Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rocket?

Discussion in 'Red Sox Fan Forum' started by Aldy, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Aldy

Aldy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What does everybody else think? Should the Sox be willing to shell out the $18-20m that it will take to get him here. I personally would love to see it and since we did in fact save money by losing Damon and trading Renteria, that may make up for some of the financial burden of that possible deal. I think it's a still a long shot, video or no video, but it sure would make this year a lot more interesting...
  2. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

well

I would love for Roger to come back to finish his career! however i don't think we should pay the $18mil or so that will be needed to sign him! Interesting tidbit from Shill though:

3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0

He wouldn't pitch as well in the AL as he did in the NL, but I'd still do it

Hell, its not my money and its only one year
  4. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

my concern with roger is will he hold up thru the year at his age.i dont think i want him on the mound in sept or oct in a do or die game .as a number three i would take him .i want curt or beckett out there first
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  5. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

well

Roger has already said that he doesn't think his body is up for another full season. I honestly think he will come back sometime in may or juno and play for the astros--that way it's not a full season and he will be fresh in october!
  6. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If he plays this year, I'd bet it's for the Rangers. That said, I'd take him back. Sure, I think he's a scumbag, but he's a great player. With him aboard, no one's matching our pitching. With a one-year deal, you're not hurting the youth movement at all. The money doesn't matter to me, but the FO has worked hard this offseason to get under the salary cap. I'm sure Wells and/or Clement would be moved for prospects, or role players. Though the CBA expires after this year, and I'm pretty sure those compounding interest things won't carry over, so they probably wouldn't care about going over by a couple mil.
  7. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

there is no salary cap in baseball i think you mean the luxury tax .
  8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0

I'm surprised no one has come up with this yet, but I'd bet Roger re-signs with Houston for one year for a hometown "discount" of @$15 mil with a bonus kicker in the event of a trade

Then, if Houston isn't in the playoff hunt come the trading deadline, he and the team consider offers. Houston gets a prospect, Roger gets a $5 mil trade bonus, gets to compete for a Ring, yet spend most of the season near home.

Then, if he still wants to play next year, he's free to do the same thing all over again.

Seems like a win win for Clemens, Houston and any team in contention come July 31st as they won't need to gamble a full $20 mil on Roger's health.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  9. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd rather waste the money than any type of prospect.
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have little interest in a guy who doesn't want to be there every day. You can't treat all of the players the same financially, but you can expect them to suck it up for the team on their off days.