PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Gorin Traded to Arizona????

Status
Not open for further replies.
texpat said:
I don't thing we get anything for UFA lost. Maybe Miguel needs to set the record straight.

UFA's are what compensation picks are based on. If the player became a free agent because he was released by the team, he does not count towards the formula.

Lamanai said:
You forgot Andre Davis, who signed a relatively lucrative contract with Buffalo. Also, I believe that Warfield and Seau signed after the cutoff date for being included in the formula, so they would not count against us.

You are right. I did forget about Davis. I also was unaware that there was a cutoff date; I just thought it was any UFA signed prior to the season. Even if the cutoff date does not exist, Davis would cancel out Seau leaving Ashworth unaffected.

sieglo said:
Is anyone but me annoyed that we are trading a healthy, proven tackle, who has started consistently on a Super Bowl winning team, and will probably start on the team he's been traded to, for a damned '07 draft pick? This seems crazy to me.

I'm trying real hard to "in BB I trust" this one.

And a 7th rounder no less. Friggin lame.

Gorin has gotten bashed by the fans quite a bit. I think he has done an admirable job for the Pats, but I don't have any problem letting him go. I think we have plenty of depth at tackle and Kaczur and O'Callaghan have a higher upside than Gorin.

Oswlek said:
I'm trying to figure out where the 4 comp picks are coming from, because I can't make it balance that way:

Vinatieri - Certainly
Givens - Definitely
Ashworth - Probable
McGinest - No, he was released, not an UFA

Anyone else will be offset by the signings of Caldwell, Warfield (if he makes the cut) and Seau. Seau may in fact cancel out Ashworth from the picture, although I think the difference in contract sizes will lead to a 6th or 7th rounder anyway.

Am I missing something?

Edited to add that the premise is still true. Even with only two comp picks, as long as Gorin and Tucker fetch something that will give NE 4 extra day two picks. Givens may even lead to an extra 3rd. This team always finds a way to position itself to be in the driver's seat come draft day.

Oswlek -
The Patriots lost 8 players who could be eligible for compensation. They were David Givens, Tom Ashworth, Adam Vinatieri, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight, Matt Chatham, Christian Fauria and Michael Stone. Michael Stone, by virtue of the fact that his contract was below the cut-off from last year will not count into the finial compensation equation. The Patriots signed Reche Caldwell and Eric Warfield. They off-set Tim Dwight and Christian Fauria leaving the Pats with 5 eligible players for compensation. Picks are given for the top 4.

My projections (based on AdamJT13's great articles and previous projections are this:
David Givens - 4th round pick (could be a 3rd rounder if he does extremely well)
Tom Ashworth - 6th round pick. (could become a 5th if he starts day 1 with the Seahawks and does really well)
Adam Vinatieri - 6th round pick
Andre Davis - 7th round pick.

Oswlek said:
UFA's are what compensation picks are based on. If the player became a free agent because he was released by the team, he does not count towards the formula.

You are right. I did forget about Davis. I also was unaware that there was a cutoff date; I just thought it was any UFA signed prior to the season. Even if the cutoff date does not exist, Davis would cancel out Seau leaving Ashworth unaffected.

Yes, there is a cut-off date. I believe it is July 1st. They may have changed that for the new CBA, but I doubt it.

Warfield does count. Even if Seau counted, he would take out Davis and still leave compensation for Matt Chatham or Christian Fauria. So the Pats would still be getting 4 draft picks.

miguel could ask adamj, but this seems to be a pretty good estimate.

DaBruinz said:
Oswlek -
The Patriots lost 8 players who could be eligible for compensation. They were David Givens, Tom Ashworth, Adam Vinatieri, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight, Matt Chatham, Christian Fauria and Michael Stone. Michael Stone, by virtue of the fact that his contract was below the cut-off from last year will not count into the finial compensation equation. The Patriots signed Reche Caldwell and Eric Warfield. They off-set Tim Dwight and Christian Fauria leaving the Pats with 5 eligible players for compensation. Picks are given for the top 4.

My projections (based on AdamJT13's great articles and previous projections are this:
David Givens - 4th round pick (could be a 3rd rounder if he does extremely well)
Tom Ashworth - 6th round pick. (could become a 5th if he starts day 1 with the Seahawks and does really well)
Adam Vinatieri - 6th round pick
Andre Davis - 7th round pick.

mgteich said:
miguel could ask adamj, but this seems to be a pretty good estimate.

I am not certain, but isn't there a maximum number of picks that are allocated ? A total number of 32 seems to ring a bell. If so, it is possible that if there were more than 32 eligible picks, net, the Pats could be shaved back to three total picks. Again, not 100% certain abiout the rules, just going on memory.

Lamanai said:
I am not certain, but isn't there a maximum number of picks that are allocated ? A total number of 32 seems to ring a bell. If so, it is possible that if there were more than 32 eligible picks, net, the Pats could be shaved back to three total picks. Again, not 100% certain abiout the rules, just going on memory.

The likely-hood is there, but its miniscule, honestly. Last year's minimum salary cut-off was like 700K. Any FA below 700K wasn't figured into the compensation mix. Anyone above was. The previous year, the cut off was 670K or so. Only Michael Stone falls below the 700K mark of the players the Pats lost. And the cut off would have to rise to over 785K before another Patriot player would be affected and I don't see that happening.

Yes, there is a potential for 32 compensation picks to be given out. However, you have to take into consideration that many teams added comp eligible players without losing comp eligble players. In other words, they won't be eligible for compensation picks.

DaBruinz said:
The likely-hood is there, but its miniscule, honestly. Last year's minimum salary cut-off was like 700K. Any FA below 700K wasn't figured into the compensation mix. Anyone above was. The previous year, the cut off was 670K or so. Only Michael Stone falls below the 700K mark of the players the Pats lost. And the cut off would have to rise to over 785K before another Patriot player would be affected and I don't see that happening.

Yes, there is a potential for 32 compensation picks to be given out. However, you have to take into consideration that many teams added comp eligible players without losing comp eligble players. In other words, they won't be eligible for compensation picks.

Speaking theoretically here, what would happen if more than 32 picks are eligible to be awarded ? Would they just flat out reduce some teams, or would they "upgrade" picks (e.g. Pats get a 5th instead of two 6ths, which reduces the league total by one pick) ? Again, I am not suggesting this is going to happen, just interested in knowing. Given the boost in cap dollars this off-season, i wasn't sure if the number of Free Agent signings was up. Although I guess there would be a corresponding loss of a player too...

Last edited:
I've been talking about this trade since minicamp. Anybody who watches Gorin on film can see that he is awful. He can be overpowered by linebackers.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I've been talking about this trade since minicamp. Anybody who watches Gorin on film can see that he is awful. He can be overpowered by linebackers.

Maybe he'll play better at Pink Taco Stadium.

but...was he traded to ARZ or SD ?

i have read both teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back