PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: D.Edwards to Pats for 3rd - Per SD sports radio

jaychamp said:
Went to a few different boards and the only thing talked about, including current articles, is that trade talks with the Saints and DE have broke off. No mention that the Pats are even interested.
Were the Patriots known to be talking with Cinci for Dillon a few years back?

Nope, its just how our team rolls.

:rocker:

CTPatsFan said:
NOT! :) Thanks, shmessy. On top of everything else, the Mrs. contracted MRSA from the hospital and is still recovering from the effects 2.5 weeks later due to the incompetence of each doctor involved. If not for the little guy I think we'd both lost it by now! Plugging away though. Thankfully THE season is nearly upon us!

Wow. Here's to a quick and full recovery. Make sure to take full advantage of any relatives/help you have close by.

Re: Some truth to go with this rumor

Oswlek said:
The time frame is largely irrelevent. The whole "5 minutes to make a decision" is only a factor if you believe that a FO was targeting one particular player that was taken just before them, and they had no real backup plan. Well, unless the pick is the very first of the 4th round, then they both are immediately following another choice. Therefore they are on even ground.

Not only that, but what is going to happen in the 12 hours that alters your previous scouting?

The draft is so prolonged (most teams take at least 10 minutes for every pick) that any decent FO will be keeping track of:

1) What players they are targeting
2) What positions they have taken so far
3) What positions/players other teams have taken (this way if they have 2 4ths, they are better equipped to determine if a player of one position is more/less likely to be snatched up by those following them than another.

I disagree that the 12 hours helps in the decision making process much at all. The only value I can see is it gives more time for possible trades. I guess you could make the case that it would allow teams to get a fresh start if they felt they didn't do as well as they would have liked, but most of those FO guys are pretty pompous anyway.

I never said the Saints 4th rounder is "better" than the Pats 3rd rounder. Just that the difference between a #94 on day one to an AFC rival contender and a #102 on day two to an irrelevant NFC team will not look that much more appealing to AJ Smith.

He said "no" to the #102 to the irrelevant NFC team. What makes people here think he'll then jump for the #94 to an AFC rival playoff contender who will then have an ILB with intimate knowledge of the SD D?

Last edited:

shmessy said:
I never said the Saints 4th rounder is "better" than the Pats 3rd rounder. Just that the difference between a #94 on day one to an AFC rival contender and a #102 on day two to an irrelevant NFC team will not look that much more appealing to AJ Smith.

He said "no" to the #102 to the irrelevant NFC team. What makes people here think he'll then jump for the #94 to an AFC rival playoff contender who will then have an ILB with intimate knowledge of the SD D?

I guess I missed the larger point. I thought you were trying to say that an early 4th is better on its own merit than a late 3rd.

Oswlek said:
I guess I missed the larger point. I thought you were trying to say that an early 4th is better on its own merit than a late 3rd.

No prob. Perhaps I didn't make myself totally clear in my earlier post.

What it all comes down to is if AJ Smith is going to approve of sending D. Edwards (who some say is akin to an "assistant coach" in the SD D) to an AFC playoff rival, it's going to take a bit more than just 8 spots up from an irrelevant NFC team on different draft days.

For the Pats to make him budge to take that risk, they'd have to sweeten it from just a 3rd. Perhaps a 3rd and a 5th - - I don't know.

I'll joyfully eat boiled liver if Smith agrees to just a #3rd from the Pats.

Last edited:

Joker said:
Check out Booby Grier's thirds if you want to choke and gag
More than just 3rd rounders was a problem with Grier....you can talk 1sts(Canty), 2nds (Simmons, Rutledge, George, Mitchell) and 3rds(Shaw, Carter, Floyd). Obviously, the drafting has been a complete turnaround in the last 6 years or do.....That said, I'd still give up the 90 something pick in the draft to potentially tremendously upgrade (Edwards in, Beisel out) a position of serious weakness, to give us a much better shot at a 4th SB in 6 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmessy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong: You believe there's a big enough difference between a #94 pick with 5 minutes to make the decision and a #102 pick with 12 hours to make the decision for AJ Smith to trade Edwards to an AFC rival instead of an NFC loser?

Consider the whole picture.

All I'm saying is that I disagree with your argument that a 4th round pick is more appealing than a 3rd rounder because of the Time element. You agreed with that assesment as well by saying that a fourth rounder "is almost as appreciated" as a third rounder.

I did consider the whole picture based on your initial argument. The time element was your whole basis for saying that our offer of a 3rd rounder would be rejected. Based on that alone, I would disagree with you.

But now that you've added the dimension of trading a player to an AFC rival vs. NFC loser, well that's a whole different argument all together. Had you started with that, then I'd be able to see a much better factor to consider. Even with that to consider, I still don't think that one can come to the conclusion that a Pats 3rd round offer would probably be rejected if NO's fourth rounder was.

smg93 said:
..........Even with that to consider, I still don't think that one can come to the conclusion that a Pats 3rd round offer would probably be rejected if NO's fourth rounder was.

I'll respectfully disagree. D. Edwards is almost like a coach on the SD D. There is a huge difference in what SD gives up if they ship him to New England (an AFC playoff contender who will then have his knowledge of the SD system) than to New Orleans. That is worth more than eight late-day1/ early-day2 spots in the draft for two reasons:

1) AFC playoff spot competition
2) Probability of having to face NE in playoffs is far greater than facing NO in SB

Those two factors equal a whole lot more than 8 spots between rounds 3 and 4.

Once again, if AJ Smith jumps at just a #3 from NE after rejecting a #4 from NO, then I will HAPPILY eat boiled liver everyday for a week because he will have shown great favoritism towards us over the Saints.

Last edited:

tombonneau said:
I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm, as I'm seeing no word on Charger messageboards as of yet, but the fact that the source went into enough detail that they said Beisel would be cut to make way for Edwards is what makes it seem legit to me.
I don't know. That makes it sound bogus to me.

The Pats don't have to make room to add players. They have already cut several players and have plenty of room to add before the next cutdown.

And how would a San Diego newsguy know what Belichick's plans were if Curran/Reiss/Tomase/etc never know ahead of time?

jaychamp said:
Went to a few different boards and the only thing talked about, including current articles, is that trade talks with the Saints and DE have broke off. No mention that the Pats are even interested.

The SD Union-Tribune is reporting this morning that talks are heating up with several teams, and he could be traded soon. They do not mention any teams specifically, however.

I hope they don't get him. He's probably just another guy. Isn't he kind of small? I could see him getting run over alot.

Monty Beisel was/is such a complete disaster that I would think they'd be gun shy.

SaCaCh said:
Um, you guys really falling for yet another of these, friend heard it on the radio rumors????

WAKE UP!!!:p

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.:eek:

Yeah, but what does NEM's bar friend's cousin's hair dresser have to say about this rumor?

Just on principle, I don't get too excited over any rumors until NEM's bar friend's cousin's hair dresser confirms it.

NEM, please confirm with your sources and report back to us. Thanks.

mcbee said:
I hope they don't get him. He's probably just another guy. Isn't he kind of small? I could see him getting run over alot.

Monty Beisel was/is such a complete disaster that I would think they'd be gun shy.

He's about 239 on average, which is certainly small, but he's definitely not a JAG. He's proven he can play in San Diego.

shmessy said:
I will HAPPILY eat boiled liver everyday for a week

Maybe liverwurst for me but boiled liver???:eek: You are a brave man.:D

smg93 said:
Maybe liverwurst for me but boiled liver???:eek: You are a brave man.:D

Nawwwwww. Just confident that AJ Smith ain't shipping him to NE for a late 3rd rounder.

That would be awesome. Plus a 3rd rounder from us is more like a 4th rounder since we'll be picking dead last every round next year.

);p

This thread should really end because the rumour is bogus...

as if they would just cut Beisel to "make room' for Edwards? yah. I can just picture BB / Piolo saying " hey Donnie, here's the job, we don't even expect you to compete with anyone... we're just going to cut another LB and hand it over to you". Please. If anything, they would could a bubble player like a 3rd string back up, they wouldn't just be cutting Beisel to bring in Edwards, as much as we would like them to.

shmessy said:
Nawwwwww. Just confident that AJ Smith ain't shipping him to NE for a late 3rd rounder.

You do realize that the 07 draft order isn't set yet?

You and I might believe that the Pats are a shoo-in for a late-round pick, but AJ might not be so sure. After all, a lot can happen during the course of a season.

From CNNSi...

Sources said yesterday the Chargers and Saints have broken off trade talks, the Saints refusing to come up from their offer of a fourth-round draft pick in exchange for linebacker Donnie Edwards. The Saints are the only suitor to have contacted the Chargers. -- San Diego Union-Tribune

...no mention of the Pat's.

The Saints just traded for Shanle from the Cowboys, an ILB that many here were interested in - like 10 years younger, bigger, a little experience as a starting 3-4 ILB.

SO
Given that the Saints are out, and given that the Chargers don't expect to get anything out of Edwards, they might begin to listen to other offers.

If the Patriots traded former starter Gorin for a seventh, conditional, offering a fourth for Edwards isn't crazy.

I would be concerned about his health. SD says he isn't practicing due to a bad back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back