Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060825-9999-1s25edwards.html

Trade talks with Saints break off

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 25, 2006

Donnie Edwards, not for lack of trying to leave his hometown, appears stuck here for now.

Sources said yesterday the Chargers and New Orleans Saints have broken off trade talks, the Saints refusing to come up from their offer of a fourth-round draft pick in exchange for the beleaguered linebacker.

The Saints are the only suitor to have contacted the Chargers.

Sources also said that Edwards and General Manager A.J. Smith spoke recently in a meeting requested by Edwards. In that conference, Edwards asked Smith to let him go to New Orleans.

Following the meeting, the Chargers contacted the Saints and said they would take a third-rounder in exchange for Edwards, but New Orleans held firm.

Last edited:

Dont we have a bunch of picks for next year's draft? Maybe because of that FO might consider it. And D. Edwards sound like a plan to me...

shmessy said:
A 3rd and a 5th might work. We'll have several 5, 6 and 7th rounders when we get the comp picks for Ashworth, Givens, Willie Mac and AV. Plus the Tucker and Gorin picks.
Just leeting you know we dont get a pick for Willie because we cut him.

Please, oh please, oh please, oh please let this trade happen. Please, oh please, oh please!!!!!!

SeanBruschi54 said:
Just leeting you know we dont get a pick for Willie because we cut him.

Yup, my bad. We still have a boatload of extra late rounders coming to us from Givens, AV, Ashworth, Tucker and Gorin.

Re: Some truth to go with this rumor

shmessy said:
Obviously, you didn't fully read my post. Yes, superficially a 3rd rounder is better. But an early fourth rounder is almost as appreciated by a front office as a late 3rd rounder because of the TIME element. They can strategize better their pick with 12 extra hours. This is a big deal logistically to a FO (especially if we're talking no more than 8 spots or so). Therefore, if Smith rejected pathetic New Orleans' 4th round offer, he would definitely reject high contender New England's 3rd round offer. There would have to be a sweetener to effect this deal.

A 3rd rounder from the Saints could get this deal done. A 3rd rounder from the Pats doesn't.

I did read your full post and even accounting for the time factor I still think the premise is off. So do you apparently when you write "But an early fourth rounder is almost as appreciated by a front office as a late third rounder."

Saying that because a fourth rounder was rejected, would mean that we would have to add another pick to a 3rd rounder that we are offering simply does not make sense even with the Time factor. That maybe only comes into play if you have a really bad FO that doesn't do their homework before the draft.

re: your avatar (HOK)...Is that not the face of a true Jedi warrior?

Last edited:

smg93 said:
I did read your full post and even accounting for the time factor I still think the premise is off. So do you apparently when you write "But an early fourth rounder is almost as appreciated by a front office as a late third rounder."

Saying that because a fourth rounder was rejected, would mean that we would have to add another pick to a 3rd rounder that we are offering simply does not make sense even with the Time factor. That maybe only comes into play if you have a really bad FO that doesn't do their homework before the draft.

Correct me if I'm wrong: You believe there's a big enough difference between a #94 pick with 5 minutes to make the decision and a #102 pick with 12 hours to make the decision for AJ Smith to trade Edwards to an AFC rival instead of an NFC loser?

Consider the whole picture.

Last edited:

Patriotic Fervor said:
re: your avatar (HOK)...Is that not the face of a true Jedi warrior?
It certainly is. :D

it took a lot of guts to go with my current avatar/sig combination. Now everyone knows I'm a huge geek.

Let's hope this rumor's true - a 3rd is a little high but I think Edwards is worth it... does anyone know if his good health is confirmed at this point - or was SD still sitting him for the most part in the hopes of working a trade?

We get nothing fro Tucker or Gorin.

shmessy said:
Yup, my bad. We still have a boatload of extra late rounders coming to us from Givens, AV, Ashworth, Tucker and Gorin.

mgteich said:

How's that?

mgteich said:
Potentially, we do. We traded them for conditional '07 draft picks.

mgteich said:

We gave them away? Do Romeo and Denny have compromising photos of BB?

Last edited:

I agree that a 3rd rounder is probably a bit steep but given the state of our LB corp, DEdwards would definitely be an improvement over Monty and Chad even if he is "undersized".

Klecko is going to eventually run out of niches to fit into.

Hey, congrats re: Braeden, CT! I just noticed. Hope you and the Mrs. are getting your sleeps!

Went to a few different boards and the only thing talked about, including current articles, is that trade talks with the Saints and DE have broke off. No mention that the Pats are even interested.

shmessy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong: You believe there's a big enough difference between a #94 pick with 5 minutes to make the decision and a #102 pick with 12 hours to make the decision for AJ Smith to trade Edwards to an AFC rival instead of an NFC loser?

Consider the whole picture.

The time frame is largely irrelevent. The whole "5 minutes to make a decision" is only a factor if you believe that a FO was targeting one particular player that was taken just before them, and they had no real backup plan. Well, unless the pick is the very first of the 4th round, then they both are immediately following another choice. Therefore they are on even ground.

Not only that, but what is going to happen in the 12 hours that alters your previous scouting?

The draft is so prolonged (most teams take at least 10 minutes for every pick) that any decent FO will be keeping track of:

1) What players they are targeting
2) What positions they have taken so far
3) What positions/players other teams have taken (this way if they have 2 4ths, they are better equipped to determine if a player of one position is more/less likely to be snatched up by those following them than another.

I disagree that the 12 hours helps in the decision making process much at all. The only value I can see is it gives more time for possible trades. I guess you could make the case that it would allow teams to get a fresh start if they felt they didn't do as well as they would have liked, but most of those FO guys are pretty pompous anyway.

shmessy said:
Hey, congrats re: Braeden, CT! I just noticed. Hope you and the Mrs. are getting your sleeps!

NOT! :) Thanks, shmessy. On top of everything else, the Mrs. contracted MRSA from the hospital and is still recovering from the effects 2.5 weeks later due to the incompetence of each doctor involved. If not for the little guy I think we'd both lost it by now! Plugging away though. Thankfully THE season is nearly upon us!

Hok said:
It certainly is. :D

it took a lot of guts to go with my current avatar/sig combination. Now everyone knows I'm a huge geek.

dude, avatar rocks!...definitely NOT geeky. Comparing BB/TB to OW/LS is a sign of true genius (too bad Dillon self-applied it with Maroney...that's just not quite as fitting for some reason).

anyway, nice to know there's at least a little self-deprecation on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back