PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap now $132 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Salary Cap upped to 130M..per ESPN

Why is the cap number a surprise? Why don't they know definitely years ahead of time what the cap number is? Curious to know how this process works must be based on revenue or something.

Exactly, I am not going to even attempt to try and figure out how and when they actually calculate but the players have a set percentage of the revenue they are owed. So as revenue grows so does the cap.

And teams likely have a very good idea on what it will be each year but obviously there is point where it is made officials. I doubt the added 2 mil comes as a shock to most in the NFL but was more than the media was predicting.

Where are all the super cap gurus complaining that we didn't spend every dime of available cap space last year?

Yeah this is a ****ty 'I told you so' post and it's pretty gauche but I don't care. Given our existing FAs we're not in great cap situation at all.

Except that every other team found that $50 as well. But, that does help. I think most cap experts on this was expecting somewhere between a 126-128 cap.

That is the way I thought it about it at first glance as well, but after thinking about it more, I don't think that's the case.

The teams with the biggest commitment to winning, that spend very close to the cap each year will have the advantage. For teams that are always pretty far under due to cheap management, this will not matter to them. However, you could say that in the case of the Patriots, it is closer to a zero sum game since their real competitors (Steelers, Ravens, Broncos) are in similar situations to them with not a lot of cap space and needing a little extra to retain a few key players.

While everyone else in the world also finds $50 and inflation hits and you are back to even

True, but it is not about finding the $50 it is about how you spend the $50 that matters.

True, but it is not about finding the $50 it is about how you spend the $50 that matters.

Unfortunately we're talking about purchases in a vacuum with a low supply and high demand.

I'm calling Fitzgerald agent right now

Fitzgerald sucks seriously dude...I prefer others.

Good news if you're an NFL FA

I don't think this really changes anything for Edelman and Talib, any team that was going to give them big money was probably already well uner the cap and they had the advantage over the patriots to begin with. What this does is give those teams up against the cap or over it more leeway and supplies a little extra to teams that were already in good shape against it. This help the Patriots and makes it a little easier for team's like them to keep some players they want to keep or maybe add a free agent they like.

Wonder if the Washington front office knew this before they locked up D'Angelo Hall?

Then again, it's Washington, so they probably didn't...

Except that every other team found that $50 as well. But, that does help. I think most cap experts on this was expecting somewhere between a 126-128 cap.

It all depends. There are teams who wouldn't increase their spending even if the cap was moved to over $200 million. There are other teams who know they are going to be in cap problems down the road and will carry over the increase into next year to help with future cap hit.

Yes, there are some GMs/owners who look at this extra money to spend and spend, but I am not sure if teams are going to abandon their conservative spending habits of the last few years just yet.

I don't think this really changes anything for Edelman and Talib, any team that was going to give them big money was probably already well uner the cap and they had the advantage over the patriots to begin with. What this does is give those teams up against the cap or over it more leeway and supplies a little extra to teams that were already in good shape against it. This help the Patriots and makes it a little easier for team's like them to keep some players they want to keep or maybe add a free agent they like.

Yes is does and thats not counting a Vince Wilfork and Possibly Logan Mankings restructure. For them to keep Edelman and Talib that 130M is gravy. First things first they can now address their own and not let em test the waters. Both Edelman and Talib like it or not will be coveted by other Teams. I dont think either is seeking a break the bank type deal.

While everyone else in the world also finds $50 and inflation hits and you are back to even

Not necessarily. With the extra wiggle room (I am not saying we should or should not) it may be possible to franchise Talib, and move his contract negotiations into next years cap budget, and still maintain an acceptable cap this year.

The leverage in Wilfork's case is not a flat cap.

It's the fact that he's coming back from a major injury, with no guarantees that he would ever see that $8M.

Yeah, Wilfork's leverage doesn't increase that much. He is an older player, carrying around a ton of weight, coming off a major injury, and probably won't be able to work out for teams until well after free agency begins.

In fact, this increase could hurt Wilfork. I am guessing he won't be able to work out for teams until late spring/early summer, if not later. If the increase in cap space creates a free agency feeding frenzy, the teams that would have given Wilfork a big contract may not have the cap space after overpaying for talent in March and April.

I think this is good for the Pats, even knowing that every other team is seeing the same increase. Why? Because this is the year that we're dealing with two major and relatively unique strains on the salary cap: Wilfork's return from injury/extreme cap hit, plus seeing the rest of Hernandez's dead money. If there was ever a year that the Pats really need some flexibility, this is it. A couple million of wiggle room makes the remaining Hernandez hit proportionately a little less of a big deal, and that has value.

Yes is does and thats not counting a Vince Wilfork and Possibly Logan Mankings restructure. For them to keep Edelman and Talib that 130M is gravy. First things first they can now address their own and not let em test the waters. Both Edelman and Talib like it or not will be coveted by other Teams. I dont think either is seeking a break the bank type deal.

It helps with Talib. Edelman is an interesting player, his value could very well be the $6M-$8M that other top slot receivers (Welker, Cruz, Amendola, and Harvin) received last offseason. What he is worth to the team that already has Amendola under contract is in my opinion less. Unless you want to move forward with two slot receivers as primary targets. I do not think that is in the best interest of the team personally. I think Edelman is great and I think Amendola is solid, but the type of players they are (as Welker has shown us in the past) makes them defendable, they do not have the size, or athletic talents that allow them to dominate any defensive game plan like a Gronkowski.

I think the team needs to commit to Edelman or Amendola and then focus on building out the rest of the offense with players that are not complementary players. For years, we have been attempting to run our offense through a complementary player and that is not a knock on Welker, Amendola, or Edelman it is just the cold hard truth in my opinion.

Exactly, I am not going to even attempt to try and figure out how and when they actually calculate but the players have a set percentage of the revenue they are owed. So as revenue grows so does the cap.

And teams likely have a very good idea on what it will be each year but obviously there is point where it is made officials. I doubt the added 2 mil comes as a shock to most in the NFL but was more than the media was predicting.

The players are promised a certain percentage of revenue, but that amount relates to total compensation. In addition to pay (salaries, bonuses, incentives), it includes all benefit costs. The salary cap is determined by taking the players % of all revenues, and subtracting out the cost of the players' benefits.

Benefit cost cannot be determined for certain right away. For example, the NFL's health care premiums may not be known until a few months before the end of the year. Pension costs are developed based on economic conditions as of a specific date (likely league year end), whose variables include investment performance and bond yields. Estimates can be made on all these things, but you can't get the exact number until the specific date has passed.

$2m higher than was being projected. I wonder if that's because the NFLPA exercised that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST