PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade rumors resurface, hours before draft begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..lot of respect for how cassel and team played that yr. wont take anything away but that was team talented in a lot of other positions and played one of the easiest schedules AFC west and NFC West.

I have a lot of respect for Belichick and the Patriots.

We lose Brady and go 11-5.

Colts lose Manning and go 2-14.

(And get rewarded for their incompetence and franchise mismanagement with Andrew Luck and the first pick of every round).

And it is still my strong opinion that 12 years of picking so late/last in every round has a cumulative, insidiously detrimental affect on a teams ability to replace key personnel.

Personally, I think the Superbowl winner should get the 1st pick of the 1st round and the loser, the 2nd pick of the 1st round. Let the winners reap the rewards.

/rant off

(And get rewarded for their incompetence and franchise mismanagement with Andrew Luck and the first pick of every round).
Well, the owner and some of the players did. The GM and coaches got fired because of it.

I can see the Browns trading down and trying to get below 16ish to be able to give NE the first and a 2 next year if they can't get there i think they will give up a 1 next year to get him.

and to those that say "he's never played a game" the redskins (i know) gave up 2 1st for RG3 before he threw a NFL snap

So? Winning either one of the other two would have put them in the playoffs, *and* it took nearly every single game those last few weeks going the wrong way for the Patriots to miss the playoffs.
Statistical anomalies are anomalies because they are irregular or unusual. 11-5 teams missing the playoffs are unusual. Deus can spin it whatever way he likes but I was impressed with the team reaching that record with a back up QB who hadn't started since High School. The Dolphins proved that by having their butts handed to them by Baltimore in the 2008/2009 playoffs and their recent W-L records.

I can see the Browns trading down and trying to get below 16ish to be able to give NE the first and a 2 next year if they can't get there i think they will give up a 1 next year to get him.

and to those that say "he's never played a game" the redskins (i know) gave up 2 1st for RG3 before he threw a NFL snap

:rofl:

a 1st and 2nd for Mallet?

Dumbest argument I hear in regards to Mallett. Would of been a first round guy sans the drug issue, has been a good citizen on the model franchise, learning how to be a pro by the best in the business. How that doesn't translate to a first or a high 2nd in a weak QB draft in some people's mind is lost on me.

Dumbest argument I hear in regards to Mallett. Would of been a first round guy sans the drug issue, has been a good citizen on the model franchise, learning how to be a pro by the best in the business. How that doesn't translate to a first or a high 2nd in a weak QB draft in some people's mind is lost on me.

on paper this should make sense, but I can see two potential problems with it:

1) the narrative about his drug use/off field stuff may not have been what actually dropped his stock so much as legitimate questions about his actual skill. Whenever there's something like that the media is going to hone in on it to the exclusion of everything else. of course when the Pats take him the local media runs with the "#1 QB draft grade" narrative so that becomes historical fact, but a lot of teams passed on him who needed QBs.

2) He hasn't gotten that many actual game opportunities, even in preseason, and when he has he hasn't been all that great. Sure he's had a lot of NFL practice time with the second string, I think we might overrate that a bit in terms of development, or rather, other teams might not think as much of it as we do. i certainly think Cassel's "development" mostly took place during the 2008 season.

People here like to pretend that there were no questions about his game on the field. That's just not true.

People here like to pretend that there were no questions about his game on the field. That's just not true.
There's questions about every draft pick going into the NFL.

I think the Pats not wanting to pay $2 million to Brian Hoyer had as much to to do with him getting cut.

Also they have Brady through 2017 and this would be the peak time to trade Mallett. As next year is his last year of his rookie deal so they probably wouldn't get offered more than a 4th rounder as whatever team could just wait the season and go after him in free agency.

And a roster slot. Exchanging Mallettt for a rookie would mean we have to go back to three QBs for a year.

Not happening now......

Unless its for a 2014 1st.
Perhaps BB would prefer it that way anyway

And a roster slot. Exchanging Mallettt for a rookie would mean we have to go back to three QBs for a year.

Brian Hoyer disagrees.

Mallet has been "learning" an offense that throws 80% of its passes 15 yards or less inside the numbers...why would anyo trade a first for that when see how that offense has fail in the playoffs every season?

The Vikings need to trade a future pick for Mallett. They're loading up on picks, but still don't have a QB I'd trust.

You have quite an eye for quarterbacking talent.

It's true. I do. Mallett won't ever see any significant PT in the NFL. He may get a shot, but he'll blow it.

Tough to imagine a Mallett trade now until teams see who's available in Round 2 and beyond.

If its happens, it could be negotiated overnight, or even after the draft.

on paper this should make sense, but I can see two potential problems with it:

1) the narrative about his drug use/off field stuff may not have been what actually dropped his stock so much as legitimate questions about his actual skill. Whenever there's something like that the media is going to hone in on it to the exclusion of everything else. of course when the Pats take him the local media runs with the "#1 QB draft grade" narrative so that becomes historical fact, but a lot of teams passed on him who needed QBs.

2) He hasn't gotten that many actual game opportunities, even in preseason, and when he has he hasn't been all that great. Sure he's had a lot of NFL practice time with the second string, I think we might overrate that a bit in terms of development, or rather, other teams might not think as much of it as we do. i certainly think Cassel's "development" mostly took place during the 2008 season.

... i certainly think Cassel's "development" mostly took place during the 2008 season

shows that you nothing at all. Cassell proved himself before the 2008 preseason. He did so well that BB put him through a final POISE test in preseason 2008. He purposely gave him an OL full of reserves and a receiving corps of nobodies to see how he handled adversity.

Belichick wouldn't have done that if Cassell hadn't ALREADY proved himself to BB in practices, and running the Scout team.

Exactly what Mallett has done over the past two seasons. BB doesn't say much, you have to watch his actions,instead. He did cut Hoyer and BB didn't sign any one else to backup Brady. The only guy that Belichick promoted to backup after one season, was a fellow named Tom B, as I recall.

He has awarded Mallett a half dozen black jerseys for superb scout team work. Mallett has not been caught smoking dope, nor involved in off the field DUIs. etc. No one ever questioned Mallett's physical qualifications. He has a rocket arm perhaps the strongest in the NFL, as measurd by the velocity he can generate. This was done in a pre-draft test by a scouting group.

Even if you did trade hiim you would than have to fill the backup QB role,or din't you htink fo that? Probably with tthe same draft pick merely to obtain a much poorer QB.

Shocked simply shocked that we didn't get a 1st for The Hammer, especially swapping #1s for the #6 pick as some speculated.

:rofl:

a 1st and 2nd for Mallet?

Seriously. Getting a second next year would be a major coup. Maybe a 1st in 2020 is achievable.

They have a QB they drafted at 22 last year on the roster. This whole line of thinking is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back