PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Hannable Nails it!...Why Butler and Blount should have received Pro-bowl honors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Not that it matters in the grand schme of things, but given how hard these players work and the amount of time, energy, and preparation it takes to compete at such an elite level, I have to wonder why neither Blount nor Butler received any Pro-Bowl honors.

Hannable pretty much nails it!

....How Blount got snubbed
The AFC running backs are Le’Veon Bell, LeSean McCoy and DeMarco Murray. Bell and McCoy are no brainers, but a case can be made for Blount making the roster over Murray. Blount leads the NFL in rushing touchdowns with 15 and also has the most points in the AFC among non-kickers with 90. How can that player not be named to the Pro Bowl?

Blount has ran for 1,060 yards and 59 first downs on 265 carries this season, while Murray has ran for 1,224 yards and 61 first downs on 268 carries. Not all that much different and the Patriots' running back is one of the biggest offensive weapons on the best team in the AFC. The Titans on the other hand are fighting for their playoff lives in the dreadful AFC South.

Not only does Blount have the most touchdowns, he plays for the best team in the AFC. Shouldn't that be enough?

When two players are virtually the same like Blount and Murray appear to be, typically what team they play for helps break the tie and in this case there's no doubt it should have been Blount. (Blount apparently doesn't have any issue as he tweeted out congratulations to the other running backs shortly after the announcement.)
....How Malcolm got snubbed
On defense, the AFC cornerbacks are Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr., Marcus Peters and Casey Hayward. Zero issues at all with the first three players, especially the two members of the Broncos secondary, but Hayward over Butler, really?

This is Hayward's first time being named to the team, likely only due to his NFL-leading seven interceptions. But why is a player making the Pro Bowl because of interceptions? Don't the best cornerbacks not get thrown at as often because opposing quarterbacks don't even attempt passes their way? The majority of the time interceptions are because of a poor throw by a quarterback, not because of a great play being made by the defense.

Butler, who was a first-time Pro Bowler last year, is having another very good year this year and it doesn't make much sense why with virtually the same season as last year he doesn't make it this year, especially when the only reason seems to be because Hayward has a lot of interceptions.

Consistently, Butler gets matched up with the opposing teams' best receiver and for the most part, Butler has answered the call by shutting down some of the best in the game, including limiting Emmanuel Sanders to three catches for 48 yards last Sunday in Denver. Without seeing every Chargers game this season, it's hard to imagine Hayward sees the same matchups Butler does on a game-to-game basis. Not to mention, the Patriots are the best team in the AFC and the Chargers are 5-9.
He even makes a case for the Pats being under-represented in Pro-Bowl recognition as a team....
Records aren't everything when it comes to the Pro Bowl, but shouldn't the No. 1 seed in the AFC have more than four players represented, especially considering three AFC teams have more Pro Bowl players than the Patriots with the Raiders having a whopping seven and both the Titans and Steelers having five.
Only 4 pro bowlers for a 12-2 team? There's a case to be made that the Pats are under-represented.

But keep in mind, the last time the Patriots had the #1 scoring defense in the NFL and won the Super Bowl (2003) they only had 3 pro-bowlers

I wouldn't mind having history repeat itself ;)

Last edited:
I was shocked when I saw that Malcolm Butler wasn't a Pro Bowl corner. But then, Rodney Harrison used to not make the Pro Bowl and then be named All-Pro, so this isn't an exact science at all. They both deserve to go, I'm just particularly confused by Malcolm's snub.

Like you said, win the Bowl. Both of those two would trade their Pro Bowl for a Super Bowl, guaranteed.

Pretty amazing to have the best record in the NFL and only have 4 pro-bowl players

Pro Bowl, you say? Hmmm... let me see...

RaUTZNX.gif

Nope.

...apologize for the language... :)

By the time the pro bowl comes around, usually there are a high number of scratches. I really want both Butler and Blount to get honored but especially Blount, since he is 30 and has never made it after being undrafted and cast off from several teams.

It's amazing that both players went undrafted and are clearly pro bowl caliber.

In a Popularity Contest, Pats players are at a disadvantage. Too many voters will vote against just because they hate the franchise. This will come into play for any close call.

Butler made the pro-bowl last year, and his numbers this season are even better. Granted, the memory of his heroics at SB XLIX were still fresh, but still....you'd think he'd get recognition for improving his game even further

Actually, I think the article builds a better case for Murray than I thought he had previously. He's almost a yard per carry better than Blount, though even in first downs, and trailing in TDs. And we all know how much people love yards. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I don't really care very much. Actually, even since the SB-that-will-not-be-named, Pro Bowls almost disgust me. I can't shake the image the network put up of all the Pats Pro-Bowlers versus the lone Pro-Bowler for the NJ Giants.

And it shouldn't matter anyway. Let Talib and Harris play in the Pro Bowl (providing Talib doesn't shoot himself again), while our boys get ready for a flight to Houston.

Pro Bowl, you say? Hmmm... let me see...

RaUTZNX.gif

Nope.

...apologize for the language... :)

LOL, I know. And the coaches don't care either quite frankly...but as a fan, aren't you a little annoyed that the 8-6 Titans have more pro-bowlers this season than the Patriots (12-2, and standing at #1 seed in the conference)?

Just another way the League tries to screw the Patriots but ends up helping them. By not getting their fair share of Pro-Bowlers, we also don't pay our fair share of Pro-Bowl Bonuses. So our cap is helped and our players get another chip for their shoulders to help motivate the playoff run.

Just another way the League tries to screw the Patriots but ends up helping them. By not getting their fair share of Pro-Bowlers, we also don't pay our fair share of Pro-Bowl Bonuses. So our cap is helped and our players get another chip for their shoulders to help motivate the playoff run.
The voting is 1/3 fans, 1/3 coaches, and 1/3 players, so the NFL FO's have no involvement in it.

I think part of it is because Patriots fans are more complacent with voting for the Pro Bowl. We're always going to AFCC games or SB's every year, so what's the point?

Sorry Ryan.......7 INTs is incredibly impressive.

With regards to Butler's "snub"........ for most of the season, JAG QBs have been incredibly successful verses NE's secondary posting their highest QB ratings more often than not and Butler has been solid but unspectacular. Seems implausible for Pro Bowl voters to reward two Patriots secondary players when neither offered much in terms of stat sheet participation. Be happy McCourty got the nod given his rare play making demonstrations in the first dozen weeks.
Regarding Blount's "snub", this is very similar to how "experts" rank defenses. Yards are valued more than points and Blount resembles NE's defense...neither earning much respect despite the scoreboard reflection.
In the end, both Butler and Blount will likely make it to the ProBowl this year given the season ending attrition rates that always plague this "event".
Besides, NE will be playing in the SB the following week so no Pat will play.

I think Blount had a Pro Bowl caliber season and I know I said he was a snub in the main Pro Bowl thread, but I'm starting to think he really was just the 4th best RB in the conference. We can't credit him for TDs and discredit Hayward for INTs in the same breath, although that does show the hypocrisy of voters. Butler has been shutdown for the vast majority of the year, though, so I really don't get how he was left out.

Also, to those mentioning that we will likely have another few players added in due to injuries: If we're in the Super Bowl, or if they just decline the invitation, it doesn't go on their resume as a Pro Bowl. This is what happened to Hernandez in 2011. Was named as an alternate but didn't play in the game so he never officially made the Pro Bowl. Actually, the NFL has made it appear that he never officially played in the league....

Good: I was worried they didn't have chips on their shoulders. ;)

Nice try but Blount is not a better RB than Murray. Their years are both very good.

Its what we've been saying about Malcolm all along. If he had more picks and put the fear of god in QB's, his selection would be a no brainer. Because hes light in that #, that is why he was left off

Butler has had a better year than Talib, Harris, Peters and that other scrub.

same can be said for Branch and Cannon

but at the end of the day, who gives a **** about the pro bowl

Nice try but Blount is not a better RB than Murray. Their years are both very good.

Its what we've been saying about Malcolm all along. If he had more picks and put the fear of god in QB's, his selection would be a no brainer. Because hes light in that #, that is why he was left off

My understanding, is that Butler is leading the League in Pass Breakups (PBUs), which means that at a minimum, he's gonna be in a position to disrupt the play, throw a receiver off his route, or make a play for the ball (when targeted)

It's a reasonable point you're making....but I wouldn't under-sell Butler. His value to this defense is immense. Without him (and other important contributors) we would not be the #1 seed

My understanding, is that Butler is leading the League in Pass Breakups (PBUs), which means that at a minimum, he's gonna be in a position to disrupt the play, throw a receiver off his route, or make a play for the ball (when targeted)

It's a reasonable point you're making....but I wouldn't under-sell Butler. His value to this defense is immense. Without him (and other important contributors) we would not be the #1 seed

Everything you say is accurate.

PBUs are a tough stat to measure how good a DB is. It does mean the Cb is around the ball alot but you kinda need to look at the # of throws in his direction and receptions allowed to get a better feel for how successful they are. With that said, you also kinda gotta know with the attempts/receptions/PBU, was he in zone/man, etc. For Malcolm, we know he is not in man 100% of the time. The mix it up. That may help or hurt his stats. Not sure.

Once thing for sure... he is the best tackling CB in football. Hands down. That is vastly underappreciated.

Fair or not, INTs are a clarifying stat (not the end all be all) that indicates how productive a CB is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents