PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan assembling championship-caliber Jets defense; New England's revamped offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
That article is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in his rambling, incoherent article was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award him no points, and may God have mercy on his soul

Maybe he just needs a stuffed buffalo, a pitching wedge and some ice...

That article is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in his rambling, incoherent article was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award him no points, and may God have mercy on his soul

That's a little overboard, but I do think Brooks is a bit of a Yahoo and uses a lot of hyperbole in this article. Brooks and everyone else have no idea how Ryan is going to be as a head coach nevermind if he is capable of building a defense like he had in Baltimore in New York. If he doesn't, he wouldn't be the first former defensive genius coordinator out of Baltimore who failed. I'm sure you will find similiar articles on Marvin Lewis his first few years as a head coach.

That's a little overboard, but I do think Brooks is a bit of a Yahoo and uses a lot of hyperbole in this article. Brooks and everyone else have no idea how Ryan is going to be as a head coach nevermind if he is capable of building a defense like he had in Baltimore in New York. If he doesn't, he wouldn't be the first former defensive genius coordinator out of Baltimore who failed. I'm sure you will find similiar articles on Marvin Lewis his first few years as a head coach.

I meant it to be overboard ;).... as a parody of the overboard nature of parts of the article The article actually has some good points, but he's definitely more than reaching on a few points too. I was just reading some of the posts in response, and for some reason, that quote from Billy Madison came to mind. In case you're not familiar with it, here's a link;
YouTube - billy madison - insanely idiotic

It is an appropriate response for some of the points though, i.e. Mangini having left a solid foundation for the team, and the Gholston remarks come to mind. Mangini mortgaged the teams future in an attempt to win the AFC East and save his job. Ryan certainly has his work cut out for him this year. Unfortunately for him (fotunate for us), the NY fanbase and the Jets FO are so damn fickle, they'll expect this guy to turn it around in a few games, instead of a few seasons.

Last edited:
Maybe he just needs a stuffed buffalo, a pitching wedge and some ice...

It could be a live Buffalo, stuffed is merely a preference for safety purposes :cool:

Last edited:
Re: Ryan assembling championship-caliber Jets defense;New England's revamped offense

The Jets have built a 3-4 team. Word was they went with Ryan over Spagnolia because Ryan would keep the teamin the 3-4. If Ryan knows that Gholston is only good as a 4-3 DE and he intends to use him correctly, that means he intends to trade him to a team that will run the 4-3. You don't plan your defense around a second year player who was non-existent in his rookie season.

If Ryan is convinced Gholston cannot be a 3-4 OLB, Gholston career with the Jets is over because that is the ONLY PLACE he can fit into the Jets defense.

I do agree he probably will never make the transistion to OLB in the 3-4. Hence why I think he will be a bust. He is too expensive to cut. The Jets would be foolish to switch to the 4-3 especially after paying so much to get Calvin pace and Bart Scott to cater to a guy with 13 career tackles and no sacks.

Their not a real 3/4 team until they get a nosetackle. Dont be suprised if they use both fronts to get vernon on the field, until they draft, develop, or sign a NT.

baaahhhh...........one just has to ponder the notion of kellen clemens throwing to cotchery and stuckey to realize how seriously the jets are to be taken.....

watch the media flip out when the jets draft a QB in the first round and dub whoever it is as the next joe flacco........except that outside of a a few highlight reels, flacco sucked last year

what's more, the jets front 7 is just flat out slow in order for them to implement any of the ravens scheme in NY

also, while the addition of bart scott may help, the rest of the LB core sucks in pass coverage......so what will happen is that they will get a few more hits in, but the bunch will miss at least that many more tackles or coverage assignments

Re: Ryan assembling championship-caliber Jets defense;New England's revamped offense

Their not a real 3/4 team until they get a nosetackle. Dont be suprised if they use both fronts to get vernon on the field, until they draft, develop, or sign a NT.

Kris Jenkins is their NT and he was pretty good at it....At least the first 10 or so weeks of the season. The Jets are a real 3-4 team and they went as far as to make thier coaching hire based on him being a 3-4 head coach. Their two most expensive free agent acquisitions over the last two years (Calvin Pace and Bart Scott) are solely 3-4 LBs. Maybe they will cut Pace and Scott so they can adapt their defense around Gholston.

Granted with the Jets, you never know the stupidity they can achieve. They have spent the last two years and spent millions of dollars and draft picks to become a 3-4 team. It would be Jets logic to trash all that just to accomodate a player who has done absolutely nothing his entire NFL career.

Kris Jenkins is their NT and he was pretty good at it....At least the first 10 or so weeks of the season. The Jets are a real 3-4 team and they went as far as to make thier coaching hire based on him being a 3-4 head coach. Their two most expensive free agent acquisitions over the last two years (Calvin Pace and Bart Scott) are solely 3-4 LBs. Maybe they will cut Pace and Scott so they can adapt their defense around Gholston.

Granted with the Jets, you never know the stupidity they can achieve. They have spent the last two years and spent millions of dollars and draft picks to become a 3-4 team. It would be Jets logic to trash all that just to accomodate a player who has done absolutely nothing his entire NFL career.

He's got bad knees......He's not the answer for them at the nose. Don't be suprised if they rely on multiple fronts till they can get a true NT. Gholston could'nt get on the field last year. It would be suprising if they could'nt at least get him out there to see what they have. No one is building their team around Vernon Gholston, but at the same time it is short sighted to think that they will not do whatever possible to develop and or evaluate the 6th overall pick.

He's got bad knees......He's not the answer for them at the nose. Don't be suprised if they rely on multiple fronts till they can get a true NT. Gholston could'nt get on the field last year. It would be suprising if they could'nt at least get him out there to see what they have. No one is building their team around Vernon Gholston, but at the same time it is short sighted to think that they will not do whatever possible to develop and or evaluate the 6th overall pick.

He is much of an answer at NT as most 3-4 NT. There are only so many Vince Wilforks and Haloti Natas in this league. There was a lot of talk of Jenkins for DPOY around midseason and not only from the New York media. So I think you are underplaying Jenkins' abilities. I don't know if he can last an entire 16 games season at a high level, but he is at least a short term answer for them at NT.

Ryan won't use the 3-4 exclusively, few teams do these day. But it will most certainly be their based formation and will be used in the majority of the snaps. They will throw a bit of the 4-3 and other formations, but not enough to get a lot of production out of Gholston if they use him exclusively on those downs.

As for Gholston, his lack of opportunities on the field were because he failed to earn them not because the guys in front of him were that good. Bryan Thomas was a liability for much of the second half of the year. They lacked an efficient pass rush for the last two months that helped to get the secondary burnt so often. Gholston didn't get on the field because he couldn't adapt to the 3-4 and there were rumblings about how much he actually cared about learning to get to that point.

Ryan won't use the 3-4 exclusively, few teams do these day. But it will most certainly be their based formation and will be used in the majority of the snaps. They will throw a bit of the 4-3 and other formations, but not enough to get a lot of production out of Gholston if they use him exclusively on those downs.

I agree 100%. And if you're going to pay a guy top 6 money, you better be able to do more than find a way to get him on the field in situations. That's dead weight on the cap unless he's playing in the base formation on at least 70% of the snaps.

That team has a new coach a new attitude and certainly more talent. I think it's safe to say Ryan will get more use out of Gholston than Mangini did. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Jenkins was a legit two gapping nose, he was'nt he has health concerns that started showing up around week 12, also Wilfork and Ngata are great NT but you ommitted the best in the league, J.Williams.

That team has a new coach a new attitude and certainly more talent. I think it's safe to say Ryan will get more use out of Gholston than Mangini did. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Jenkins was a legit two gapping nose, he was'nt he has health concerns that started showing up around week 12, also Wilfork and Ngata are great NT but you ommitted the best in the league, J.Williams.

Casey Hampton isn't chopped liver either. Hasn't he anchored two Superbowl champs and played at a high level ever since he was drafted?

Casey Hampton isn't chopped liver either. Hasn't he anchored two Superbowl champs and played at a high level ever since he was drafted?

If he is chopped liver. He's allot of it.....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes