PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Gorin Traded to Arizona????

Status
Not open for further replies.
PromisedLand said:
It's quite possible to turn a 5th rounder (or below) into a productive (or better) player.
No doubt - I was just trying to temper expectations that we won't be getting a great pick for Gorin. Now, Cassel in a year or two is different :)

Stockpiling draft picks to parlay them into a possible trade for a WR or LB.

Amnorix said:
I think this is a VERY strong sign that Light is healthy, O'Callaghan is performing well, and Kaczur is close to returning. With 3 good options ahead of Gorin at tackle, it's easy to see why they made this trade.

Tuned in to post the Kaycur angle ... but Amnorix already pressed that button.

So let me opine ... that (a) Gorin will become a starter on that weak O-Line ...
and (b) the Cards will have a pretty high draft rank.
This conditional pick is going to be worth something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Is anyone but me annoyed that we are trading a healthy, proven tackle, who has started consistently on a Super Bowl winning team, and will probably start on the team he's been traded to, for a damned '07 draft pick? This seems crazy to me.

I'm trying real hard to "in BB I trust" this one.

And a 7th rounder no less. Friggin lame.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:
Tuned in to post the Kaycur angle ... but Amnorix already pressed that button.

I was wondering how you went about pronouncing "Kaycur"

I know how to pronounce "Kaczur," but not "Kaycur."

Is it like "Caker?"

:D

Last edited:
sieglo said:
Is anyone but me annoyed that we are trading a healthy, proven tackle, who has started consistently on a Super Bowl winning team, and will probably start on the team he's been traded to, for a damned '07 draft pick? This seems crazy to me.

I think it's that he was close to not making the team. Remember there was no O'Callaghan last year, Britt was on the PS, Light was hurt. There's a lot of new bodies now who were evidently better than him.

BelichickFan said:
No doubt - I was just trying to temper expectations that we won't be getting a great pick for Gorin. Now, Cassel in a year or two is different :)

No!! Cassel needs to stick around to be Young to Brady's Montana.
:)

sieglo said:

No. He was going to be the 4th tackle on the depth chart at best (after Light, Kascar, and O'Callaghan). This probably also means Kascar is close to returning.

sieglo said:

Not at all. Would you rather get nothing for him when he is released in a few weeks? Assuming Kaczur is coming off pup soon, Gorin was not making this team.

Also, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that NE targets teams that will likely have poor records in doing these types of trades. If Arizona has their typical 6-10 season then that pick would only be a few later than the one that nabbed O'Calaghan this year. I think all 4 of the players taken in the 6th and 7th rounds this past year are better players than Gorin, who has almost singlehandedly removed Daniel Graham from the offensive playbook the past two years.

sieglo said:

We are trading him because we have better, younger players now. He could have very well been cut in three weeks. A 7th rounder is better than a hand shake and a goodbye.

Not every player that starts for a Super Bowl winning team deserves to be a Day 1 pick.

Also keep in mind that he only started when a player went down, he never took the job from them. So basically, even when he started, he was our #3 tackle.

maverick4 said:
No!! Cassel needs to stick around to be Young to Brady's Montana.
:)
Timing isn't right. If Brady were 33 and Cassel a rookie then yes.

BelichickFan said:
Timing isn't right. If Brady were 33 and Cassel a rookie then yes.

Not really, because Steve Young had been in the league for several years before taking over for the 49ers.

Matt Cassel will be right around Young's age when Brady is near the end of his Pats tenure, I think.

Plus, I wouldn't want to trade away a QB who I think will be really good. I'd rather hold onto him. It's so hard to find and develop quality QB's.

maverick4 said:
Not really, because Steve Young had been in the league for several years before taking over for the 49ers.
That was before FA. It's not happening now.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
Not every player that starts for a Super Bowl winning team deserves to be a Day 1 pick.

Really. Who in their right mind would trade anything above a 6th rounder for Gorin? If they were to do so, then they obviously haven't done their homework.

This move is a strong endorsement for O'Callaghan, no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a good move for both the Pats and Brandon. He gets a starting job and we get a pick for what appeared to be our 3-4th stringer. Win-Win deal by the FO!

I'm not surprised that the pick was a 7th, conditional 6th. Reading the earlier posts on this thread, my thought was "a 5th?!?... wishful thinking!" He's an UDFA pickup, who's been groomed into a servicable player... but prone to giving up the speed sack.

Gorin got solidly beaten out by two rookies in consecutive years, one a 3rd rounder the other a 5th rounder. We've known for a while that Gorin was the weakest of the Light/Ashworth/Gorin triumverate... and by a lot, too. We're only likely to get a 6th for Ashworth, too. It would be ridiculous to think we'd get more than that for Gorin.

I think a 6th is fair value. A 7th is a bit weak, but better than nothing given that Gorin looked like he was trending to the waiver wire. This is trade value roughly on par with Grant Williams, who started in a SB too as an emergency backup, and went to the Rams in 2002. We didn't really miss him, either.

The last week or so, my biggest concern was that BB was showcasing O'Callaghan during TC and on game day to get Dallas to bite. Turns out, now it seems more likely that O'Callaghan was the position and made Brandon superfluous... which is a far better outcome than trading the rookie.

One reason I'm glad O'Callaghan is doing so well is because we could have used that pick on Tim Dobbins, a 250# ILB from Iowa, who is impressing coaches in San Diego and sure would look good in Patriots Blues right about now. If O'Callaghan had been a complete bust, I would have been pissed.

As it is, O'Callaghan's rapid success at RT proves that BB/SP ability to judge talent and value is still solidly in place, despite their apparent inability to fill the glaring need for LB via the draft over the past few years.

Out of all the teams looking for OL help, the best we can get is a conditional 7th rounder? Huh? This guy was the starter on a line that took Brady to the SB with barely a scratch. From Patriots.com:
"In 2004, the Purdue product broke into the starting lineup at right tackle, starting 10 of 14 games and all three playoff contests as New England allowed just 26 sacks and averaged more than 4.0 yards per carry for the first time in 19 years. Last season, he played in 12 games at right tackle and started the final eight contests of the regular season in addition to both of New England’s playoff games."

In BB we trust, but he hardly hosed the Cardinals on this one. Look at it this way - how much better is Ashworth? He went and got a multi-million dollar deal from the Seahawks, he's got to be worth much more than a 7th to sign that kind of deal and he's maybe a smidge better than Gorin. This trade wasn't some of the Patriot's best work no matter how you slice it up.

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
I'm not surprised that the pick was a 7th, conditional 6th. Reading the earlier posts on this thread, my thought was "a 5th?!?... wishful thinking!"
Although I was the one to throw that out, I do agree with you as I was uncertain if Gorin would even make the team the way he's looked. Still, a guy who can legitimitely, if not well, play LT and RT teased me into bumping it up a round :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back