PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sadness re Browns WR Josh Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes Travis Benjamin an afterthought for them, I'm all for it. I know many people here think of him as a "short (5'10"), deep threat," but the guy is fast (4.36), can get open, and racks up YAC.

You could argue that his hands suck.... but rec/target would probably rise going from Manziel to Brady.

Beware of the guys that enjoy career years in contract years.

Gordon has failed 3 substance abuse tests in a relatively short time span. He cant drink alcohol.

The odds say that he will be caught again.

thanks for the edited title; thought it was about gordon edes at first

Isn't he back for like dirt cheap? Hell keep him then

They've waited this long without cutting him, so I think they'll hold onto him. I also can't see how BB would give up a second without a first and be ok not drafting until around pick 90. Should have some nice comp picks though, so maybe they take those and move them. I don't think it's a good fit though.

Chandler Jones for Gordon and a 4th
Or Grap for Gordon and a third

Chandler Jones for Gordon and a 4th
Or Grap for Gordon and a third
You're a WR junkie but this is actually the year I would advocate for one. Jules and 'Dola are heading towards the wrong side of 30, LaFell was great in '14, Dobson showed promise in '13. Hoping Lafell will bounce back but he really nosedived down the stretch and who knows if he's going to be %100 by camp. Dobson is likely a goner. If 'Dola doesn't "restructure" again he might not be around, especially if they really like Harper. Chandler was a disappointment.

I think an infusion to the receiving core may be in order this time around. Gordon ain't happening, but I'm on board with Tom getting a shiny new toy or three.

I still think a 3rd rounder for Gordon needs to happen.

Pretend that 3rd rounder would otherwise be used to draft a WR.

That WR will: A) not be expected to do much in this offense until year 2 or 3, therefore we only get a 1-2 year window of [potential] top-level play for cheap... and B) that WR will carry the risk of being yet another bust, given BB's history of drafting WRs.

Josh Gordon: A) will give you 1-2 years of top-level play for cheap (1 or 2 seasons depends if he wins his grievance on how many seasons he's accrued, which will affect whether he becomes a FA after the 2016 season, or after 2017 season) ... but, B) will carry the risk of being suspended indefinitely for alcohol/weed.

I think a 3rd rounder for him would be fair, especially if the Browns don't think they'll re-sign him (I doubt he wants to stay there). I also feel like the change of scenery once going from a messy organization to a first-class one like the Patriots would keep Gordon on his P's and Q's and would be enough incentive to stay clean. Especially while playing alongside his favorite QB.

Last edited:
Gordon's cheap, young, and a superstar. The Browns would have to be insane to trade him for anything other than a blockbuster package. He's playing in Cleveland this year. This isn't Madden, folks.

Gordon's cheap, young, and a superstar. The Browns would have to be insane to trade him for anything other than a blockbuster package. He's playing in Cleveland this year. This isn't Madden, folks.

It would definitely not take a "blockbuster package" to trade for Gordon... Actually, only in Madden it would, because I doubt it factors in Gordon's situation.

It would definitely not take a "blockbuster package" to trade for Gordon... Actually, only in Madden it would, because I doubt it factors in Gordon's situation.

I'm thinking that Josh Gordon was nothing more than this year's Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald fantasy.

The Browns drafted him in the 2nd round and he's proven to be one helluva dangerous weapon who is still under the confines of a cheap, rookie contract. What kind of motivation would they have to trade him?

I couldn't imagine any scenario where they'd accept less than what they paid for him (in draft value), and I'd have to imagine that they may even want something more in terms of a 2nd rounder + another selection or player. I would think that's where primetime gets the idea of a "blockbuster package," as opposed to some of the ideas of a straight up 3rd/4th rounder, which would be seen as pennies on the dollar.

Hopefully Goodell dies before the draft, the Pats get the 1 back, and a second and forth become more palatable. I'm also still ok with not getting the picks back in the above situation.

They didn't. He was a supplemental draft pick.

They used a 2nd round pick on him in the supplemental draft. He is, for all intents and purposes, a 2nd round draft pick.

I doubt a 2nd and a 4th would net you Josh Gordon, but it's much closer to what a package might look like than a 3rd alone. And even that's a very hefty price to pay and one the Patriots absolutely can't afford.

They didn't. He was a supplemental draft pick.

I think we all know that Gordon came via the supplemental draft...

The point is that they gave up a 2nd round pick to get him. I'm not sure what difference it would make to anyone whether that 2nd round pick came in the spring or summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes