PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap now $132 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots can now re-sign Talib, Edelman and Blount, easily, as long as they don't go crazy with their contract demands. That's nothing even approaching a bad thing.

The place where this is more likely to hurt NE is in adding FAs, not retaining them, and that can be fixed easily enough with just a couple of contract restructures.

We're of the same opinion, I may just not have done the best job wording it. I agree it helps in house.

Outside FA's are what I was meaning it hurts our chances to get involved with.

Overall, I have no worries about this FA period, as everyone has stated, we can very easily make room if need be.

This is NOT good news for the patriots. ALL teams now have $9M more than last year, when most were not projecting a large increase. It will significantly more difficult for the patriots to re-sign their UFA's.

IMO this means not a whole lot of FA's will be hitting the market and teams like pitt and Denver who were almost in cap hell are ok now but I don't see it having a big effect on the pats re-signing Edelman. Talib and Ryan Wendell,

other then Ryan Wendell they are all players who have a past with injuries and both Talib and Edelman had career years so IMO no team will brake the bank for them. I do agree that they wont just sign for pennies but I think the pats can bring them all back if they want

So, you all think that every team having $9M more than last year will not affect the cost of Edelman or Talib? OK, you guys have a different idea of markets in general and NFL market in particular.

Perhaps, Belichick will simply adapt/cave and pay more, but IMHO the cost will be more than it would have been if the cap had remained lower.

The patriots could have always brought back Edelman and Talib if Belichick want to pay the price. The question is whether the price has gone up (compared to having a lower cap) and whether the patriots will pay the increased price.

I do agree that they wont just sign for pennies but I think the pats can bring them all back if they want

Not sure BB will up the ante on players just because he has more cap $$$$.

If other teams want to overpay for any player, BB will let them.

I think it just makes it easier to pay what he feels a player is worth and not have to worry about them having to take a hometown discount to stay.

Will Pats lose a FA or two...sure, all teams do....but if he REALLY wants a player, he has the $$$ to keep him.

Great, now the Pats have $ to pay Minitron

So, you all think that every team having $9M more than last year will not affect the cost of Edelman or Talib? OK, you guys have a different idea of markets in general and NFL market in particular.

Perhaps, Belichick will simply adapt/cave and pay more, but IMHO the cost will be more than it would have been if the cap had remained lower.

Talib was going to get paid, and there were already plenty of teams to make sure of that. You choose to ignore that. Others don't.

Talib was going to get paid, and there were already plenty of teams to make sure of that. You choose to ignore that. Others don't.

And apparently you choose to ignore, while others don't, that teams already interested can pay even more, and with 9 mill extra to spend other teams may enter. To say that has no impact on the Patriots ability to resign Talib is just obtuse.

The thing about extra cap money for all the teams is actually an advantage to NE. Many of the teams that have big #'s under the cap aren't attractive to destinations for FA's. The Patriots, who are consistently in the hunt for a Lombardi year-in-and-year-out are now in a better position to attract players who are motivated by exactly what we want-winning. Why anyone would think this hurts us is beyond reason.

The FA's motivated by the payday have already scratched us of their list prior to any cap increase anyway. Players who come here are generally motivated by rings and glory. They want to earn the real bling.

The thing about extra cap money for all the teams is actually an advantage to NE. Many of the teams that have big #'s under the cap aren't attractive to destinations for FA's. The Patriots, who are consistently in the hunt for a Lombardi year-in-and-year-out are now in a better position to attract players who are motivated by exactly what we want-winning. Why anyone would think this hurts us is beyond reason.

The FA's motivated by the payday have already scratched us of their list prior to any cap increase anyway. Players who come here are generally motivated by rings and glory. They want to earn the real bling.

I dont think that gets you players when you haven't won a ring in 10 years.

I dont think that gets you players when you haven't won a ring in 10 years.

Brady and Belichick, 13 straight winning seasons, 8 AFCCG including the last 3 with a fairly young squad emerging. You don't think at least some players would be attracted by that?

I did a double take when I saw this was your post Andy. Usually it's some bitter Jet troll who feels the need to point out the ring drought. We've still had a lot of hat and T-shirt wins.

Brady and Belichick, 13 straight winning seasons, 8 AFCCG including the last 3 with a fairly young squad emerging. You don't think at least some players would be attracted by that?

I did a double take when I saw this was your post Andy. Usually it's some bitter Jet troll who feels the need to point out the ring drought. We've still had a lot of hat and T-shirt wins.

I don't 'feel a need to point to ring drought' but you seem to be ignoring it.
5-10 years ago, we were probably the #1 choice of a vet looking for a ring. Today, we just aren't. I mean, all you have to do is look at who is coming here and who isn't.
Sure we have an advantage over crappy franchises with the handful of aging guys who make winning a championship their priority, but we are at least competing with if not being Seattle, SF, Denver and Baltimore, GB and NO are in the discussion.

I don't 'feel a need to point to ring drought' but you seem to be ignoring it.
5-10 years ago, we were probably the #1 choice of a vet looking for a ring. Today, we just aren't. I mean, all you have to do is look at who is coming here and who isn't.
Sure we have an advantage over crappy franchises with the handful of aging guys who make winning a championship their priority, but we are at least competing with if not being Seattle, SF, Denver and Baltimore, GB and NO are in the discussion.

You are correct, I do ignore it. All the near misses and could of been's are too emotionally painful to recollect. It's called Post Traumatic Superbowl Disorder. My legion of therapists tell me I'm making progress though.

Our window of opportunity is quickly closing so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about our immediate future. Only a handful of NFL cities have enjoyed the type of success we've enjoyed in the last 13 years, and I daresay we will eventually have to endure mediocrity or even some losing season's at some point down the road. Better to be a has been then a never was I suppose. Just give me one more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back