PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sporin said:
...no mention of the Pats.
That's shocking considering how often the Patriots negotiate in public :bricks:

Urgent said:
If the Patriots traded former starter Gorin for a seventh, conditional, offering a fourth for Edwards isn't crazy.

I would be concerned about his health. SD says he isn't practicing due to a bad back.

No argument there. The Pats "offering" a 4th rounder is not crazy.

AJ Smith "agreeing" to that (when he just rejected a 4th rounder from NO) is, however, STUNNINGLY crazy.

Last edited:
BB gave a 4th to the Bears to help our NT positoin once. Ted Washington.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
BB gave a 4th to the Bears to help our NT positoin once. Ted Washington.

The Bears are not in our conference. For a team in our conference (one we may be jockeying with for playoff seeding), for a player deemed almost an Assistant Coach, it'll take alot more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been at work since 7:30 biding time until the weekend, trying not to papercut myself to death due to sheer boredom...and then...in the midst of darkness this thread appears and my life has meaning again! I realize that if indeed Pioli, Belichick and Co. pull Edwards for what will be a late thrid...and his back is not going to give way just bending over to tie his shoes...than the New England Patriots will actually have a SOLID and DEEP linebacking corp. I agree with the Phifer comparisons. If he can stay healthy Edwards can be productive for two, maybe three more years in an inside rotation. He must be viewed as a short-term contributer though and does not mean that we don't need to get younger at this position VERY quickly. Even with Edwards, who I am very excited about, I still think the Pats need to draft / sign at least two solid young LB's (not UFA's and 6th round project-types) this offseason.

Time to connect some dots.

The pats are getting compensation picks, so they might have an extra third, but who knows.

bump

A little thing like giving Branch the right to seek a trade and all of a sudden there's no love for Donnie Edwards anymore! :D

The End Zone said:
I've been at work since 7:30 biding time until the weekend, trying not to papercut myself to death due to sheer boredom...and then...in the midst of darkness this thread appears and my life has meaning again! I realize that if indeed Pioli, Belichick and Co. pull Edwards for what will be a late thrid...and his back is not going to give way just bending over to tie his shoes...than the New England Patriots will actually have a SOLID and DEEP linebacking corp. I agree with the Phifer comparisons. If he can stay healthy Edwards can be productive for two, maybe three more years in an inside rotation. He must be viewed as a short-term contributer though and does not mean that we don't need to get younger at this position VERY quickly. Even with Edwards, who I am very excited about, I still think the Pats need to draft / sign at least two solid young LB's (not UFA's and 6th round project-types) this offseason.

About your signature -

You're trying to say Seau, who has gone to 6 times as many Pro Bowls as McGinest, doesn't deserve to even wear his old number? And I seriously, seriously doubt #55 will be retired.

About all this "trading within the conference" talk...

You guys do know that 16 of the 32 teams in the league are in the AFC, right? Not to mention that most of the good ones are, which militates for the theory that over 50% of the decent players are in the AFC?

If you want to trade for a player, trade in the conference, I say. If you want to trade for a draft spot, trade with the NFC. If you want to trade with total idiots, trade with Minnesota.

Thing 2, same subject: gee, if a team's in your division, that makes them in your conference, right?

Would you ever, ever trade a guy that a year ago you thought was the forever-future-quarterback-of-the-franchise within the division?

Uh yeah, we did that.

So yeah, it's great if you can get the deal outside the conference, outside the division, etc., but it seems like it's more of an "all other things being equal" consideration than the focus going in.

Just wanted to ping this "don't trade him to our competition" train of thought.

Did it ever occur to you guys, that when we trade with them, they are also trading with us???

PFnV

For those still holding out hope for a Donnie Edwards trade, Adam Shefter just reported on NFL total access that the Saints are planning to offer the conditional pick that they received from the Eagles for Donte Stallworth to the Chargers for Donnie Edwards. He said that the pick is a 4th that will be bumped up to a 3rd if Stallworth meets a playing time threshold.

Seems a bit odd that the Saints would still want a LB after getting Shanle and Simoneou, they must have really started with nothing!

Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

tombonneau said:
Hey, if they want to consider 3.32 a Day 1 pick, more power to 'em. ;)

Tombonneau: Good original tidbit, the first time I've seen a draft pick value broken down to 2 decimal points. The math looks pretty good too.

Adam Shefter says NO is going to trade the 4th they got from PHL for Stallworth to the Chargers for Edwards

pats1 said:
You're trying to say Seau, who has gone to 6 times as many Pro Bowls as McGinest, doesn't deserve to even wear his old number? And I seriously, seriously doubt #55 will be retired.

Just in case you hadn't heard: Junior called Willie personally and asked him if it was ok to wear #55 and Willie gave his blessings. They both said it was a man-to-man "good conversation"

If Willie says its ok with him, then who here would complain about it?

Good luck to Willie out there in "dead team walking" Cleveland.

Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Hok said:
Potentially, we do. We traded them for conditional '07 draft picks.

We traded them for 7ths that are conditional 6ths. They are not just conditional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back