PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rotoworld's Evan Silva looks at the offseason needs for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
At tackle, LT Nate Solder has turned in two disappointing seasons in a row
When Solder's on the field…I agree….disappointment. He buys Brady quick strike time but not much else. Sorry….not even close to a lock down LT….vulnerable to inside moves…..exposed after Mankins' departure.
And the logic that a SB ring must mean he's great? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

When Solder's on the field…I agree….disappointment. He buys Brady quick strike time but not much else. Sorry….not even close to a lock down LT

Who do you consider a lock down LT? He's more than good enough to win a Super Bowl, so...

We clearly need swing tackle depth but IMO he's fine as a starter.

When Solder's on the field…I agree….disappointment. He buys Brady quick strike time but not much else. Sorry….not even close to a lock down LT….vulnerable to inside moves…..exposed after Mankins' departure.

Be careful. That's one of the big arguments for Brady as GOAT, right? :p

When Solder's on the field…I agree….disappointment.
Disagree. Solder's maybe not a hall-of-famer but I'm pretty happy with him there, and I think Brady is too.

(And arguably, it's even more important that Brady's happy with him than me.)

Exposed after Mankins' departure possibly because he was suffering from cancer at the time.

Exposed after Mankins' departure possibly because he was suffering from cancer at the time.

Correction, he had recovered by that time, but had lost one of his boys* in the battle. I'm curious if it had any physical or psychological impact on him though.

*testicle

Solder will be fine. Hell, Vollmer will be fine too. We need better depth and start grooming our tackle of the future, it's not gonna be Cannon of Fleming. I'm hoping our guards improve too which may make Solder look better.

At tackle, LT Nate Solder has turned in two disappointing seasons in a row

What?

Won a SB in '14 and got injured in Week 5..
Rotoworld has degenerated into a bunch of jerks with overinflated opinions of themselves. It's sad as it once had great promise.

Solder is overrated by this board, but he is a serviceable starter in this system.

Deus, you mention that Soldier is over-rated on this board, but I’ve seen everything from calling him a JAG (as they often did with Matt Light) to a star, there seems to be no consensus on his worth on this board.

His contract (cap hit is $10.3M / $11.2M in 2016-17, I think) tells me that he is one of the 3-4 most valued players on the team. Doubtlessly the difficulties in finding top left tackles without a high draft pick factors into that valuation (as is his relative youth at 27). I wouldn't be surprised if his toughness in playing through cancer surgery isn't a factor also.

That said, I agree with the assertion you have made in the past in various ways that the best offensive lineman of the Patriots is Tom Brady, it is probably difficult to compare any of the Patriot linemen to those on teams with normal or even better than normal quarterbacks.

Last edited:
Deus, you mention that Soldier is over-rated on this board, but I’ve seen everything from calling him a JAG (as they often did with Matt Light) to a star, there seems to be no consensus on his worth on this board.

Solder has been overrated on this board from the first day he arrived. That doesn't mean that 100% of the people on the board overrate him. It's just the general position of the board.

His contract (cap hit is $10.3M / $11.2M in 2016-17, I think) tells me that he is one of the 3-4 most valued players on the team. Doubtlessly the difficulties in finding top left tackles without a high draft pick factors into that valuation (as is his relative youth at 27). I wouldn't be surprised if his toughness in playing through cancer surgery isn't a factor also.

You note the real key, which is positional value. LT is sort of like QB in that sense. Solder is an above average kind of LT who really needs a top end LG in order to maximize his game, because it allows him to sort of overcommit against quality pass rushers. He's not a top 3-4 player on the team, though, regardless of his money. I'd put the following positional players above him, without even getting to anyone I'd consider a close call, or the 2 STers I'd also consider no brainers (Gost, Slater):

Edelman
Brady
Gronk
Collins
Hightower
McCourty
Butler

That said, I agree with the assertion you have made in the past in various ways that the best offensive lineman of the Patriots is Tom Brady, it is probably difficult to compare any of the Patriot linemen to those on teams with normal or above normal quarterbacks.

I think a Matt Light v. Nate Solder poll would be very interesting...

You note the real key, which is positional value. LT is sort of like QB in that sense. Solder is an above average kind of LT who really needs a top end LG in order to maximize his game, because it allows him to sort of overcommit against quality pass rushers. He's not a top 3-4 player on the team, though, regardless of his money. I'd put the following positional players above him, without even getting to anyone I'd consider a close call, or the 2 STers I'd also consider no brainers (Gost, Slater):

Edelman
Brady
Gronk
Collins
Hightower
McCourty
Butler

Agreed on the point of positional value. Osweiller appears (as best I can tell) to have the highest average salary on the Texans. Is he the best player? Not even remotely close.

Solder has been overrated on this board from the first day he arrived. That doesn't mean that 100% of the people on the board overrate him. It's just the general position of the board.

Edelman
Brady
Gronk
Collins
Hightower
McCourty
Butler

I think a Matt Light v. Nate Solder poll would be very interesting...
You should get some custom made Nate Solder flip-flops with this post.

You should get some custom made Nate Solder flip-flops with this post.
It does seem strange to "overrate" someone who you consider to be an above average LT. Sure, there's a disclaimer in there but if there's one unit where synergy is a must, it's the OL.

It does seem strange to "overrate" someone who you consider to be an above average LT. Sure, there's a disclaimer in there but if there's one unit where synergy is a must, it's the OL.

I'm not sure why you'd think that strange. If someone called Brady something as lowly as "an above average kind of QB", there'd be such weeping and gnashing of teeth around here as to endanger the future of the entire internet.

I'm not sure why you'd think that strange. If someone called Brady something as lowly as "an above average kind of QB", there'd be such weeping and gnashing of teeth around here as to endanger the future of the entire internet.
Because it's strange to refer to a player as "above average" and in the same line of commentary, say he's overrated by the board. Overrating an above average LT would mean he's one of the greatest of all time, which I haven't seen anyone make that comment about Solder.

I agree with Silva's analysis of the Pats' needs, though I would flip-flop CB & DL…and an OLB who could actually cover RBs & TEs would be nice too.

But Norris' mock that includes only 1 OLman out of 11 picks is a complete Fail.

Solder is overrated by this board, but he is a serviceable starter in this system.
Fair assessment. Move to RT in 2017 when Volmer's contract is done? Start looking for LT in this years Draft? One of Coleman (had cancer scare similar to Cannon. I think BB went to Auburn Pro day), Spriggs (72 knockdowns 31 reps, 4.94 speed), Ifedi and Clark should be available at #60 or #61.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back