PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade rumors resurface, hours before draft begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
After saying that he had heard from league sources that some teams had inquired about Ryan Mallett, Nick Underhill then backed off a bit yesterday, saying CBA restrictions could make that trade difficult.

Source: CBA restrictions make Ryan Mallett trade unlikely | masslive.com

But a provision in the new collective bargaining agreement that bars rookies from renegotiating their contract until after three years makes it unlikely that the first scenario will happen, according to a league source.

Prior to the 2011 CBA, if a team wanted to trade for Mallett, New England would sign him to a new contract and then ship him off in exchange for draft picks. But since it is impossible to make a sign-and-trade deal, teams have been reluctant to meet the Patriots' asking price, which is believed to be a first- or second-round pick.

Now if the price were lower, a team may be more willing to gamble on both Mallett's future (he's completed one pass in a regular-season game) and its ability to retain him if he performs well, which wouldn't be all that difficult for the acquiring team. If Mallett were for some reason unwilling to sign an extension, the team could keep him beyond 2014 as a restricted free agent and, if his performance warranted its use, the franchise tag.

But there are questions about the Patriots' motivation to make a deal, even though their leverage will continue to evaporate as he gets close to the end of his rookie contract. If New England were to trade Mallett, who has a base salary of $642,984 in 2013, it may need to spend considerably more to obtain another backup quarterback, assuming it isn't comfortable with Mike Kafka in that role. Having to make a corresponding move, according to the source, could be a factor in the team's asking price.​

Greg Bedard backs up Underhill's report of interest in Mallett:

QB Ryan Mallett in play for trade - Extra Points - Boston.com

Multiple teams have called the Patriots this week about a potential trade for backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, according to three league sources.

Whether the Patriots will trade the 2011 third-round pick is the question. But all three sources said the odds are slightly stronger that Mallett is dealt than kept by the Patriots.

The Patriots have been heavily scouting quarterbacks in the leadup to the draft, and could very well select one during the draft.

The Patriots would like more than a third-round pick after developing Mallett for two years. It's likely a second this season or a first in '14 would close the deal.

The potential trading partners aren't yet known, but the Browns have long been favorites to land Mallett. Not only did Browns general manager Mike Lombardi gush about the trade on NFL Network, but behind the scenes, Lombardi pushed Bill Belichick to take Mallett.​

In the last few minutes Jeff Howe is reporting that the "Browns have called again about Ryan Mallett. The Patriots want at least a second-round pick in return., and Underhill now says that a "source says the Browns “really want Ryan. We’ll see.”

i absolutely believe that Browns would be willing to give up there 2nd rounder for him

Where are they going to get a second rounder though? Man I'd love some extra picks for Mallett he clearly isn't the successor time to get restock the draft cupboard.

If we could package Mallett and some of our picks for number 6 overall I would do it in a second :singing:

d%#*!@t your right. They dont have a 2nd, maybe a third plus?

i absolutely believe that Browns would be willing to give up there 2nd rounder for him

If they had one.

Interesting news that the Browns are negotiating a trade for Davone Bess. In light of them not having a 2nd and us saying that's the minimum we'd accept, could it be part of a 3 way trade: Cleveland trades 3rd + Bess for Mallett?

Aren't the Browns ridiculously thick on their D line right now? Anyone there worth taking plus a lower round pick?

Heck, anyone there worth taking for Mallett straight up?

Heck, anyone there really worth taking for Mallett and one of our lower picks?

If they had one.

Interesting news that the Browns are negotiating a trade for Davone Bess. In light of them not having a 2nd and us saying that's the minimum we'd accept, could it be part of a 3 way trade: Cleveland trades 3rd + Bess for Mallett?

a 3rd and Bess for mallett? MEH.

Ill pass

I'm not sold that this is really going to happen. But perhaps the Browns would do their 2013 3rd and 2014 2nd?

I could see the Browns' 2013 3rd and 2014 2nd getting it done. Only other step up from that would be like a 2013 6th and 2014 1st, which is probably pretty optimistic.

The Browns are likely to get the Dolphins' second rounder for Branden Albert. Also, the Browns are trying to trade down in the first round. They could have two second rounders by tomorrow. I don't think the second round compensation is an issue.

Albert is on the Chiefs.

A trade down for extra picks would do the trick.

I bet the browns trade down to acquire a 2nd rounder to trade for mallett OR they will trade down into the late round of the first and give the Patriots a late first rounder. Then the Patriots will take that and trade it down for more picks. Then trade it down for more picks, then trade it down for more picks, then trade it down for picks next year, then next year then next year. ;)

Albert is on the Chiefs.

A trade down for extra picks would do the trick.

Yeah, my bad. Don't know what I am thinking today. I guess I associate all bad mid west teams with current or former ties to Belichick as the same thing.

Yeah, my bad. Don't know what I am thinking today. I guess I associate all bad mid west teams with current or former ties to Belichick as the same thing.

Hah! No worries.

I could see the Browns' 2013 3rd and 2014 2nd getting it done. Only other step up from that would be like a 2013 6th and 2014 1st, which is probably pretty optimistic.

This makes no sense, do we use the 3rd on a QB ?

This makes no sense, do we use the 3rd on a QB ?
They could if they want a guy like Glennon (who Bedard specifically mentioned) or Bray, both guys with big arms but big question marks. They could do that with the goal of trading that new backup for higher picks in a few years, just like Mallett.

Or maybe they think Kafka can be the #2. I don't know.

I would be surprised if this happens. Not sure why people are so eager to trade Mallet for picks and acquire yet another unproven QB who then has to show he can master our complicated offense. The fact that Hoyer was promptly cut last season shows that BB had confidence in Mallett. Not sure why BB would be in a hurry to lather, rinse, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes