PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sanchez hurts throwing shoulder

This is true - we may have seen the last of a Patriot national treasure as a regular season QB for the Jets.

Loyal Jets fans have hope Sanchez can be back in time for the playoffs.

Jets say Sanchez is day-to-day, confirming injury isn't season ending, but I can tell you there's no guarantee he'll be ready for wk 1.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/371754818907701248

Jets QB Mark Sanchez has a bruised right shoulder joint, per league source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/371790036049874944

#Jets won't know how long Sanchez will be out until he resumes throwing, per @AdamSchefter.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/371797284209831939

Just out of curiosity, at the end of the game with the Lions, was Mallett out there with 2nd stringers or 3rds ?

well...to be honest, since half the O line didn't even dress, I'd say they were the 2nd stringers but actually two or three THIRD string O line guys....

well...to be honest, since half the O line didn't even dress, I'd say they were the 2nd stringers but actually two or three THIRD string O line guys....

I hate to defend Rex, but the reason I asked is that the Jets are having a full fledged QB completion. This isn't like the situation in Seattle last year where you had a presumptive starter in Flynn, being challenged in camp by a 2nd or 3rd teamer in Russell.

In the Jet's case, Sanchez and Geno basically swap being the #1 and #2 each week. Last week, Sanchez rolled with the starters and Geno went with the 2's. In yesterday's game, Geno was the starter and Sanchez was the #2. Geno went 3 quarters with the 1sts and 2nds (like Sanchez did in the previous game), then Sanchez got his turn at bat to make his case (which Smith didn't do in the previous game because he was nursing an injury).

Hope he recovers quickly, never like to see a player injured, no matter what team.

This was an interesting example of Rex Ryan's approach to coaching.

This was a preseason game against the local Super Bowl winning team. Rex really wanted to win.

When Geno went down, rather than go to the next guy on the depth chart, Rex put his likely starting QB in late in the game. Never mind the injury risk behind this offensive line - not only second/third stringers, but also a lineup that Sanchez had not likely worked with at all. Never mind what getting put in during the fourth quarter could potentially do to a demonstrably sensitive guy.

This is a very different approach than Belichick would ever take. It speaks to the emotional, competitive nature of Ryan. He wants to win so much that the fourth quarter of a preseason game becomes so important - to win, not to coldly evaluate the back end of the roster. Belichick has a plan, and he is going to stick to that plan. Ryan is a little more James Tiberius Kirk, but without the scriptwriter saving him. You can see how the emotion and passion stirs the team, especially in the playoffs. There are times when that passion translates into performance on the field. And there are times when that passion just backfires. Just as there are times that Belichick's less emotional engagement make the team seem like a colder place.

Brady is obviously a different context, compared to Sanchez and Smith. But I can't imagine Belichick doing that to, say, Chandler Jones or Solder.

But I can't imagine Belichick doing that to, say, Chandler Jones or Solder.

Yeah, Belichick would never put a starter out on STs during preseason or anything like that.

Just out of curiosity, at the end of the game with the Lions, was Mallett out there with 2nd stringers or 3rds ?

The Pats only had 11 offensive linemen on the roster at the time, so that would be 2nd stringers.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back