Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rumor: Belichick turned down first round pick for Mallett

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Sciz, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I didn't want the title to be obnoxiously long, but something like "Rumor from anonymous Twitterer that claims to have worked in NFL:" would have more accurately described this. Take it for what it's worth.

There's this guy on Twitter under the name NFLosophy. His description says that he is a "Former NFL Operations Coordinator," and he's mentioned many times that he worked for a team whose GM was fired and that he lost his job as part of the house-cleaning that happened with the new GM. He is trying to find another job in the league.

Outside of being a great guy to follow for draft scouting and an idea of how things work behind the scenes, he temporarily dropped one little tidbit that I'd figure would be of notice here.

First, a statement of his opinion not about his opinion of Mallett, but more about teambuilding philosophy:
    That's the first overall pick, ladies and gentlemen.

And because there are enough people that think their complaints on Twitter actually get somewhere, one of his followers accused him of having no idea what he was talking about, pertaining to Mallett being worth a first round pick. And then he dropped the gem:
    To add to the speculation, the tweet was deleted and he hasn't said anything else on the subject since.

I don't really know what to think about the claim that a team offered a first for Mallett, but I definitely see why Belichick would turn it down. It's an old strategy that I remember using in Madden. If you have a player that makes a team better, then you want their pick from the season before they get him rather than the season that they do have him. If they're a 4-12 team without him and a 8-8 team with him, you want that 4-12 pick rather than the 8-8 pick. Assuming there's still a team out there that values him at a first round pick, which I don't doubt given this lackluster QB class (assuming there every was such a team in the first place), then Belichick could trade Mallett before the draft and know exactly what pick he's getting rather than playing the first round pick lottery.

Acknowledging that this is one anonymous guy's claim that may be completely try or complete nonsense (which I hope I've made painfully clear), then what do people think?

tl;dr: Twitter user claims to have worked in NFL, says Belichick turned down first round pick for Mallett.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. festy1986

festy1986 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pats aren't getting a first round pick for him let alone the first over all.

If they could get anything in the first I'd be upset if they turned it down. Same team who traded Seymour couple weeks before the season started for a first in a draft that was two years away.
  3. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

About as believable as the email that says 'Congratulations, you won the lottery! Just send us $1,000 to process your winning order and we'll send you your million dollar lottery prize'.

A #1 draft pick for a QB drafted in the 3rd round who has never played a meaningful down in the NFL? That's so counter intuitive that even someone who works for the Jets front office wouldn't offer it...
  4. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

That would have netted the Patriots a 2 round gain for Mallett. I find it difficult to believe that BB wouldn't accept that value (unless he has plans for Mallett of which we're unaware).

This sounds like some crap incarcerated ******** would spew.
  5. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Seriously have a hard time believing this. BB loves his draft picks.
  6. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

If I were BB, I'd get several anonymous sources to send out tweets to that effect. Next it will be a 1st and 3rd, then the kind of deal Cincy got for Carson Palmer.
  7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

You might be right. I did some digging and found the account registered to an email of ernie.adams@foxboroughfoxhole.net.

:D
  8. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If that's true, Belichick should have had his GM powers revoked.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

He loves them even more now that we have a CBA agreement that did away with big bucks for unproven rookies..
  10. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Fixed it.

11. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I got an email from the Prince of Nigeria...I had to send him the money, he's royalty for God's sakes!
  12. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What's the guy's twitter account?
  13. FortressX

FortressX Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How could KC sell this to their fans after the Cassel deal ?
  14. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Regardless if BB was offered a 1st round pick or not the fact remains that Mallett was a graded as a 1st round talent coming out of college. If not for his past drug issues he probably would have been a top 10 pick. By all accounts he has been a good soldier studying under the best QB in the league. How exactly would any of that reduce his value?

We are not talking about a typical 3rd round, 7th round or an UDFA that was overlooked in the draft or who looked good in a game or two that the media is hyping.
  15. ahmed

ahmed Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Zero chance that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Has Mallet improved as QB since being drafted...no doubt he has. Has be proven anything in the NFL? He can hand the ball off?

Even Al Davis (may his soul rest in peace) wouldn't offer us a 1st for Mallet if he desperately needed a QB.
  17. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm still waiting for that second round draft pick for Brian Hoyer! :beatingcoming:
  18. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

With all due acknowledgements that this report is about as credible as a magic 8 ball...

It's not hard to imagine that Mallett could be worth more now than when he was drafted. Not #1 overall, obviously, but more.

He was pretty universally acknowledged as a round-1 talent, but had character questions that made him a risky choice as the new face of a struggling franchise. After 2 seasons toeing the line in "the Patriot way," showing the off-season commitment to beat out the incumbent backup, he has presumably erased those concerns. Which leaves you with a well-trained 6' 7" QB with an elite arm, under contract for peanuts for the next two years.
  19. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

What's the name of that kids' game? "I doubt it..." If KC is dumb enough to give us the first pick in the draft for unproven and so far, underwhelming Mallett, then more power to them, but I ain't buying it.
  20. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Imagine the tales Matt Walsh might have spun on twitter if it existed back in the day...
  21. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 1 / -2

LMAO @ the Mallett haters

mostly 'experts' who have never been right
  22. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I have read they've been looking for a #2 for Mallett. I will even give my source from twitter, @brentsobleski who writes for ESPN and has been around a while. I could dig up a link but it would take a while, it was on a Browns message board when I was discussing whether Chip Kelly's offense would work in the NFL. This was a recent conversation but I think the #2 thing was from last offseason.
  23. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

Who said they hate Mallett? Lots of people just said they doubt anyone offered a first round pick for him.
  24. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Locker and Gabbert were drafted in the top 10 that year. If not for his character concerns Mallett would be going into his 3rd year as a starter next season. In a weak QB draft and with nearly a 3rd of the league consisting of new GM's or head coaches looking to make a big splash and needing to fix a team anything is possible.
  25. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have a very hard time believing this. Mallett isn't going anywhere. You think Belichick would trade away his only backup to Brady...the backup he trusted to take the sole spot...and then take a gamble in FA or even worse, the draft with an unproven prospect? Especially with the crapshoot the QB class is this year.

Highly unlikely. I'd expect Belichick to draft another QB somewhere in the mid rounds (maybe higher if he has doubts on Mallett) before we see Brady retire but that's about it. Money really wasn't a huge issue with Hoyer...if Mallett wasn't playing well enough his tender cost would have easily been eaten by us for a year in order to insure our interests.

Mallett is the guy right now and all the while he's the only other QB on the roster, with an ageing Brady, you have to feel they trust this guy and think he can take over down the line.
  26. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

#32 Jersey

The Chiefs are never giving the first overall pick for Mallet after Cassel. Mallet hasnt done a thing to date, so why would a team give a 1st for him?

This guy on Twitter must be Incarcerated Bobs brother in law.
  27. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yet Charming Charlie Whitehurst fetched a 2011 #3 and a twenty spot trade up in round 2 .

Seattle Seahawks acquire San Diego Chargers' Charlie Whitehurst - ESPN

"
    The Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers have completed a trade that sends third-string Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle for draft picks.

[​IMG] Whitehurst

The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.
    Seattle, meanwhile, has signed Whitehurst to a two-year, $8 million contract, with $2 million more in incentives, sources said.
    New coach Pete Carroll said he is excited about Whitehurst's potential.
    "We are all about competition," Carroll said. "Charlie has tremendous talent and upside and we are very excited to watch him develop and help our football team."
    The Chargers now have three third-round picks in 2011. They earlier acquired the New York Jets' third-round pick next year in exchange for cornerback Antonio Cromartie.
    Whitehurst, a restricted free agent with third-round compensation, has had only four NFL snaps and has not thrown a pass in a regular-season game. The Clemson product signed his one-year restricted tender Wednesday, which facilitated the trade, after deciding he preferred to play in Seattle instead of Arizona.
    "I haven't played four seasons in the NFL, but I've been behind a great quarterback in Philip Rivers," said Whitehurst, son of former NFL QB David Whitehurst. "It's a similar situation to Matt here. You learn a ton from those guys."
  28. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Andy Reid drafts QBs so he can sucker teams into trading for them with a higher draft pick. I think he plays this game pretty well.
  29. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I can see this scenario playing out. The Pats sign Cassel after he is cut by the Chiefs and make Mallett available to the highest bidder. A QB needy team who missed out on Alex Smith look at the guys coming out and don't feel that good about any of them. So they decide to take a flyer on a guy who was considered a top ten talent two years ago who has learned how to be and prepare as a professional from the best in the business.

Doesn't seem far fetched to me.
  30. ForThoseAboutToRock

ForThoseAboutToRock Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As dubious as I am about the tweets cited here, it's fun imagining the reaction people would have to New England landing a top 10 pick for Mallett... especially those who hate the Patriots all us classless fans who follow them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.