PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

I think the Patriots will be waiting a very very long time for a guy who is "the next Brady".

I second that. They looked for 41 years before they tripped across Brady...

Other QBs aren't available, and won't be soon? How do you know who they will or won't be able to get with any picks gotten from trading Mallett?

You do know that BB basically put Mallett on the trading block before the last draft and got no takers? How much faith does BB have in him if he's so willing to let him go?

No, I don't know that at all. All I know is that Belichick has rebuffed all proposals inside and from outside to trade Mallett. When and If Mallett is tried and found wanting after a year as a starter, the case may be different. Meanwhile I DO know that Belichick promoted him over Hoyer to be the backup after his rookie year, when he had no preseason Training Camp and barely knew the playbook.

This offseason will tell us how much Mallett has improved since last year. But with such flux going on right now at WR, don't be surprised to see Brady take a lot more reps of him than normal this offseason.

I like Mallett, he had an unsettled start to his Pats career but seems to have settled in and got with the programme since then. God forbid if anything happens to Brady, but if it did, I think Mallett could do a solid job.

He strikes me as the kinda guy that would improve once he gets a couple of games under his belt. Right now I'm happy to see him sit behind Brady for a few more years, keep learning from the master and then step up when it's his time.

RE: a possible future trade? Last year was really his first proper preseason. So I think teams are holding off on making a judgement on him, until after this preseason. Which makes good business sense.

Predicting Brady's longevity is an impossible task. The hunger, passion and love of the game still burns from his eyes. And If anyone could break the oldest playing record for a QB, then it will be him. Keeping healthy and avoiding injury will obviously be key. But if he adds a fourth ring between now and 40? Then I think he would more than happy to ride off into the sunset.

The timeline doesn't work for him being a starting QB in New England, unless something catastrophic happens. He's most likely going to end up as trade bait somewhere here in the near future, but not if Tebow i going to be the guy to move up to first backup.

I see Mallett going somewhere like Cleveland and trying to make something of himself there.

And we'd be extremely fortunate to get "another Brady" on the heels of the GOAT. The 49ers had that kind of luck with Young and Green Bay with Rodgers (and Colts with the aptly named Luck) but, for the most part, once a HOF QB rides into the sunset, it's a little while before the next franchise guy strolls through the door.

49ers post Young
Cowboys post Staubach
Cowboys post Aikman
Steelers post Bradshaw
Giants post Simms
Bills post Kelly

All had pretty long droughts before they found their guy. Enjoy the ride now. There's no guarantees post Brady.

No, I don't know that at all. All I know is that Belichick has rebuffed all proposals inside and from outside to trade Mallett. When and If Mallett is tried and found wanting after a year as a starter, the case may be different. Meanwhile I DO know that Belichick promoted him over Hoyer to be the backup after his rookie year, when he had no preseason Training Camp and barely knew the playbook.

Before the draft the Pats said that they would trade him for anything less than a 2nd round pick and got no takers, that means no other team was willing to pay the price but it's especially important to note that they were willing to part with him if the price was met.

Assuming Brady is not injured, I expect he wil lbe sharing the QB duties in 2015 as the transition begins. It will probably be a condition on whether he resigns. Otherwise they will likely have to franchise/transition him to keep him.

Then it will be sink or swim...

Can you find any past example of two NFL QBs sharing playing time actually working out?

Assuming Brady is not injured, I expect he wil lbe sharing the QB duties in 2015 as the transition begins. It will probably be a condition on whether he resigns. Otherwise they will likely have to franchise/transition him to keep him.

Then it will be sink or swim...

Franchise him ? Unless I'm mistaken, "franchise tag" doesn't care whether you are a starter or a backup, it's rated by just the position. Last I heard, franchise tag for a QB is up over $20 mil. I don't see that happening.

Again, Mallet has bad luck with the timing. Brady will be here for too long. Mallet will be dealt next year if the Pats can get a good offer on him. If not, he walks the next year in FA. They'll have the 2014 and 2015 drafts to try and find a successor to Brady.

Before the draft the Pats said that they would trade him for anything less than a 2nd round pick and got no takers, that means no other team was willing to pay the price but it's especially important to note that they were willing to part with him if the price was met.

The Patriots didn't say that. Its an unsupported rumor. No more than that.

Mallett has made great strides based on what I've seen of him in camp. I believe that improvement will be on full display this pre-season. All the physical tools are there, he just needs to show that he can manage his pocket presence and show that he can make the correct reads against the defense he's looking at. I believe he will show vast improvement in these areas. Once he figures out the mental part during game conditions, look out. This kid can see the entire field with his height and can put the ball anywhere he wants with his arm strength.

I don't want to lose him. I hope he shows enough to force the Pats to offer a serious extension.

Can you find any past example of two NFL QBs sharing playing time actually working out?

Sure.

The Redskins had Sonny Jurgenson, nearing the end; and the other guy Billy Kilmer who could barely compete a pass, who started and won Superbowls.

Have you forgotten Jack Kemp when he was nearing the end in the mid 60s, after winning a couple of AFC crowns, and Daryl Lamonica, "the Mad Bomber"? Eventually Lamonica went to the Raiders.

The Giants of the late 50 and early 60s and Charlie Connerly and YA Tittle as one was slowly phased out.

I have purposely looked for examples of an elderly Star, and a rising youngster rather than merely two QBs both vying for the team leadership, like Bledsoe and Brady, Montana and Young etc.

Sure.

The Redskins had Sonny Jurgenson, nearing the end; and the other guy Billy Kilmer who could barely compete a pass, who started and won Superbowls.

Have you forgotten Jack Kemp when he was nearing the end in the mid 60s, after winning a couple of AFC crowns, and Daryl Lamonica, "the Mad Bomber"? Eventually Lamonica went to the Raiders.

The Giants of the late 50 and early 60s and Charlie Connerly and YA Tittle as one was slowly phased out.

I have purposely looked for examples of an elderly Star, and a rising youngster rather than merely two QBs both vying for the team leadership, like Bledsoe and Brady, Montana and Young etc.
So how about a recent example, perhaps specifically within the salary cap era? The cap hits associated with keeping two high quality QBs both off their rookie contracts is the biggest problem I see with this.

I also wouldn't really count Brady and Bledsoe, as they only shared time with each other in the case of two injuries, and Bledsoe was gone the next offseason.

Sure.

Ok, but TFB isn't on the decline like those guys, he's far and away the best QB on the team, and the Brady/Bledsoe Montana/Young situations the older QB was jettisoned once it became apparent the younger one was better.

So, unless we witness a decline in Brady or a serious injury I'm not sure what we gain with Mallett. He's going to want a shot at a starting job, and if that's not possible here it'll take big money to keep him on the bench, money that could be better spent on players that will actually contribute to a SB victory.

Franchise him ? Unless I'm mistaken, "franchise tag" doesn't care whether you are a starter or a backup, it's rated by just the position. Last I heard, franchise tag for a QB is up over $20 mil. I don't see that happening.

Again, Mallet has bad luck with the timing. Brady will be here for too long. Mallet will be dealt next year if the Pats can get a good offer on him. If not, he walks the next year in FA. They'll have the 2014 and 2015 drafts to try and find a successor to Brady.

There are 2 tags exclusive and non exclusive, the exclusive one was $20,464,000 in 2012; the tag for a non exclusive was $14,896,000 in 2012. If the team was to franchise Mallett it would only be to trade ala Matt Cassel entering 2009's season so if that was the case they'd use non exclusive because if another team signed him they'd have to provide a 1st round draft choice which would be way better then we'd be getting in a trade in all likely hood.

There are 2 tags exclusive and non exclusive, the exclusive one was $20,464,000 in 2012; the tag for a non exclusive was $14,896,000 in 2012. If the team was to franchise Mallett it would only be to trade ala Matt Cassel entering 2009's season so if that was the case they'd use non exclusive because if another team signed him they'd have to provide a 1st round draft choice which would be way better then we'd be getting in a trade in all likely hood.

The problem with that scenario is if no one bit on a trade offer, we'd be stuck paying Ryan Mallett 15 million dollars for one season--so that isn't going to happen.

As much as people keep pinning their hopes on Mike Lombardi (and really--only Mike Lombardi) he went out and picked up Brian Hoyer in the offseason, which coupled with Weeden may end up satisfying him enough; although Weeden remains to be seen of course.

The main reason why so many keep clamoring for Lombardi to make a trade is due to his Dec. 2011 comments when he stated that "both Hoyer and Mallett could be starters in this league." Well...he went out and got Hoyer for peanuts, so that may end up saying something.

Mallett could in theory, attract interest from other parties if he really stepped up and made a name for himself, but that's yet to happen and even if it did I doubt he'd be able to bring a 2nd/3rd rd pick in trade compensation. Obviously his best chance is to prove himself, so he has his work cut out for him.

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

The problem with that scenario is if no one bit on a trade offer, we'd be stuck paying Ryan Mallett 15 million dollars for one season--so that isn't going to happen.

As much as people keep pinning their hopes on Mike Lombardi (and really--only Mike Lombardi) he went out and picked up Brian Hoyer in the offseason, which coupled with Weeden may end up satisfying him enough; although Weeden remains to be seen of course.

The main reason why so many keep clamoring for Lombardi to make a trade is due to his Dec. 2011 comments when he stated that "both Hoyer and Mallett could be starters in this league." Well...he went out and got Hoyer for peanuts, so that may end up saying something.

Mallett could in theory, attract interest from other parties if he really stepped up and made a name for himself, but that's yet to happen and even if it did I doubt he'd be able to bring a 2nd/3rd rd pick in trade compensation. Obviously his best chance is to prove himself, so he has his work cut out for him.

Oh I'm sorry if my post implied otherwise but I'm certainly not suggesting we do it, I'm just saying what it would cost and the only reason I could see us doing it.

I'll weigh in again, the Mallett delusion is growing.

-He still looks nervous and his decision making is way off, this will be noticeable in preseason. We will be welcomed by his 20 yard overthrows as well.

-No team thought of trading a 1st-2nd round pick for him in the worst QB class of the decade. No team will give up anything next year in arguably the best QB class of the decade.

-Mallett is not the successor to Brady. Mallett is not the successor to Brady. Mallett is not the successor to Brady.

The Brady successor is either a true freshman in college or a senior in HS.

You are daft if you think next years QB crop is any great shakes. It has a couple of big gangstas and a myriad of shrimps, like Johnny Football who is starting to behave like Ryan Leaf.

It is as barren as this past draft, and maybe worse.

I don't know what the 2015 crop looks like, and neither do you.

Sure.

Billy Kilmer never won a SB and was pretty much as old as Jurgensen and certainly not a young rising star, being a 10 year vet before going to the Redskins. Jurgensen didn't split the job either, he was replaced by Kilmer (28 and 59 passes in his first 2 years they were together) then played some the next 2 when Kilmer was injured or sucked and he came in in relief.
Also to point is that the year they went to the SB Jurgensen was not on the field in any playoff games.

Lamonica was Kemps backup, and started 4 games in 4 years, and pretty much sucked.

The example you are looking for is Craig Morton and Roger Staubach, who at one point were alternative every play. Ultimately it failed and was abandoned which led to the Cowboys finally getting to a SB

There is no way Mallett gets franchised. First we wouldn't pay 15mill for a backup, and second no team would ever trade for him for the right to pay him 15mill.
Mallet will get backup qb money, 2-3 mill a year, either here or more likely somewhere else where he has a chance to compete to get on the field.

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

There is no way Mallett gets franchised. First we wouldn't pay 15mill for a backup, and second no team would ever trade for him for the right to pay him 15mill.
Mallet will get backup qb money, 2-3 mill a year, either here or more likely somewhere else where he has a chance to compete to get on the field.

Please see post #175.

So the Patriots win the division and lose to the Broncos in the AFC Championship. Brady, as usual, plays lights out all year and the offense really gets on a roll the second half of the season as the young receivers really start to develop and Gronk is full health. The loss to the Broncs is 38-35 overtime @ Denver and the game ends with a Ridley fumble as the pats are driving... New rules, second possession of OT.

Meanwhile Jets are 5-11 and Geno has proven he is not the future after becoming the starter for the 0-3 Sanchez led Jets...

Offseason... Idzik calls... 2nd and a conditional 5th for Mallet... Yes or No?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back