PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade rumors resurface, hours before draft begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put me down as a person who thinks some Patriots fans are severely undervaluing Mallet. I watched so much of him in college. The kid is the real deal when it comes to arm strength and touch, and believe it or not, he has some athleticism. What remains to be seen is his command of the pocket and his command of the offense--but those questions go for every single draftable QB out there.

His college stats are insane, better than any draftable QB's available in the 2013 draft.

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Overall 552 955 57.8 8385 8.8 9.1 69 24 150.4

A TD to Int ratio of 2.875.

If the Patriots can get a 2nd round pick for a QB whose entire regular season NFL experience consists of walking into a blowout and immediately throwing a terrible pick.

What are you talking about? He hit Visanthe Shiancoe right on the money. Not his fault he didn't catch it. Shiancoe got cut because of that.

Texans defense, INT - NFL Videos

It was all about potential the year he was drafted. He went in the 3rd round. This year, it's all about panic over a lousy QB class in a year where the Patriots need draft picks. Posters who are saying things like "There's no way I'd take less than a first round pick" aren't really thinking things through. According to reports, even the Patriots initial asking price isn't that high. When a notoriously hard dealing team is lowballing compared to you, that should be a definite tip that you might be over the top.

He is still all potential because he hasn't seen the field. He only went in the third because of the off field issues. If it wasn't for that he is a top 5 pick. Asking a high 2nd or low 1st isn't really crazy.

Yeah I mean you're clearly a terrible poster but even you can't be this dumb

ok....let's play......when was the last rumor?

how many times has he been heard from since he's been here? in a negative way, anyway?

how did he play in college? in what conference? where was the guy who compiled similar results in that same conference drafted?

you'd have to be a complete idiot to still be buying into the rumors of his days in Michigan

tell me more about the terrible pick.......

Why would the CBA deal make it unlikely?

He is signed through 2014. Which means whatever team trades for him has him under his rookie deal for the next two years and has those two seasons to extend him

It appears the rationale is that they would be unable to extend him this year; then when the player is in the final year of his contract, he would be that much more likely to either go ahead and become a agent, or the team would have less leverage if they attempted to re-sign him.

I do agree with you that the inability to extend him this season shouldn't be a deal killer, or even have much of any weight on a team's decision to make the trade.

Last edited:
Was the season over in 2008 ? No, the Pats went 11-5, and were only the 2nd team in 30 years to have an 11 win season and not make the playoffs.

The season was definitely over. The fact that we reached 11 wins is more or less of a testement to how easy the schedule was that year.

You mean that sheer number: 1

1. The draft is not top heavy and is instead deep.

2. Moving Mallett for a 2nd gives you a first, two seconds, and a third in a deep draft. That's enough to reload at WR, DE, and S.

3. After moving Mallett, you could also trade down to acquire yet another high 2nd rounder and a 3rd, giving you three 2nd's and a 3rd in a deep draft.

Please explain to me again how you could only fill one need with that trade? Further, Andy, what are some prospects that you've had your eye on?

Fair enough. I thought he threw it too hard and it bounced off Shiancoe's hands, but I was apparently wrong.

the throw was EXACTLY what it was supposed to be.....

any more silliness?

That's nearly idiotic given the sheer number of needs that can be filled on this team for even acquiring a second rounder...
No comment. It's better that way.

The season was definitely over. The fact that we reached 11 wins is more or less of a testement to how easy the schedule was that year.

this makes no sense.......they beat the NFC champions by 40 in week 16

ok....let's play......when was the last rumor?

how many times has he been heard from since he's been here? in a negative way, anyway?

how did he play in college? in what conference? where was the guy who compiled similar results in that same conference drafted?

you'd have to be a complete idiot to still be buying into the rumors of his days in Michigan

tell me more about the terrible pick.......

The Patriots keep a pretty tight lid on anything that happens in the locker room, so you wouldn't hear anything even if he was an issue until after he leaves (see Brandon Lloyd).

Those were rumors from both Michigan and Arkansas, and they clearly scared NFL GMs who have a lot more information than we do. It's only been two years since that, and he's done nothing on the field but throw an interception.

The Patriots keep a pretty tight lid on anything that happens in the locker room, so you wouldn't hear anything even if he was an issue until after he leaves (see Brandon Lloyd).

Those were rumors from both Michigan and Arkansas, and they clearly scared NFL GMs who have a lot more information than we do. It's only been two years since that, and he's done nothing on the field but throw an interception.

so basically you're just guessing........OK, thanks

It's only been two years since that, and he's done nothing on the field but throw an interception.
He's done enough on the practice field and in meetings that Belichick cut the previous backup to promote Mallett to the backup on a playoff team. That speaks for itself.

Yes, IllegalContact, you are expecting cold facts in this thread that is based entirely on a rumor

LOL.....much better to just throw dog poop at the walls like you do

He's done enough on the practice field and in meetings that Belichick cut the previous backup to promote Mallett to the backup on a playoff team. That speaks for itself.

No it doesn't. That presupposes that other teams are going to make evaluations of a player based entirely upon Bill Belichick's evaluation of a player and the shaky assumption that Mallett has improved since he was drafted, when teams passed on him until the end of the 3rd round.

And since Belichick's evaluation of the backup quarterback spot may as well be 'if we lose Tom Brady, we're screwed (unless we happen to play one of the easiest schedules in NFL history but even then, really)' then I'm not really certain that's a valid claim at all. If a team is willing to trade a 2nd round pick for Mallett, that's plain robbery.

this makes no sense.......they beat the NFC champions by 40 in week 16

For one, the Cards were in a very bad slump at that point. For another, that team never got off the bus. It had been literally years since they had played a snow game. The Pats are nearly invinceable in them.

i absolutely believe that Browns would be willing to give up there 2nd rounder for him

Boy Goodell would really fine their asses off seeing as how they don't have a 2nd to trade. But then maybe he'd let it stand seeing it was the Patriots who got screwed.

I'd still take their 3rd plus a conditional 2014 2nd or 3rd.

upstater1 said:
Put me down as a person who thinks some Patriots fans are severely undervaluing Mallet. I watched so much of him in college. The kid is the real deal when it comes to arm strength and touch, and believe it or not, he has some athleticism. What remains to be seen is his command of the pocket and his command of the offense--but those questions go for every single draftable QB out there.

Take a look at some notable recent trades for young (usually backup) QBs:
09: Charlie Whitehurst - SEA sent 3rd Rd pick to SD
09: Matt Cassell - KC sent 2nd Rd pick to NE
07: Matt Schaub - HOU sent 2007 2nd Rd and 2008 2nd Rd picks to ATL

Agreed that there is no reason the Pats should be willing to take any less than a 2nd Rd pick for Mallett. I mean Charlie Whitehurst netted SD a 3rd round pick. Let me repeat that, Charlie Whitehurst netted SD a 3rd round pick, and he never had the potential (arm strength, size, etc.) Mallett has. Couple the potential with the lack of top QB prospects in the draft this year (with Mallet being recognized by many as a better prospect) and the very favorable deal for two more years, and you have a more intriguing prospect than any of the guys mentioned above. If no team is willing to come near the price the Patriots are looking for, then at worst, the Patriots can just hold on to Mallet at a cheap price and try to trade him again next year. Plus who knows, he may even have a chance to prove himself in a preseason game, late season meaningless game, or a blow out win.

Jim Sorgi/Curtis Painter should have garnered a 2nd rounder. After all, the Colts were willing to go into the playoffs with him as Peyton Manning's backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes