PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Asante Samuel will report next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week (per Schefter)

It'[s good that he is back but he will NOY ve ready for teh first few games. Already he is starting off behind and that is NOT good. It doesn't at all help himself either; yes he will be here before the first game, but I would NOT be surprised if sometime early he is injured. And I do have problems with it and anyone who undesrtands what football is about SHOULD have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Re: Asante Samuel Will Report Next Week

I don't understand it. If he is coming in next week, why on get in this week, or last week, so he can be at full speed for the season. He IS NOT going to be at full speed for the season opener. So to my way of thinking he is getting a $500,000 game check under false pretenses. In fact it will be unlikely that Samuel will be ready to step into the starting lineup until the 4th of 5th game.

Its unlikely to effect whether the Pats win or lose, but it dimishes Samuel in my eyes. I had no problem with his holdout, even if it went to 10 games. He is a FA and has that right. However by coming in now he takes the money, but without providing the services. He's a fraud in my eyes now. It will be hard to root for him in the same way again.

That was his negotiating threat -- give me something you don't have to, or I won't give you more than I have to either.

I think he's fully aware that he's not giving his best possible season of play for the franchise money. He's merely giving what he has to contractually to earn it.

And that's the way the CBA works. As long as his work ethic is what it always was once he's here, we have little basis for griping.

Last edited:

BTW, didn't a source much closer to the Pats say that Samuel would be back last week? And it didn't happen. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Until Samuel signs on the dotted line, he's not here. And it hurts the team.

BTW, didn't a source much closer to the Pats say that Samuel would be back last week? And it didn't happen. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Until Samuel signs on the dotted line, he's not here. And it hurts the team.

yeah but Schefter's decrees are infallible...most of the time

Until I see Assante has signed, Im not getting too excited about it..

I don't understand it. If he is coming in next week, why on get in this week, or last week, so he can be at full speed for the season. He IS NOT going to be at full speed for the season opener. So to my way of thinking he is getting a $500,000 game check under false pretenses. In fact it will be unlikely that Samuel will be ready to step into the starting lineup until the 4th of 5th game.

Its unlikely to effect whether the Pats win or lose, but it dimishes Samuel in my eyes. I had no problem with his holdout, even if it went to 10 games. He is a FA and has that right. However by coming in now he takes the money, but without providing the services. He's a fraud in my eyes now. It will be hard to root for him in the same way again.
=====================================

I am not sure when he will be ready, probably week one, maybe he wont start, but he should get some significant game time.

Free agents always set out training camp, because they can, and TC sucks, not to mention the risk of injury that could potentionaly cost him millions.

That would be today. I just think that the staff might choose not to have him start in the opener. He'll still get plenty of reps.

True, they'll probably hold him fron starting just to prove a point but if the coaches feel Samuel is the best man for the job that'll better help them win football games, he'll be out there on the job as fast as you can say "Pats win" :D

And on a related note... Michael Felger has slunk back into his hole to conjure up another doomsday scenario...

No reason he won't play Week 1. Supposedly he's in great shape and it won't take him more than a week of practice and part of a preseason game to be ready. He'll be ready - his price tag in March depends on it.

And that's the way the CBA works. As long as his work ethic is what it always was once he's here, we have little basis for griping.
The fans have a RIGHT to gripe..He's getting paid TOP money and not in camp..every fan SHOULD gripe..he's starting off poorly. NOT what getting top money deserbes. Sure as far as teh VBA goes, but as a so called professional he has already shown what he is made of.

=====================================
IFree agents always set out training camp, because they can, and TC sucks, not to mention the risk of injury that could potentionaly cost him millions.
This late arrival could cost him just as many millions...MORE chance of injury now, not less. I think he's played his cards wrong already..we'll see what happens.

Did anybody actually hear how Schefter said this?!? I don't trust rotoworld. They'd put up such a report even if this was Schefter's opinion or perhaps a "rumbling" rather than a statement of fact.

On the flip side, if Schefter said "Samuel will report next week", then I believe it.

What a sad p*ssing contest. Surely both parties can come to some mutually beneficial agreement before they both go "Nuclear". Asante doesn't play until week 10..maybe no SB. Asante doesn't play until week 10 maybe no "Clements moment".

Wow, what the heck is this all about?

4th or 5th game? More like, as soon as he steps on the field.

The fans complain when their binky doesn't get enough reps. It is their right and priviledge.

Samuel played out his rookie contract, not holding out like Seymour and Branch. His reward? The team used the CBA letter of the law to place a franchise tag on a player who has completed his contract (at very low compensation). Then, Samuel tried in vain to use his nonexistent leverage to try to get himself trade, and then waited until the last minute to report. He now will play another year, and then see if the patriots will choose to keep him from free agency yet again.

And many fans will continue to whine.

The fans have a RIGHT to gripe..He's getting paid TOP money and not in camp..every fan SHOULD gripe..he's starting off poorly. NOT what getting top money deserbes. Sure as far as teh VBA goes, but as a so called professional he has already shown what he is made of.

Last edited:

This late arrival could cost him just as many millions...MORE chance of injury now, not less. I think he's played his cards wrong already..we'll see what happens.

==================================

Hey I did not make it up, thats how franchise guys play it, you may be rite, but the franchise players always sit out TC.

If I am wrong name a Franchised FA that has not set out camp, I am sure there is one, I just can't think of any.

In fact it will be unlikely that Samuel will be ready to step into the starting lineup until the 4th of 5th game.
Ken you're kidding right ? 4th or 5th game ? More like first play, first game.

Hey I did not make it up, thats how franchise guys play it, you may be rite, but the franchise players always sit out TC.

If I am wrong name a Franchised FA that has not set out camp, I am sure there is one, I just can't think of any.

A franchised player who hasn't sat out camp? Charles Woodson. Lance Briggs. Josh Brown. Justin Smith.

Would you like me to continue?

A franchised player who hasn't sat out camp? Charles Woodson. Lance Briggs. Josh Brown. Justin Smith.

Would you like me to continue?
Wow that was quick.

Well you blew my argument completely out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes