PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade rumors resurface, hours before draft begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocked simply shocked that we didn't get a 1st for The Hammer, especially swapping #1s for the #6 pick as some speculated.

"Those deals are still alive. They'll just be backdated. He's worth the #1 pick in the draft, and more!"

Sincerely,
Delusional Mallett groupies

It looks like the Pats might have their eye on a mid-late round developmental QB...whose name should have been blurred but wasn't in the "Inside the draft" segment with Mike Reiss.....Look over BB's shoulder at the 0:27 mark...The only player I can think of with that last name is a projected 4th round QB......

Patriots Today - Inside the draft room

"Those deals are still alive. They'll just be backdated. He's worth the #1 pick in the draft, and more!"

Sincerely,
Delusional Mallett groupies

If freaking EJ Manuel is worth a high 1st rd pick to the Bills, Mallet is easily worth a high 2nd. He would be the best QB in this draft class.

If freaking EJ Manuel is worth a high 1st rd pick to the Bills, Mallet is easily worth a high 2nd. He would be the best QB in this draft class.

EJ Manuel isn't worth a high 1st round pick.

If teams agreed with you, one of them would have surrendered their first round pick in a weak draft. You're welcome to think what you want, but the reality is that Mallett was a 3rd round pick when taken, was taken behind the likes of Blaine Gabbert, and has done nothing to convince teams that giving the Patriots a deal they'd be happy with is the way to go.

It looks like the Pats might have their eye on a mid-late round developmental QB...whose name should have been blurred but wasn't in the "Inside the draft" segment with Mike Reiss.....Look over BB's shoulder at the 0:27 mark...The only player I can think of with that last name is a projected 4th round QB......

I see "DE Scott"

which would be defensive end Tremayne Scott from Ohio U

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1552015-tremayne-scott-nfl-draft-2013-pro-potential-projections

generally seen as an UDFA

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631663/tremayne-scott

If teams agreed with you, one of them would have surrendered their first round pick in a weak draft. You're welcome to think what you want, but the reality is that Mallett was a 3rd round pick when taken, was taken behind the likes of Blaine Gabbert, and has done nothing to convince teams that giving the Patriots a deal they'd be happy with is the way to go.

Mallett dropped because off the field issues. After two years of keeping his nose clean, many teams who dropped him because of it might have a different view.

I never thought Mallett would be traded before tonight. If a team is hot on Mallett, we won't see them act until they are on the clock. Smith and Nassib dropping into the second round slows the process a bit because teams may wait until one or both to be snapped up to jump on Mallett.

I am not betting that Mallett will get traded, but if he was entering the draft this year he would most likely be the top rated QB.

Mallett dropped because off the field issues. After two years of keeping his nose clean, many teams who dropped him because of it might have a different view.

I never thought Mallett would be traded before tonight. If a team is hot on Mallett, we won't see them act until they are on the clock. Smith and Nassib dropping into the second round slows the process a bit because teams may wait until one or both to be snapped up to jump on Mallett.

I am not betting that Mallett will get traded, but if he was entering the draft this year he would most likely be the top rated QB.

Mallett dropped because of both off-the-field and on-the-field issues.

Is that what your league contacts told you? It's nice to have such an insider posting on the board.

Mostly because of his off the field issues though. He didn't have any more flaws in his game than several guys who were taken above him. It was his off the field issues that dropped him to the third. He probably would have been a second round pick (possibly a low first) without them.

Compared to this year's QB class though, he is an absolute stud. But then again, I don't know if I would draft any of these guys from this year's QB class before the mid to late second.

Mostly because of his off the field issues though. He didn't have any more flaws in his game than several guys who were taken above him. It was his off the field issues that dropped him to the third. He probably would have been a second round pick (possibly a low first) without them.

Compared to this year's QB class though, he is an absolute stud. But then again, I don't know if I would draft any of these guys from this year's QB class before the mid to late second.

I don't know what the percentage breakdown was. I just know that his on-the-field game wasn't clean, and we've seen that in his limited game play. Would he have gone in round one this year? I don't know but, unless you think BB turned down a Mallett for first round pick deal this year, no team decided that he was worth the equivalent in trade.

I don't know what the percentage breakdown was. I just know that his on-the-field game wasn't clean, and we've seen that in his limited game play. Would he have gone in round one this year? I don't know but, unless you think BB turned down a Mallett for first round pick deal this year, no team decided that he was worth the equivalent in trade.

The fact that Ryan Mallet on a 1 year deal (and needing to be paid next year) isn't worth a first round pick this year to any teams doesn't mean that a Rookie Ryan Mallet coming into the draft this year wouldn't be.

The fact that Ryan Mallet on a 1 year deal (and needing to be paid next year) isn't worth a first round pick this year to any teams doesn't mean that a Rookie Ryan Mallet coming into the draft this year wouldn't be.

That's the biggest obstacle in trading him. Not only does he have one year left on his deal, the CBA doesn't let the Pats or any team who would trade for him to give him an extension this year.

I would say the biggest obstacle in trading Mallet is that he hasn't shown anything to be considered valuable except a big arm. He is slow to make decisions, his touch has been questionable, his accuracy inconsistent. I really do not understand why people think the Patriots should get anything more than a 3rd rounder....and at that price, might as well keep him as a backup.

Teams do not give up a 2nd round pick for a guy to backup their starter. Now certain, perhaps if Brady went down, the Patriots could coach Mallet up for a year and remain competitive, but how much hope would the Browns have of turning Mallet into a starter? I would say not much hope at all.

:confused:

I posted about the reasons he fell in his draft year, stating that there were on field as well as off field issues. I posted about teams not thinking he was worth a first this year, unless BB turned down such an offer without us hearing about it. I didn't make a claim about where he'd have been drafted this year if he were coming out as a rookie, specifically stating "Would he have gone in round one this year? I don't know".

Given that, I don't really see the relevance of your post as a response to mine.

:deadhorse: I look forward to closing this thread tomorrow.:D

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett trade rumors resurface, hours before draft begins

That's the biggest obstacle in trading him. Not only does he have one year left on his deal, the CBA doesn't let the Pats or any team who would trade for him to give him an extension this year.

Logically that doesn't make sense..If he goes somewhere and lights it up and doesnt want to extend in 2014..the team can always franchise him.

:deadhorse: I look forward to closing this thread tomorrow.:D

Hah! You wish! We're gonna trade him for a 4th rounder! Oooh yeah! And when the 4th round passes, we're gonna trade him for a 5th! Just you see! JUST YOU SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back