PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor that Pats will sign a vet QB, draft a QB at 3 and move Mac EDIT: [was] From Mark Daniel’s mouth to Gods Ears

They're missing way more than that:

QB1, WR1, TE1, TE2, TE3, LT, RT, swing T, RB2, 3D RB.

Bold ones being the most expensive and difficult to find.

That's too many positions to fill in one season regardless of the cap money available. There are no great options for the bolded positions in FAcy so they need to find them in the draft. It'll take time.
I would add QB2 since he will likely be starting for much of 2024.

Also, the Defense needs free agent help this year to replace or re-sign: Guy, Uche, Jennings, Wilson, Bryant, Dugger, Phillips and Mills.
==============

QB1 and LT will be drafted by #34 at the very latest. Yes, a top WR may need to wait until next year. I don't see the rest as not being available in 2024, but, sure, it will likely take 2 years and we have the cap money to take 2 years.

Also, the Defense needs free agent help this year to replace or re-sign: Guy, Uche, Jennings, Wilson, Bryant, Dugger, Phillips and Mills.
==============

QB1 and LT will be drafted by #34 at the very latest. Yes, a top WR may need to wait until next year. I don't see the rest as not being available in 2024, but, sure, it will likely take 2 years and we have the cap money to take 2 years.
Yes, that's just the offense. There were many great D players but the top 10 (minus Jones) are probably all getting tagged. Still need to bring in Edge (not Uche), CB and FS.

==============

On the defensive, side, you named 8 players, with only one of them - Dugger - being anything that would be difficult to replace.
Teams churn 44% of their players, on average, each year. I'd like to keep Wilson and particularly Jennings. And Dugger, of course. But other than that, shrug.

IMO, we will be competitive as soon as we get good QB play. With $100M of cap space this year and $200M next year, we will be able to fill holes and improve the rest of the roster.

If the goal is to be competitive then that’s not hard to do, just overpay a mediocre QB and blow your cap out with old skill players who only have a couple of years left in them. If the goal is to become a great franchise that’s in the final 8-4-2 every year then a more patient and strategic approach is called for.

If the goal is to be competitive then that’s not hard to do, just overpay a mediocre QB and blow your cap out with old skill players who only have a couple of years left in them. If the goal is to become a great franchise that’s in the final 8-4-2 every year then a more patient and strategic approach is called for.
Being competitive means in the playoffs. After that, it's a crapshoot for EVERY team that doesn't have Tom brady or Pat Mahomes (+BB or Andy Reid). Typically, the top 4, then 2, teams are heading for Captastrophe soon enough if they don't have one of those unicorn trees. Before you blink, you're Buffalo, after pushing back Allen and now having to pay, with Diggs getting older and hte defense starting to show its warts.

Get back in the playoffs and see where you go from there.

On the defensive, side, you named 8 players, with only one of them - Dugger - being anything that would be difficult to replace.
Teams churn 44% of their players, on average, each year. I'd like to keep Wilson and particularly Jennings. And Dugger, of course. But other than that, shrug.
Our situation on Defense is a very good one. I was merely pointing out that there are 8 players that will be re-signs or new players. I expect a couple of solid upgrades. As you, I would be most happy if we kept Dugger, Jennings and Wilson.
==========================
A SERIOUS ISSUE IN THE SECONDARY
We have FOUR free agent defensive backs. We have a fine Defense. It is indeed important to find four solid replacements, hopefully resulting in a stronger secondary.

Being competitive means in the playoffs. After that, it's a crapshoot for EVERY team that doesn't have Tom brady or Pat Mahomes (+BB or Andy Reid). Typically, the top 4, then 2, teams are heading for Captastrophe soon enough if they don't have one of those unicorn trees. Before you blink, you're Buffalo, after pushing back Allen and now having to pay, with Diggs getting older and hte defense starting to show its warts.

Get back in the playoffs and see where you go from there.

I disagree. There is a distinction between playoff teams and contenders. There are teams that can make it to the playoffs, like the Browns, Texans, Steelers, Bucs etc….., and teams that are contenders, like the Bills, Lions, 49ers. You can make the playoffs now and then with a competitive team, and even get there with a mediocre QB, but if you want to be a contender on a regular basis you need a franchise QB and a really good team and coaching to go with them. You can choose to rebuild to make them competitive, or you can build to be a contender, I would rather see them build a .contendet, I don’t have any interest in a mediocre QB that can make them a little over a .500 team,

I disagree. There is a distinction between playoff teams and contenders. There are teams that can make it to the playoffs, like the Browns, Texans, Steelers, Bucs etc….., and teams that are contenders, like the Bills, Lions, 49ers. You can make the playoffs now and then with a competitive team, and even get there with a mediocre QB, but if you want to be a contender on a regular basis you need a franchise QB and a really good team and coaching to go with them. You can choose to rebuild to make them competitive, or you can build to be a contender, I would rather see them build a .contendet, I don’t have any interest in a mediocre QB that can make them a little over a .500 team,
Purdy is nothing special, Goff was considered meh a couple of years ago, and Allen is on the downside already.

Mayfield on SF would get a ring. I know he’s had his struggles, but the guy can play.

Purdy is nothing special, Goff was considered meh a couple of years ago, and Allen is on the downside already.

Mayfield on SF would get a ring. I know he’s had his struggles, but the guy can play.

Disagree completely. Mayfield has never been anything more than average, and he’s going to get seriously overpaid.You’re welcome to him, I have zero interest in him playing for the Patriots. And I’m not interested in some attempt at a quick fix just so they can be a .500 team.

Disagree completely. Mayfield has never been anything more than average, and he’s going to get seriously overpaid.You’re welcome to him, I have zero interest in him playing for the Patriots. And I’m not interested in some attempt at a quick fix just so they can be a .500 team.
Since neither one of us make the decisions…

Because from your posts, it's clear:
Did Ivan tip you off?
1. You were upset that Bill got fired.
Yup, BB earned the chance to right the ship, but you were happy that the team lost and that BB is gone.
2. You were upset Kraft selected Mayo.
Yup, my position has always been preference for a HC with prior NFL HC experience.
3. You hate Kraft & claim Mac is his boy.
Kraft picked Corky and nixed trading him last off season.
4. You've been predicting Mac will be the starter because Kraft wants it that way, which is complete BS.
HAHA. We shall soon see what Kraft - your GM wants.
5. You know that Mac being the starter will result in failure.
I actually believe that he can win more games with better talent because he isnt that type to make others around him better.

The NE OL looked worse than it actually is because Corky holds the ball too long and struggles to read defenses. The NE WRs looked like bums because Corky cant throw into tight windows.
Therefore, it doesn't take a leap in faith to conclude that you want Mayo to fail because of Kraft.
Dont you understand what just happened?

BB hated Corky Mac because he was forced on BB because of Kraft. I did not see you complaining about failure and Kraft at all last season.
Mac isn't easy to move. They tried last spring. No interest. They tried at trade deadline. No interest. I doubt there's interest now. He'll have to be packaged in a draft day trade of some sort.
Thank you for thinking of another good point why Corky will be the 2024 NEP QB.

I disagree. The OL is very young and raw, but there's talent along it, particularly if they keep Onwenu. They need one more piece (I still think it might even be Strange at LT, with Mafi going to LG).

They have a good RB, and that position is cheap.

Their defense is young and very good.

They're missing at WR and QB - arguably, honestly, the most important places. Add a couple of A-rated WRs and the holes shrink dramatically.

And yes, two to three years to really get there..and forever if you keep drafting and not hitting the guy with the other philosophy.
Let's talk at the end of next year. Your optimism just does not in my mind comport with the dismal reality of the overall roster nor with the rawness of the team's unproven management/coaching structure. Events over next season will show which of us is right. I ain't worried.

If they don’t fix QB, none of it matters. They will suck.

Did Ivan tip you off?

Yup, BB earned the chance to right the ship, but you were happy that the team lost and that BB is gone.

Yup, my position has always been preference for a HC with prior NFL HC experience.

I actually believe that he can win more games with better talent because he isnt that type to make others around him better.

The NE OL looked worse than it actually is because Corky holds the ball too long and struggles to read defenses. The NE WRs looked like bums because Corky cant throw into tight windows.

BB hated Corky Mac because he was forced on BB because of Kraft. I did not see you complaining about failure and Kraft at all last season.

So you just confirmed everything I said to be true. No conspiracy theory. You're hoping Mac is the day 1 starter so that Mayo/Kraft fail, so you can rub it in Kraft's face that he should've never fired Bill.

That's not happening. While success is not guaranteed, they'll go into the season with either a bridge QB, a starting vet QB1, or the #3 pick rookie QB.

I'm excited for this season. Obviously, Wolf/Mayo have to hit HRs in FAcy / Draft to overcome the team being devoid of talent that Bill left behind. Mac will be gone before OTAs.

Reactions: sb1
QB1, WR1, TE1, TE2, TE3, LT, RT, swing T, RB2, 3D RB.

Bold ones being the most expensive and difficult to find.

That's too many positions to fill in one season regardless of the cap money available. There are no great options for the bolded positions in FAcy so they need to find them in the draft. It'll take time.

So if you assume 2 drafts at minimum needed, does that argue for QB1 this year plus a veteran, and let the rookie sit until next year when you can fill the WR/LT gaps?

Or the other version is you fill WR1 and LT this year, play with a vet QB and hope to strike lucky with a later-round QB, but planning on finding QB1 next year?

So if you assume 2 drafts at minimum needed, does that argue for QB1 this year plus a veteran, and let the rookie sit until next year when you can fill the WR/LT gaps?

Or the other version is you fill WR1 and LT this year, play with a vet QB and hope to strike lucky with a later-round QB, but planning on finding QB1 next year?
the projected 2025 QB draft is awful

In any case, a team does not often get to pick in the top 5 (or at least hopes not to)

So you just confirmed everything I said to be true. No conspiracy theory. You're hoping Mac is the day 1 starter so that Mayo/Kraft fail, so you can rub it in Kraft's face that he should've never fired Bill.

That's not happening. While success is not guaranteed, they'll go into the season with either a bridge QB, a starting vet QB1, or the #3 pick rookie QB.

I'm excited for this season. Obviously, Wolf/Mayo have to hit HRs in FAcy / Draft to overcome the team being devoid of talent that Bill left behind. Mac will be gone before OTAs.

No bologna
431263708_797521325753868_8480753720606573579_n.jpg

Did Ivan tip you off?

Week 5 is almost here. Zappe has worked so hard to get to this point. It's his time now. He's taking over the NFL.

. Obviously, Wolf/Mayo have to hit HRs in FAcy / Draft to overcome the team being devoid of talent that Bill left behind.
Looking at the dreadful shape of the roster you have to ask WTF was BB doing these last few years.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back