

As stated, I'll withhold my jubilation until he's in pads and practicing after signing for this season. Until then, go Hobbs, Gay, Meriweather, James, Jackson, Wesley, and Richardson.

Last edited:
I think that patriot fans celebrate our depth. I'm not sure others do. We think that most of these players could start for other playoff teams. Perhaps, perhaps not. I certainly don't think the consensus around the league is that these backups are "awesome".

Let's be really honest here. Who would we be happy with if they started for us? How many of us are really happy that Randall Gay is now our nickel back? I certainly am! Some of these players will be future starters, one is a future hall of famer, but if any were starting for us now, we'd be a bit worried and looking to upgrade.

OUR SECOND ELEVEN ON DEFENSE
DL: Wright, Smith, Green
LB: Woods, Seau, Alexander, Rogers
DB: Gay, Meriweather, Sanders, Wesley

THE REST
2 special teamers - Izzo and Andrews
1 raw developmental player - Kareem Brown

What a great 25, perhaps the best we've even had!!!
-------------

I know there could be a 26th on defense, or not. Most of us have us carrying a 6th wide receiver instead.

It is but considering the "depth" includes Gay, Meriweather, Sanders, Seau, Wright, Green . . . that's pretty awesome too.

In fact I daresay all of them could start for us and we'd have a strong defense.

Last edited:

I'm ***ante $amuel. It's July, and I've decided that I won't report until late August, but will show up at that point to collect my 7.9 million dollars. To teach the team a lesson, I will wait to show up until it's too late for me to be in top form when we play the Jets and Chargers. That'll show 'em. Make me mad, and I will try to make it more likely for the team to lose. I am a dirtbag.

I'm Asante Samuel. Like any hot FA I was hoping for a great big juicy long-term deal, but I got a franchise tag. So then I was at least hoping for an amended franchise contract that would free me from the tag for next season. I watched as Lance Briggs got exactly that by holding out in Chicago. So it seemed reasonable to wait as long as I could to see if I could get some kind of concession from New England. No dice. So I'll report toward the end of camp, knowing I tried my best, and play the season.

For this you call him dirtbag?? Both sides played by the letter of the law, neither side conceded nothing, and the whole thing played out exactly as many of us predicted. Nobody did anything wrong, as far as I can see.

Nice defense now. Mmm, nice.

How many of us are really happy that Randall Gay is now our nickel back? I certainly am!

knock on wood. Let's see if he survives tomorrow before saying that. and don't forget, injuries don't happen by chance. It's because of careless jinxing by the fans (like us) that players get hurt and end up on IR.

I think that patriot fans celebrate our depth. I'm not sure others do. We think that most of these players could start for other playoff teams. Perhaps, perhaps not. I certainly don't think the consensus around the league is that these backups are "awesome".

Let's be really honest here. Who would we be happy with if they started for us? How many of us are really happy that Randall Gay is now our nickel back? I certainly am! Some of these players will be future starters, one is a future hall of famer, but if any were starting for us now, we'd be a bit worried and looking to upgrade.

OUR SECOND ELEVEN ON DEFENSE
DL: Wright, Smith, Green
LB: Woods, Seau, Alexander, Rogers
DB: Gay, Meriweather, Sanders, Wesley
Well it's not reasonable to bench everyone.

Wright, Wilfork, Green
Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin
Hobbs, Meriweather, Sanders, Gay

That's not bad. It's better than what almost beat the Colts last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft