PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

If DRC, a tall, athletic, young, starting CB and a second round Cardinal pick (aka a lower 1st round pick) can be traded for a Kevin Kolb then a solid pre-season from Mallett might reap a ransom.

We will see what kind of progress our tall, arm worthy, young QB has made in the next 3 weeks, I am excited to watch him this month.

I REALLY LIKE your plan. So would an Ostrich! Stick your head in the sand; and deny Reality.

OK, so purposely weakening the team and overspending on a guy who may suck is a good plan?
Reality is that a replacement is needed some day for Brady. To weaken the team hoping the Mallett is the answer makes no sense.
Draft a QB in the 1st round in 2015 and develop him for up to 2 years.

If Mallet sucks your plan quits on Bradys last years, hamstrings the team on the cap, and sets them back at least 3 years.

Hell we could draft a QB in the 3rd next year who may be better than Mallet. I'm certainly not looking forward to paying Brady like money to a guy who will not have played a meaningful snap of football in at least 4 years.But I guess I am missing the point that Ryan Mallet is the only QB who exists, and havent seen all that great play by him that everyone is raving about.

Re: Re: Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

I must be missing something.

There's not enough demand for him now to warrant a halfway decent draft pick with a very low salary.

Why exactly will teams change their minds, pay him $15 million and give us a 1st round pick?

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike Mallett. He's better than Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop, Damon Huard, Matt Guttierez and a long list of backup QBs many Patsfans today can't believe weren't traded for first round picks.

He's great to have as a backup - and who knows - perhaps if another team suffers a major QB injury he might still be traded.

But if he IS a future starting QB, I sure hope it's not for the Patriots, because I like the one we have signed relatively affordably for the next several years.

There WILL be a QB who follows Brady. I don't doubt Belichick gives that thought from time to time. But chances are that's NOT going to be the type of QB who is content to sit on the bench until he's 30. He'll be a competitor - like Brady was.

I think you're missing the fact that I was simply clarifying the cost associated with the franchise tag because a previous poster stated that it would cost $20 mil to keep him. I posted that it wouldn't because we'd do it as non exclusive if the .01% chance ever came true that we did franchise him, because the franchise compensation would be likely better than any trade.

Teams that will probably need QBs, and would seem likely to be the most ready to make moves, by next season:

Cleveland
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Minnesota
Arizona (if Palmer craps out)

That's really about it.

For all the hopes/dreams/fantasies about Mallett, the odds are that he's not good enough to bring back a lot, that he is what we've seen him to be (incredibly mediocre), and that there's not going to be a big market for him.

If DRC, a tall, athletic, young, starting CB and a second round Cardinal pick (aka a lower 1st round pick) can be traded for a Kevin Kolb then a solid pre-season from Mallett might reap a ransom.

DRC is soft as Charmin, and the Cardinals knew it. Kolb was also in Philly for 4 seasons and had 19 appearances and 7 starts for GMs to look at, so I'm not sure that your example cuts much ice.

DRC is soft as Charmin, and the Cardinals knew it, so I'm not sure that your example cuts much ice.

DRC is a starting caliber, legitimate NFL CB. DRC will have a great season for the Broncos. This and what turned out to be a top of Round 2 draft pick is what the stupid Cardinals gave up for All World Kevin Kolb who got jettisoned from Arizona after failing miserably. Has to go down as one of the stupidest trades in NFL history.

I REALLY LIKE your plan. So would an Ostrich! Stick your head in the sand; and deny Reality.

That's not an argument, just claiming the other person is wrong doesn't make it so.

Right now TFB is far and away superior to Mallett, so why would you take resources away from a Brady led team in the hopes that Mallett might be better than Brady at some later date?

A bird in the hand and all that.

Right now BB is doing exactly what he should, get behind your legendary QB and throw inexpensive spaghetti at the wall with late round guys in the hopes that they show promise. If they do then you can develop them and either trade them for loot or keep them in cheap rookie contracts until they become necessary, which we hope doesn't happen.

There is NO guarantee that a 1st round pick will be a legit franchise QB, plenty of good ones have been found later but one should only cross that bridge when you come to it, not now.

DRC is a starting caliber, legitimate NFL CB. DRC will have a great season for the Broncos. This and what turned out to be a top of Round 2 draft pick is what the stupid Cardinals gave up for All World Kevin Kolb who got jettisoned from Arizona after failing miserably. Has to go down as one of the stupidest trades in NFL history.

So, the plan is to cross fingers and hope that another team will do something really, really stupid ? And this time, on a QB who hasn't seen any substantial playing time in the regular season ?

I think you're missing the fact that I was simply clarifying the cost associated with the franchise tag because a previous poster stated that it would cost $20 mil to keep him. I posted that it wouldn't because we'd do it as non exclusive if the .01% chance ever came true that we did franchise him, because the franchise compensation would be likely better than any trade.

OK - but I think you're missing the point that:

#1 - There's no reason for those teams to spend $15 million and a 1st round pick for Mallett when they could have him RIGHT NOW for $800,000 and a lower draft pick, and

#2 - If Mallett is willing to sit on the bench until he's 30 to be the starting QB here, then, by definition, he is not the type of QB we'd want or need.

Those are ultimately the only points that count.

The point as to whether its technically possible to carry a backup quarterback that takes up a huge chunk of the salary cap at the expense of other needed priorities is an academic one that has no bearing on the current or future team.

I'd say that should about wrap things up as far as "whether Mallett is our QB of the future."

How many times have teams traded this year's second for next year's one?

How many times have teams traded this year's third for ned year's second.

Would you really trade a 2014 1 for a 2017 1 straight up?

Huh?
A 2014 1st is better than a 2011 3rd in 2014.
In 2011 it may not be because you have to wait 3 years but in the long run a 1 is a 1.

I'm sorry that you're unable to grasp obvious points on this topic. That will preclude us from having a fruitful discussion. Perhaps, once you come to understand the difference between trading a player who showed promise, on the NFL field, for a player who'd been a disappointment and a pick, and trading a player who's shown nothing for that same sort of haul, we can revisit this.

So, the plan is to cross fingers and hope that another team will do something really, really stupid ? And this time, on a QB who hasn't seen any substantial playing time in the regular season ?

That's not my plan. If you've followed my posts in this thread, my plan is for the Pats to find a way to keep Mallett. The DRC and high second round pick for a backup QB in Kevin Kolb shows how desperate some teams can be for a QB and if it came down to it, and we did have to deal Mallett, I'm hoping there's another Arizona Cardinals GM out there.

How many times have teams traded this year's second for next year's one?

How many times have teams traded this year's third for ned year's second.

Would you really trade a 2014 1 for a 2017 1 straight up?

I'm not talking about trade value I'm taking about value of a player to a franchise.
Yes the 18 pick in 2013 and the 18 pick on 2025 have the sane value in the long run to the franchise.
They are discounted in trades because people who want something today pay more of tomorrow's assets to get it.
If you think the overall impact of trading a 2 today fur a 1 tomorrow is equal I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'll weigh in again, the Mallett delusion is growing.

-He still looks nervous and his decision making is way off, this will be noticeable in preseason. We will be welcomed by his 20 yard overthrows as well.

-No team thought of trading a 1st-2nd round pick for him in the worst QB class of the decade. No team will give up anything next year in arguably the best QB class of the decade.

-Mallett is not the successor to Brady. Mallett is not the successor to Brady. Mallett is not the successor to Brady.

The Brady successor is either a true freshman in college or a senior in HS.

So true... plus his footwork is at best - clutzy.

Mallett's pocket presence, mobility, accuracy, and consistency all concern me. We will just have to see how he has progressed. Just my opinion. But he is tall with a rocket arm!

It's refreshing that unlike with Brian Hoyer, fans are more objective with Mallett when it comes to evaluation. Many believed the Pats could/would get (no less) than a 2nd round pick in exchange for Hoyer who, IIRC was the assistant clipboard holder in Pitt.

I went to camp on Saturday and the first throw I saw Mallett make (and to be fair, Tebow was on the field for most of the hour I was there; Brady not at all) was a nice long................ pick six to Devin McCourty.

That's all I have to add to the discussion.

But he is tall with a rocket arm!

While that may be true, his "rocket arm" isn't showing too much so far this camp, as Ben Volin reports that he's had an enormous amount of underthrown balls thus far.

While that may be true, his "rocket arm" isn't showing too much so far this camp, as Ben Volin reports that he's had an enormous amount of underthrown balls thus far.

Viiolin also reported he doesn't have a "rocket" arm. So anything he says afterwards, has to accepted with a double grain of salt.

Mallett's speed on his passes was measured with a radar gun, and it is faster than any of his collegiate competitors that year; and matched the very strongest arms in the pros. Could it be that he is being coached, as Tom Brady was, to give his over the middle WRs a break, and not hang them out to dry with leaving them open to big hits?

Low throws on short passes are much tougher to intercept too, or hadn't you thought of that? That is one of Brady's tricks to a low interception rate. It takes coaching and repetition to develop that facility.

Mallett's rocket arm has been criticized as too strong on short passes; perhaps he is trying to modulate them a bit, and develop a bit of "touch", in response ot coaching. BTW, Brady fires the short passes in very hard as his receivers have often testified.

You are seeing a Work-in-Progress. This is only Ryan's second real preseason with a Training Camp, and Cassell didn't graduate from BB's QB school until the fourth preseason. Even then BB made sure he looked unimpressive with his purposeful "Trials of JOB" Poise-testing routine. Assuming that Ryan actually played in college, so Mallett is ahead of Cassell, even so the BB Polished Pro shouldn't be really ready until Preseason #3 in 2014, as scheduled.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back