PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ***ante $amuel. It's July, and I've decided that I won't report until late August, but will show up at that point to collect my 7.9 million dollars. To teach the team a lesson, I will wait to show up until it's too late for me to be in top form when we play the Jets and Chargers. That'll show 'em. Make me mad, and I will try to make it more likely for the team to lose. I am a dirtbag.

I'm Asante Samuel. Like any hot FA I was hoping for a great big juicy long-term deal, but I got a franchise tag. So then I was at least hoping for an amended franchise contract that would free me from the tag for next season. I watched as Lance Briggs got exactly that by holding out in Chicago. So it seemed reasonable to wait as long as I could to see if I could get some kind of concession from New England. No dice. So I'll report toward the end of camp, knowing I tried my best, and play the season.

Kornheiser and Wilbon check in.

Wow! I hope you're right. You are saying that our defense is better than last year without Samuel, Harrison, Seymour, Wilson and Warren.

Well it's not reasonable to bench everyone.

Wright, Wilfork, Green
Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin
Hobbs, Meriweather, Sanders, Gay

That's not bad. It's better than what almost beat the Colts last year.

This guy better be ready to frickin *play* or he'll absolutely go on the "dead to me" list along with another kicker and former defensive co-ordinator.

This guy better be ready to frickin *play* or he'll absolutely go on the "dead to me" list along with another kicker and former defensive co-ordinator.

Alonzo says he's ready, but then again, what agent would say anything not laudatory about his player.

Last edited:
As all others in their rookie contracts, Samuel thought that playing hard LAST year earned him a fine long-term contract from among the teams that he chose to negotiate with. He didn't sit out like Seymour and Branch. He played his butt off to get the best free agent contract possible. His reward from the patriots: a denial of free agency, a franchise tag and a take it or leave it contract offer. We're patriot fans. We have no issue with our team using every method they can within the CBA to get the best for the team.

HOWEVER, IMHO we shouldn't whine when a player uses what little leverage he has.

WELCOME BACK, ASANTE!!!!

mgteich..watch it. *you're* going to go on to the "dead to me list" if you keep this up. This ain't about "fairness". It's about us as fans getting our fricking money's worth from supporting these overgrown children with our hard earned dollars. Save fairness for the picket line outside the 3rd world shirt factory..SHEESH!

Alonzo says he's ready, but then again, what agent would say anything not laudatory about his player.

Rodney has been keeping tabs on him - this has been mentioned in different herald articles - and Asante tells him hes doing his work.

But then again he could be sitting on a couch eating cheetos watchin sportscenter....

mgteich..watch it. *you're* going to go on to the "dead to me list" if you keep this up. This ain't about "fairness". It's about us as fans getting our fricking money's worth from supporting these overgrown children with our hard earned dollars. Save fairness for the picket line outside the 3rd world shirt factory..SHEESH!
Oh please, Asante's employer isn't exactly living by third world standards, either. Remember, they both had the power to end the holdout, the Pats could have given him a long term deal. They felt it wasn't in their interest, and he felt it wasn't in his to show up right away. According to your logic players should all take a few hundred grand, and play for "the fans". No, they're going to want everything they think is coming to them, and the team will be looking to save every penny they have. It's no different for them than it is for us, except they're playing with much bigger sums.

Wow, you guys are all cool, but why all the conflict over good news?
If true, this improves this team significantly imo.
Of course he will drag his feet for a couple days to "save face" or whatever.
But I repeat, "whatever".
I think it's safe to say that he's in good physical condition.
If he signs now, he'll be ready to go week 1.
And if he performs as well as he thinks he can, he will indeed "Get Paid" next year.
Fair enough.

Schefter has an article online now about Samuel:

LINK

He sure makes it sound like Samuel will be back.

In the same article, at the bottom, he lists players who may be cut or placed on the PUP. He says this:

Schefter said:
Chad Jackson, WR, New England Patriots: He could wind up being cut as easily as landing on the PUP.

Jackson cut? Given his talent, I hope they don't give up on him yet.

Schefter has an article online now about Samuel:

LINK

He sure makes it sound like Samuel will be back.

In the same article, at the bottom, he lists players who may be cut or placed on the PUP. He says this:

Jackson cut? Given his talent, I hope they don't give up on him yet.

Personally, put me in the "In BB We Trust" camp on this one.
My only concern is that a 2nd round steal turns into a 2nd round bust under that scenario.
And that's never good.

Wow! I hope you're right. You are saying that our defense is better than last year without Samuel, Harrison, Seymour, Wilson and Warren.
I was talking about the Indy game. Harrison and Wilson were out. Seymour was in and out. And I added Thomas, Meriweather, Gay and what should be healthier Hobbs and Bruschi.

Well, looks like my guess in the 'when will Samuel return' contest was off about a week. I would have rather he was playing tommorrow so he's have more time with the 1st team D. Maybe he won't be on it. People need to get over it and be glad he's back. It will improve the team.

Oh please, Asante's employer isn't exactly living by third world standards, either. Remember, they both had the power to end the holdout, the Pats could have given him a long term deal. They felt it wasn't in their interest, and he felt it wasn't in his to show up right away. According to your logic players should all take a few hundred grand, and play for "the fans". No, they're going to want everything they think is coming to them, and the team will be looking to save every penny they have. It's no different for them than it is for us, except they're playing with much bigger sums.

I know but this isn't like that Brown character who is taking every penny he saves from player contracts and is putting it in his own pocket. The money Asante doesn't get this year goes into Warren's pocket...comprenez vous? This strategy is practiced with total heartless logic. Think about Rodney. You want to get upset about the injustice of imbalanced power? They took away 700K of the most dedicated fiercest warrior who ever played this game. Don't talk to me about Asante man. It's called capitalism. I should know what it's like since they sent my job and my health benefits to India after 12 years of faithful service. Asante can kiss my *ss.

Last edited:
That is terrific news that Asante is expected back soon. Because honestly our CB's would be looking pretty thin without him.

Hopefully he can provide another Pro Bowl worthy season.

I guess its about time for my rebuttal. First let me say that I am happy that Asante is reporting in a few days. It will give us great depth now in the secondary and eventually allow Merriweather to go back to safety where we will have a great, flexible and deep 4 man safety corps that could be the best in the league. That means you can do a lot of things on defense that we couldn't do, scheme wise, the last few years because of all the injuries back there.

That being said, I stand by what I originally wrote. You CAN'T know football and thing that Samuel can come back after this exhibition game and with 10 practices be at close to 100% readiness for the first 3 games. Especially since by this time, contact will be severely limited. You CAN'T know football if you don't understand that being in physical shape and football shape are two ENTIRELY different things.

Why do you think they go to TC anyway. Do you think its merely for tradition sake? :rolleyes: Tell me if practice isn't important, why are BB team's better at the end of season than at the begining. Football is a game of practice and repetitions. Samuel not only missed TC, he missed ALL of the mini camps, passing camps, meetings, etc. So much of the work that USED to be done in TC is now done in those OTAs in the "off season". That's whay TC now seems less intense with fewer 2 a days, and less hitting.

Being familiar with the terminology helps, but it doesn't replace all those reps. It doesn't help with your timing and getting used to game speed. So don't think that he'll be the elite CB for the first quarter of the season. Including the OTAs, he's already more than 5 weeks behind. It doesn't replace the time the team spent in meetings and film study.

My complaint with Samuel is, again, that he is being paid at the level of the top 3 CBs in the league. There are likely only 2 other CBs in the league getting more money to play this year. If he came back 6-10 days ago, I'd not be talking like this, but right now he is getting paid to be an elite CB and that is NOT GOING TO BE POSSIBLE for the first 3 or 4 games.

Now MGteich wrote a great post stating the opposite position. Let me address it directly.

Originally Posted by mgteich
As all others in their rookie contracts, Samuel thought that playing hard LAST year earned him a fine long-term contract from among the teams that he chose to negotiate with.

That's not entirely true MG, its not like they sprung this "Franchise" tag on him over this off season. When he signed his original contract he knew being franchised was a possibility (a remote possibility 4 years ago, and one he would have been thrilled to have, at that time). So don't be so dramatic with your tale about the poor indentured servant who thought his time was up only to be told he had to go back to the plantation. :rolleyes:

He didn't sit out like Seymour and Branch. He played his butt off to get the best free agent contract possible. His reward from the patriots: a denial of free agency, a franchise tag and a take it or leave it contract offer.

You are right MG, he deserves to be rewarded and the Pats did. In fact this year he will be paid more than 18 time MORE than what he made last year. Now he gets is to now be PAID as one of the best CBs backs in the league. What a screw job the Pats put on Samuel. Throw me a towel, a tissue isn't going to do it. :rolleyes: ON this point, you get an A+ in spin, but a D in reality. Also don't forget that he was offered a LT deal that was more than realistic based on his 4 year history of production, which would have given him EVEN MORE upfront money than he's getting now. The Pats didn't just slap the franchise tag on him, and leave him hanging...as you imply

We're patriot fans. We have no issue with our team using every method they can within the CBA to get the best for the team. HOWEVER, IMHO we shouldn't whine when a player uses what little leverage he has.

Maybe you are right here, MG. The fans shouldn't whine. However the TEAM should. Because they are the ones who will write the game checks knowing that they are getting a lot less than what they are paying for...at least for the first 3 or 4 games

BOTTOM LINE: Don't let my rant make you forget that this is GOOD news. As someone said earlier the circle is now complete. The offense will be slow in putting it together, but the defense, even with a sub par Samuel, should be one of the top 3 defenses in the league from the start, and one that will get stronger as injuries take their tolls on teams that are not as deep as we are...and Samuel gets his legs under him.

AND that's how I feel even after 10 pages of posts. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

I tend to agree. If Darelle Revis can play week 1 after 2 weeks in the Jets' system, Asante should certainly be able to see some snaps soon.

Asante's already proven he can train pretty effectively down in Florida.

On the subject of Asante's return, I always expected he'd report just prior to the seasons start. This way Asante gets paid his full contract, while not having to risk injury during training camp or the preseason. Really, I never understood why anyone expected him to sit out ten games, or report any sooner....this made the most sense.

If he's on the field by next Thursday, Week 1, or Week 4... so be it. What really matters here is Samuel, barring injury, will be in full flow come Week 9 against the Colts. Of course that game will likely determine who's top seed.

Why do you think they go to TC anyway. Do you think its merely for tradition sake?
Largely, yeah. It used to be to get in shape. He's in shape. He knows the defense. He knows Rodney and Geno next to him. For a veteran like Zante, yeah, it's basically a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back