PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor that Pats will sign a vet QB, draft a QB at 3 and move Mac EDIT: [was] From Mark Daniel’s mouth to Gods Ears

You read like crazy Ivan dreaming up comspricay theories of the Patriors demise where I am the architect.

Tell me Ivan, how can Mayo be held responsible for following Kraft orders?
Nah, not letting you deflect. You've been telling everyone for weeks that Mac Jones is the Wk 1 starter. You sticking with that hot take or not?

Just read an article this morning, I'll try and dig it up, it said BB was all in on Daniels and was going to do whatever he had to, to get him. Not sure if that's good or bad, you decide.

I am suspicious, but maybe I am just an old cynic.

If I were the Patriots, I would want to trade down from 3, get some other team's 2025 first and some other picks. First build a supporting cast before getting a marquee QB with that 2025 pick; otherwise, you risk ruining him as Mac has been ruined.

But more to the point, I would not broadcast the fact that I want to move down! Why show your hand? Make some other QB-needy team pay a dear price by pretending you do not want to move down, unless the offer is irresistible...

I hope that this is what the Patriots are going to do. It looks like the FA crop will not help much this year, and the Patriots need to fill a lot of holes and this has to be done via the draft.

So which QB will take us to the promised land?

I’ll take any of the top 3 QB’s as their best shot at getting a franchise QB. Once you get past that the likelihood you will get your guy drops off significantly, and you aren’t going to get them in free agency or a trade, unless they are 40 and you are hoping to get one shot at the Super Bowl with them. Fortunately for Pats fans it sounds like they really like these QB’s, and they should come away with their QB if the future early on Draft night.

I’ll take any of the top 3 QB’s as their best shot at getting a franchise QB. Once you get past that the likelihood you will get your guy drops off significantly, and you aren’t going to get them in free agency or a trade, unless they are 40 and you are hoping to get one shot at the Super Bowl with them. Fortunately for Pats fans it sounds like they really like these QB’s, and they should come away with their QB if the future early on Draft night.
the team isn't a qb away which is why these high priced aged qb's would not interest me at all

the team isn't a qb away which is why these high priced aged qb's would not interest me at all
I agree with this. With all our needs, and given the inevitability that it is going to take a couple or a few years to fix the garbage Bill left behind, the only vet I'd be interested in would be a cheap one who could give us a year or two of modestly to minimally competent QB play while the New Kid (likely this year, but perhaps next if the team decides Harrison is a better way to go) figures out what the hell he's doing without getting killed or crippled in the process. It would be a fool's errand in these circumstance to pick an expensive vet who "might develop into a real starter for us." Such upside should be sought in a new (and cheap) rising rookie prospect. When it comes to tools, the Pats should shop at Harbor Freight, not at some Artisanal Woodcarver's Boutique in Charming Redding, Connecticut. You don't need that fancy **** for the scut work you have coming up. When the job is done, just toss that worn-out tool aside, with appropriate gratitude.

To be honest, I'd pay as much attention to the bridge guy's teaching and mentoring skills as to his likely declining football skills.

Nah, not letting you deflect.
More conspiracies Ivanecol?

Calling you out isn't a conspiracy or deflection, but you wont answer my question. Twice you've gone and claimed that I want Mayo to fail.
You've been telling everyone for weeks that Mac Jones is the Wk 1 starter. You sticking with that hot take or not?
Until Jones is gone you have nothing but typical off season rumors to cling to.

I support this approach. The team is not good and to throw the rookie franchise QB out there surrounded by a dog **** OL and WRs (except Pops) it makes sense.
That's why they have rounds 2-6 and free agency. Barely anything was done to the offense last yr except O'Brien, pop Douglas and another tightend

Agree completely, but think t comes down to what the goal is for the future. There are some here who want to load up in free agency, become competitive immediately, and hope they can get a Lombardi out of it. On the other hand there are many here who want them to try and build a team that will contend every year for a long time. Either way it will require a franchise QB, and the big debate is what is the best way to get one. My opinion on it’s clear, take one of the top 3 QB’s in this years draft and build around.

I agree with this. With all our needs, and given the inevitability that it is going to take a couple or a few years to fix the garbage Bill left behind, the only vet I'd be interested in would be a cheap one who could give us a year or two of modestly to minimally competent QB play while the New Kid (likely this year, but perhaps next if the team decides Harrison is a better way to go) figures out what the hell he's doing without getting killed or crippled in the process. It would be a fool's errand in these circumstance to pick an expensive vet who "might develop into a real starter for us." Such upside should be sought in a new (and cheap) rising rookie prospect. When it comes to tools, the Pats should shop at Harbor Freight, not at some Artisanal Woodcarver's Boutique in Charming Redding, Connecticut. You don't need that fancy **** for the scut work you have coming up. When the job is done, just toss that worn-out tool aside, with appropriate gratitude.

To be honest, I'd pay as much attention to the bridge guy's teaching and mentoring skills as to his likely declining football skills.
There is no “few years” of building in today’s NFL. You can’t keep limping along the bottom year after year. That leads to restless fans and coaching carousels and your core pieces aging out, or coming off those cheap rookie deals.

Whether it’s a rookie Superman or one of the vets, the Pats can make leaps and bounds this offseason with their draft and CAP capital.

Let’s say they trade for Jefferson, draft MHJ, sign Mayfield, and Onwenu and a couple of other pieces. Maybe even Wilkins on the DL…

All of that is doable.

Where are they then?

The superstar skill players are demanding $$$ after year 3 now, and jumping teams is much more common. Puttering along works with TB12 or some other unicorn-like creature.

There is no “few years” of building in today’s NFL. You can’t keep limping along the bottom year after year. That leads to restless fans and coaching carousels and your core pieces aging out, or coming off those cheap rookie deals.

Whether it’s a rookie Superman or one of the vets, the Pats can make leaps and bounds this offseason with their draft and CAP capital.

Let’s say they trade for Jefferson, draft MHJ, sign Mayfield, and Onwenu and a couple of other pieces. Maybe even Wilkins on the DL…

All of that is doable.

Where are they then?

The superstar skill players are demanding $$$ after year 3 now, and jumping teams is much more common. Puttering along works with TB12 or some other unicorn-like creature.

What leads to limping along is the absence of a franchise QB. Once you have that you can use the Draft and free agency to build around them according to your strengths and weaknesses. If you don’t have one it pretty much doesn’t matter how many other pieces you have. As you won’t get past the teams that have them when it matters the most. The bottom line for the Patriots is that they will take one with their 3rd pick if they believe they can be the franchise QB for them, and if they don’t they will trade out, and then go BPA and back to the drawing board to figure how they are going to get that franchise QB?

All of that is doable.

Where are they then?

Lovely thoughts, but the fact is that this team has such an abysmally bad roster at this point that it will inevitably take two to three years to get into actual contention. Such fans as are inclined to weepiness or pantytwisting when faced with this reality will just have to suck it up.

Lovely thoughts, but the fact is that this team has such an abysmally bad roster at this point that it will inevitably take two to three years to get into actual contention. Such fans as are inclined to weepiness or pantytwisting when faced with this reality will just have to suck it up.
IMO, we might be competitive in 2024 if we signed Mayfield and Evans.

More conspiracies Ivanecol?

Calling you out isn't a conspiracy or deflection, but you wont answer my question. Twice you've gone and claimed that I want Mayo to fail.
Because from your posts, it's clear:
1. You were upset that Bill got fired.
2. You were upset Kraft selected Mayo.
3. You hate Kraft & claim Mac is his boy.
4. You've been predicting Mac will be the starter because Kraft wants it that way, which is complete BS.
5. You know that Mac being the starter will result in failure.

Therefore, it doesn't take a leap in faith to conclude that you want Mayo to fail because of Kraft.

Until Jones is gone you have nothing but typical off season rumors to cling to.
Mac isn't easy to move. They tried last spring. No interest. They tried at trade deadline. No interest. I doubt there's interest now. He'll have to be packaged in a draft day trade of some sort.

I disagree. The OL is very young and raw, but there's talent along it, particularly if they keep Onwenu. They need one more piece (I still think it might even be Strange at LT, with Mafi going to LG).

They have a good RB, and that position is cheap.

Their defense is young and very good.

They're missing at WR and QB - arguably, honestly, the most important places. Add a couple of A-rated WRs and the holes shrink dramatically.

And yes, two to three years to really get there..and forever if you keep drafting and not hitting the guy with the other philosophy.

Mac isn't easy to move. They tried last spring. No interest. They tried at trade deadline. No interest. I doubt there's interest now. He'll have to be packaged in a draft day trade of some sort.
The situation is different now.

Now, we are willing to take much, much less. Draft Day 2 might be a good time to get a 6th or 7th for Mac. Or, perhaps a trade of places in one of the Day 3 rounds.

I disagree. The OL is very young and raw, but there's talent along it, particularly if they keep Onwenu. They need one more piece (I still think it might even be Strange at LT, with Mafi going to LG).

They're missing at WR and QB - arguably, honestly, the most important places. Add a couple of A-rated WRs and the holes shrink dramatically.

And yes, two to three years to really get there..and forever if you keep drafting and not hitting the guy with the other philosophy.
IMO, we will be competitive as soon as we get good QB play. With $100M of cap space this year and $200M next year, we will be able to fill holes and improve the rest of the roster.

They're missing way more than that:

QB1, WR1, TE1, TE2, TE3, LT, RT, swing T, RB2, 3D RB.

Bold ones being the most expensive and difficult to find.

That's too many positions to fill in one season regardless of the cap money available. There are no great options for the bolded positions in FAcy so they need to find them in the draft. It'll take time.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back