PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safeties to watch (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this season we would be well served to pick up a starting Vet and use a 2nd round pick on a S.

Anyone watch any Oregon State games prior to this year? Brandon Hardin, who missed all of the 2011 season with a shoulder injury, just had his Pro Day a week ago and was excellent. Hardin played CB for OSU, but played Safety at the East/West Shrine Game.

Here is what Rob Rang had to say..
nfldraftscout.com said:
Despite the interest, he wasn't invited to the Combine. Hardin showed scouts from roughly half of the league's teams at the Oregon State Pro Daythat perhaps he should have been. Weighing in at 219 pounds Friday, Hardin was clocked at 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to a source on the scene. Hardin also registered a 35.5" vertical jump and a 10'4" broad jump. He also lifted the bar 24 during the bench press drill. Hardin worked his way up the depth chart with the Beavers, emerging as a starting cornerback for the team in 2010. He was expected to start at corner again in 2011 and coaches thought he'd contend for all-conferences honors at the position. The injury robbed him of that opportunity, though he was healthy enough to compete at the East-West Shrine Game. Ironically enough, injuries to others there forced the coaching staff to ask Hardin to make the switch to safety. Some scouts believe safety is the position that offers Hardin his greatest chance at success in the NFL. As such, that's where NFLDraftScout.com projects him as a draftable commodity. Hardin struggled with injuries a bit while at Oregon State. Other than the shoulder injury, which required surgery, Hardin played through a broken hand and sprained wrist (other arm) in 2008.

I don't know what his Shuttle or 3-cone numbers were, but the bench press number shows that his shoulder, wrist and hand are healthy.

At 6'2 5/8" and 219 lbs, he's a definite candidate for safety, imho. Also, Hardin is a gunner on special teams. He looks to be a solid tackler from what I can find. I'll have to go back and watch the East/West game to see if I can notice anything.

As a side note, all the scouts at the East/West game that Hardin talked to were amazed that he didn't receive a combine invite.

Alabama Pro day 2. 3-29-12.

Will get to finally see if Mark Barron can answer his critics and put the x2 hernia to rest.

Also of note, Upshaw and Richardson will be available this time.

Evan Silva @evansilva
#Georgia S Bacarri Rambo is considering the NFL Supplemental Draft per Athens Banner-Herald. 2011 1st-tm All American

Dan Kadar @MockingTheDraft
Unofficial 40 times for Mark Barron were 4.54 and 4.73.

Hopefully that second one is bad enough to drop him to 27.

I re-watched an Alabama game last night. He's just great in every facet of the position. He's so consistent moving up against the run or play deep coverage. He'd be perfect here. I'm dreaming though, he'll probably go between 14 and 21.

Mmmmmmm.......pot brownies.......mmmmmmm.......

I re-watched an Alabama game last night. He's just great in every facet of the position. He's so consistent moving up against the run or play deep coverage. He'd be perfect here. I'm dreaming though, he'll probably go between 14 and 21.

Your namesake said he looked fluid in drills. That's not right. Everyone (who hasn't watched him) says he's stiff. I'd be thrilled if we traded up for him.

Your namesake said he looked fluid in drills. That's not right. Everyone (who hasn't watched him) says he's stiff. I'd be thrilled if we traded up for him.

I don't really want to trade up for anyone, but if I had to, it would only be for Brockers or Barron. Barron will be a pro bowler as a rookie.

I don't really want to trade up for anyone, but if I had to, it would only be for Brockers or Barron. Barron will be a pro bowler as a rookie.

I can't see Barron getting past Dallas. They desperately need a safety, and he'll be right there for them to pick at 14. I can see Brockers sliding to that 18-20 range. Maybe, a little further. You could trade up to get him if SD a willing partner. Give up 63 and 31 for 18. He probably isn't going to give you much this year. Hate to give up two premium picks for a guy who needs some seasoning. Lombardi on Path to the draft tonight said this is like a redshirt year for Brockers.

I just started re-watching the Championship game. On the first play of the game, Barron is 8 yds from the LOS at the snap, immediately recognises it's a run play and by the time the runner gets one yard across the LOS, Barron is through the hole and tackling the runner for a dead stop. He's like having an extra linebacker who can cover the deep half of the field. I understand the necessity for 5-techs in the draft, but Barron is a game changer. Whether it's breaking up a pass, tackling receivers before they get to the first down marker, or stopping RB's dead in their tracks, Barron will positively impact multiple plays during a game.

In case this hasn't been posted yet. I know there is a lot of H. Smith love around here.

Smart/instinctive (thought he would run in the 4.4s based on the tape)
- Can get off the hash/ play the middle of the field
- Hands? Would be a Top 15 pick if he finished plays
- Great anticipation
- Good range
- Will get “leggy” at times in his pedal/high-cut athlete
- Should play 10-12 years in the league
- Early to mid 2nd round pick

NFL Draft: A scout's take on Notre Dame's Harrison Smith | National Football Post

I can't see Barron getting past Dallas. They desperately need a safety, and he'll be right there for them to pick at 14. I can see Brockers sliding to that 18-20 range. Maybe, a little further. You could trade up to get him if SD a willing partner. Give up 63 and 31 for 18. He probably isn't going to give you much this year. Hate to give up two premium picks for a guy who needs some seasoning. Lombardi on Path to the draft tonight said this is like a redshirt year for Brockers.

Dallas is in love with Janoris Jenkins.. It's probably the worst kept secret next to the Colts letting Manning go..

Can one of you guys tell me what you see in Markelle Martin? He's a good athlete but that's about it. His play recognition is horrible, his ball skills are below average, he can't tackle or do really anything against the run, and he just had knee surgery. I see him as a career back-up free safety only. He's not someone I'd consider drafting.

Can one of you guys tell me what you see in Markelle Martin? He's a good athlete but that's about it. His play recognition is horrible, his ball skills are below average, he can't tackle or do really anything against the run, and he just had knee surgery. I see him as a career back-up free safety only. He's not someone I'd consider drafting.

This. Might as well stick with what we've got than waste a pick on Martin.

With Barron almost certainty not falling to us I am now pinning my hopes on Trumaine Johnson. Unfortunately I'm hearing a lot of rumors of Atlanta at 54. Little early but the kid is a ball hawk with nice instincts and great hands. His man skills are very impressive and wonder if he would be used as a hybrid?

If they don't go safety which would be a surprise, they always try to land Lester or McDonald next year. Hopefully if that's the case Gregory has a career year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back