PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

The fans complain when their binky doesn't get enough reps. It is their right and priviledge.

Samuel played out his rookie contract, not holding out like Seymour and Branch. His reward? The team used the CBA letter of the law to place a franchise tag on a player who has completed his contract (at very low compensation). Then, Samuel tried in vain to use his nonexistent leverage to try to get himself trade, and then waited until the last minute to report. He now will play another year, and then see if the patriots will choose to keep him from free agency yet again.

And many fans will continue to whine.
The question is is Samuel going to be ready to play football as a professional in Game one. The answer to that is NO. He has reported late and will NOT be ready. I think that shows what he is all aboutl getting paid top dollat and already behind. You can try to spin it anyway yoiu like, but that to me shows a lack of professionalism. Not that it isn't his right to..for it is.

A franchised player who hasn't sat out camp? Charles Woodson. Lance Briggs. Josh Brown. Justin Smith.

Would you like me to continue?

kickers aren't real players. :nono:

ditto for Moss and Seymour??

The question is is Samuel going to be ready to play football as a professional in Game one. The answer to that is NO. He has reported late and will NOT be ready. I think that shows what he is all aboutl getting paid top dollat and already behind. You can try to spin it anyway yoiu like, but that to me shows a lack of professionalism. Not that it isn't his right to..for it is.

ditto for Moss and Seymour??
I didn't know Samuel was injured..maybe in character he is. When you compare an injury to a holdout that is pretty desperate...and a laugher.

If the season started this weekend, do you think Seymour and Moss would start? You bet! If the season started two weeks ago, they would have been the starters. It is a time honored tradition for players to be "injured" until the last preseason game. Did O-T-I-S even play the first preseason game?

Samuel doesn't need to risk training camp injuries in order to be ready to play. He and Hobbs will be ready to go for Game 1.

I didn't know Samuel was injured..maybe in character he is. When you compare an injury to a holdout that is pretty desperate...and a laugher.

Right but by the logic suggested on this board we shouldn't expect any of them to start and play until week 4 or 5 because they haven't been on the field. Seymour has had as much physical work in this 2007 installment of the team as Asante. Yet Asante is uninjured and likely in great shape, As Rodney has often hinted towards the media, so one would think that would give the edge to Asante. - Asante is no dummy - he wants another great year to prove his worth and guarantee himself the cash from the Patriots or whoever.

Seriously though, whats with all the Debby Damper's on this board - our best corner is reporting according to perhaps the most reliable insider in football! Come on people.

Last edited:

Right but by the logic suggested on this board we shouldn't expect any of them to start and play until week 4 or 5 because they haven't been on the field. Seymour has had as much physical work in this 2007 installment of the team as Asante. Yet Asante is uninjured and likely in great shape, As Rodney has often hinted towards the media, so one would think that would give the edge to Asante. - Asante is no dummy - he wants another great year to prove his worth and guarantee himself the cash from the Patriots or whoever.

Hey. Stop putting logic in the way of people working themselves into a self-righteous lather. Can't you see that getting all up an in arms over things is the one thing football fans seem to enjoy even more than watching football?

self-righteous lather.

Hold on had to break out the dictionary for that one -- I think that meant they would rather not see this for what it is?

Last edited:

Why bother, so the patriots can franchise him again?

- Asante is no dummy - he wants another great year to prove his worth and guarantee himself the cash from the Patriots or whoever.

Seriously though, whats with all the Debby Damper's on this board - our best corner is reporting according to perhaps the most reliable insider in football! Come on people.

Did anybody actually hear how Schefter said this?!? I don't trust rotoworld. They'd put up such a report even if this was Schefter's opinion or perhaps a "rumbling" rather than a statement of fact.

On the flip side, if Schefter said "Samuel will report next week", then I believe it.

Damn, my suspicions were right. Schefter was not definitive at all. They have the video on NFL.com. Schefter says "it looks like we're about to see Asante Samuel return to the Patriots" and "It looks like the plan right now is to return at some point as early as next week". FWIW, he also said that Samuel wants to be ready for the opener (not, uh, week 4...;)) {Brief version: watch video for more details and tone.} Schefter would have said "Samuel will report" if he had definitive information.

Mods--please change title to something like "Schefter: looks like Samuel will report as early as next week"

Rotoworld sucks folks, but it was a very encouraging report.

Last edited:

Why bother, so the patriots can franchise him again?

Well what do you suppose he does? Half-heartedly play and hope hes downgraded to a 2nd or 3rd string corner? I'm sure other teams would really respect a player like this and be more than willing to throw a great deal his way.

If he really felt this way, we wouldn't see him until week 10.

I just saw a poster on another board say that NFL network has reported that Asante has just signed the tender.

I don't know if this is true or not. Just reporting what I saw posted.

Nope, it's about money. This is a business. He wanted to be paid. Actually, I still hope that the patriots have agreed not to franchise him next year in return for his coming back.

BTW, he doesn't have to give 110% to be starter on our team. Half-hearted is still better than Randall Gay.

Well what do you suppose he does? Half-heartedly play and hope hes downgraded to a 2nd or 3rd string corner? I'm sure other teams would really respect a player like this and be more than willing to throw a great deal his way.

If he really felt this way, we wouldn't see him until week 10.

Last edited:

I don't understand it. If he is coming in next week, why on get in this week, or last week, so he can be at full speed for the season. He IS NOT going to be at full speed for the season opener. So to my way of thinking he is getting a $500,000 game check under false pretenses. In fact it will be unlikely that Samuel will be ready to step into the starting lineup until the 4th of 5th game.

Its unlikely to effect whether the Pats win or lose, but it dimishes Samuel in my eyes. I had no problem with his holdout, even if it went to 10 games. He is a FA and has that right. However by coming in now he takes the money, but without providing the services. He's a fraud in my eyes now. It will be hard to root for him in the same way again.

This is an asinine post. They are called "game checks" and not "practice checks" for a reason. A veteran like Samuel can come in, practice for a couple weeks and be game ready. The Patriots are absolutely getting the benefit of their bargain.

If true, just fantastic news.

The final piece in what could be a tremendous defense.

The DL goes about five deep, with Green and Wright looking very good this pre-season.

The LB corps is at least five deep, with Adalius a threat from any position.

The DB corps now includes Samuel, Hobbs, Harrison - who looked terrific against Tennessee - Wilson, Sanders - another great camp - Gay, and Meriweather. That's seven deep.

Let's hope Samuel is back soon.

If true, just fantastic news.

The final piece in what could be a tremendous defense.

The DL goes about five deep, with Green and Wright looking very good this pre-season.

The LB corps is at least five deep, with Adalius a threat from any position.

The DB corps now includes Samuel, Hobbs, Harrison - who looked terrific against Tennessee - Wilson, Sanders - another great camp - Gay, and Meriweather. That's seven deep.

Let's hope Samuel is back soon.

...and then the red, white, and blue will march their way across the country to Arizona. It's manifest destiny!

It's only natural for him to try to extract a small pound of flesh rather than just slink back with his tail between his legs.

I'm ***ante $amuel. It's July, and I've decided that I won't report until late August, but will show up at that point to collect my 7.9 million dollars. To teach the team a lesson, I will wait to show up until it's too late for me to be in top form when we play the Jets and Chargers. That'll show 'em. Make me mad, and I will try to make it more likely for the team to lose. I am a dirtbag.

You know, I'll hold a grudge longer than most but I don't understand the hatred here. Unlike Mr. Branch he played his way to have this right and as of now looks like he won't hurt the team. If he's in the shape he's said to be he'll be ready game one and I have no issue with that whatsoever.

This is an asinine post. They are called "game checks" and not "practice checks" for a reason. A veteran like Samuel can come in, practice for a couple weeks and be game ready. The Patriots are absolutely getting the benefit of their bargain.

I agree, Samuel kept himself in great shape while training in Florida last year. I expect him to be in similar condition this year.

The guy has played for 2 SB teams, gotten better each year. I am really glad he is back because HE HELPS US WIN GAMES. Good grief, would anyone really want to see Tory James playing CB.

Welcome back Asante, you are still one of my favorite players.

Ps. This played out exactly the way many predicted, nothing shocking at all. The players (all the players) will welcome him back and understand that he has a limited shot to get his money, all the goodwill from know it all internet posters (like me) don't help the players once their 3-8 years in the NFL has ended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back