PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safeties to watch (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Micah Hyde (CB/S, Iowa) and Kenny Vaccaro (S, Texas) are two guys that we're scouting tomorrow.

Love both of their skillsets, especially in the 2nd-3rd round range.

We did the Georgia-Tenn game yesterday and the announcers really harped on Georgia's Rambo (Love the name).

The guy to me that has really stood out in the limited time I have seen him is Iloka of Boise State. I'm interested to see how he runs at the combine. He seems to have the instincts that you can't teach.

Dont know if this has been posted yet but Mark Barron - Sr Alabama - is a team captain. Considering how many captains we've drafted recently it's something I'll give weight in evaluating patriot prospects.

Donta Hightower was also named captain.

Link

A guy like Barron would add a lot of size and toughness to the Patriots safety position. He is known as a good hitter, but can he be trusted in coverage?

A guy like Barron would add a lot of size and toughness to the Patriots safety position. He is known as a good hitter, but can he be trusted in coverage?

He blew a couple of coverages Saturday as he fell hard for the misdirection.

I was not at the game, but I heard that Alabama DC Smart benched him for a few series for the mental mistakes.

Apparently before the game, the Vandy QB had guaranteed a Vandy win and that got the Alabama boys all bent out of shape, which is supposed to explain why Alabama defense fell for all that misdirection in the first half.

As a wrap up to this point:

The safeties people are looking at: (heights and weights as reported on NFLDraftScout.com and subject to change at the Combine/Pro Day)

Delano Howell - 5'10 6/8" , 195 lbs.
Kenny Tate - 6'3 6/8, 220 lbs.- Maryland - reported to be in the mid 4.7 for his 40.. Also moved to LB this season
Robert Lester - 6'1 4/8 , 210 lbs - Alabama - Junior
Janzen Jackson -5'11 6/8, 190 lbs - Dismissed from Tennessee. HUGE Character issues..
TJ McDonald - 6'1 4/8, 205 lbs. - USC - Junior - Father is former NFLer Tim McDonald.
Mark Barron - 6'1 4/8, 218 lbs, - Alabama - Senior
Micah Hyde - 6'0 5/8, 185 lbs - Iowa - Junior
Kenny Vaccaro - 6'1, 215 lbs - Texas - Junior
Baccari Rambo - 5'11 6/8", 215 lbs - Georgia - Junior
George Iloka -6'3 3/8", 213 lbs - Boise St. - Senior
Harrison Smith - 6'1 6/8, 215 lbs - Notre Dame - Senior
Dexter McCoil - 6'1 `/8, 222 lbs - Tulsa - Junior

Anyone seen the following players?

Miami safeties:
Ray Ray Armstrong - Jr. - 6'3 6/8, 216 lbs
Vaughn Telemaque - Jr. - 6'1 3/8, 200 lbs

South Carolina:
Devontae Holloman - Jr. - 6'2 1/8, 232 lbs - supposedly runs in the mid 4.5 range..

Armstrong was suspended for the first four games. He made his return against Virginia Tech this week, but didn't play the whole game and looked a bit rusty from what I saw.

Anyone seen the following players?

Miami safeties:
Ray Ray Armstrong - Jr. - 6'3 6/8, 216 lbs
Vaughn Telemaque - Jr. - 6'1 3/8, 200 lbs

South Carolina:
Devontae Holloman - Jr. - 6'2 1/8, 232 lbs - supposedly runs in the mid 4.5 range..

Seen Miami quite a few times. Ray Ray gets the hype. I think it's because of his name. Telemaque seemed to make more plays in the games I saw. Not sure he's the FS type. Seems more like Chung. I think he even played a little olb there.

Armstrong was suspended for the first four games. He made his return against Virginia Tech this week, but didn't play the whole game and looked a bit rusty from what I saw.

What was the suspension for?

i wanted to bump this again because it's got lots of good info..

Who is the top of your board for Safety, now? Especially since we need at least one if not two..

i wanted to bump this again because it's got lots of good info..

Who is the top of your board for Safety, now? Especially since we need at least one if not two..

You're right about the two not one. Hopefully, we get a safety in free agency and one in the draft. I like the two from Bama, but man they seem like in the box safeties to me. A lot like Patrick Chung. We need a CF/FS type. The problem with those is that it's damn near impossible to watch them on tv because they are so far off of the LOS and we don't know what defense was called. TJ McDonald from USC has been touted as a FS type. If he can play the ball, I'd be fine with him. Some love him. A couple posters don't. USC's season is over. We'll be finding out soon if their talented juniors are staying or going; Barkley, Kalil, Nick Perry and McDonald. NEpatsdraft.com likes Kenny Vaccarro - Texas. Has him going to us in the 2nd in their recent mock. I looked for more info on him on cbssports and walter. He's not in their top 150. I watched the Texas/Texas A&m game Thanksgiving night. He made an excellent int. Covering Jeff Fuller on an out. Ball was off target. He had to go up and make a play on it. Nice catch right along the sideline and get a foot down. They play Baylor and their dynamic offense on Saturday. I'm real curious to see that matchup. Markelle Martin - Ok St gets a crack at OU's spread/hurry up Saturday night in their bedlam game. He seems more like a SS too.

At this point, I'm tempted to switch Edelman to FS, and let him battle it out with Ihedigbo, Barrett, and Moore for the starting job in 2012. And then I'd pass on the safety class this year in favor of the 2013 safety class, especially the guys who are sophomores this year and may enter the 2013 draft.

It's like what Belichick said back in April:
I try to take the player that you feel like is the best player. It's great to say, 'OK, we have a need at this position, so now we have a card to put up there in that spot.' But if that player isn't able to really fulfill that area or that position, then you're coming back here the next year looking for the same thing again.
And I'm not sure there's a safety in this coming draft who can "fulfill that position."

Sciz, if you don;t like the S's in the draft, who are the FA's that will be available. We will certainly have enough the cap room to get one of the 3 best. Is there anyone who is realistically available. Word is that the Skins will franchize Landry

there is a young man from arkansas who is pretty good...pretty, pretty, pretty good. I forgot his name. Tramaine Thomas.

Anywho, about the right size, lots of experience and nfldraftscout has him as a "riser". Well hello there!

Sciz, if you don;t like the S's in the draft, who are the FA's that will be available. We will certainly have enough the cap room to get one of the 3 best. Is there anyone who is realistically available. Word is that the Skins will franchize Landry

Its not like Landry could cover worth a damn anyway haha.

The only "top" guy I have any interest in is Dashon Goldson, and I have concerns about his mediocre play last year despite a pretty good season so far. After that, there are a bunch of guys who are 50/50 at best to end up being a starter, guys like Chris Harris, Michael Griffen (2x Pro Bowler who has been terrible this year), and even Meriweather himself.

Basically, I think next year's safeties are already on the roster. I really think converting Edelman might be the best way to find a new quality starting FS this offseason.

Edit: I just read this on another forum, so I don't know how accurate it is, but supposedly Goldson was offered a $25M/5yr contract, but held out for more money, and then by the time he wanted to take that, the best offer he could get was $1.2M/1yr. Fail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back