PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld's Evan Silva looks at the offseason needs for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's strange to refer to a player as "above average" and in the same line of commentary, say he's overrated by the board.

No, it's not. We do it all the time, especially in QB discussions. Quit looking for a "Gotcha!" moment that's not there.

Last edited:
No, you stuffed up. Admit it and move on.

I didn't stuff up. Solder is, as I noted, a serviceable/above average guy, who's historically been overrated by this board. You're welcome to make yourself look like a fool by arguing against this all you want.

You'll just be talking out of your ass again.

I didn't stuff up. Solder is, as I noted, a serviceable/above average guy, who's historically been overrated by this board. You're welcome to make yourself look like a fool by arguing against this all you want.

You'll just be talking out of your ass again.
God you're a painful ****head at times. You said Solder is an above average kind of LT and that he was serviceable in two unconnected posts. Either you're contradicting yourself, you're confused, or as per usual, you're just looking for an argument because you can't admit you stuffed up. Nobody here is overrating Solder to the point of him being one of the best LTs of all time, because that's what overrating above average would be.

Your own words have betrayed you. Move on.

Solder is probably a little above average for a starting LT, which is good enough. Nobody needs Tony Boselli to win a super bowl, you just need something better than Marcus Cannon and Cameron Fleming.

OL - i really wanted a veteran interior Oline to be the starter. As much as i trust Scar, I was less than pleased with everything that i saw from everyone last year. I will say this again: Denver would not have won the Super bowl if they hadn't trade for Evan Mathis last year. Had we made this trade, I think the results would have been different.

RB - We don't have a RUNNING back yet. Brown is camp fodder, Gaffney is nothing but hope and dreams. Lewis played like the best satelite RB that i have ever seen, however it would be very unwise to trust someone who has never played a full season to man up in every play. Blount looked lazy and slow last year, IMO and the fact that he hasn't returned or signed anywhere may have to do with that (Plus, he is not that good)

CB - I was not a member of the Butler bandwagon at first, and still have my reservations TBH, but he more than deserves to remain as the #1 here. At the same time, I am more confident in Logan Ryan than most. He showed that he can be a solid number 2. Still, i feel like we need someone to compete with Ryan. Plus, I don't really know what to expect from Colemon he did well for a rookie, but i don't know how high is his potential.

I'm much happier with Lewis than many. We need a better backup - and possibly rotation guy if we're going to run a lot - but to suggest he's not a RUNNING back is ridiculous to me. If you want to keep him to 15 carries and 20 touches a game, fine. But get a better backup, don't self bench him.

Solder has been overrated on this board from the first day he arrived. That doesn't mean that 100% of the people on the board overrate him. It's just the general position of the board.

You note the real key, which is positional value. LT is sort of like QB in that sense. Solder is an above average kind of LT who really needs a top end LG in order to maximize his game, because it allows him to sort of overcommit against quality pass rushers. He's not a top 3-4 player on the team, though, regardless of his money. I'd put the following positional players above him, without even getting to anyone I'd consider a close call, or the 2 STers I'd also consider no brainers (Gost, Slater):

Edelman
Brady
Gronk
Collins
Hightower
McCourty
Butler

I think a Matt Light v. Nate Solder poll would be very interesting...
Why is a Solder to Lite comparison so interesting? Solder is pretty good but he's not even the best tackle on the team right now. Volmer is better and has been better in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with Silva's analysis of the Pats' needs, though I would flip-flop CB & DL…and an OLB who could actually cover RBs & TEs would be nice too.

But Norris' mock that includes only 1 OLman out of 11 picks is a complete Fail.

I agree 100% with this post, especially if we can get a lb that can cover backs,

Why is a Solder to Lite comparison so interesting? Solder is pretty good but he's not even the best tackle on the team right now. Volmer is better and has been better in my opinion.

Vollmer has done a solid job at RT, but he plays a different position so it's difficult to compare. I can certainly see why you may feel that way. I wonder what the forum consensus would be? I'm guessing it would be split fairly evenly--maybe 60/40 for either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes